Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Looking for dog friendly 14er near Denver

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
Let's try to keep the topics related to mountaineering, please.

Re: Looking for dog friendly 14er near Denver

Postby cheeseburglar » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:43 pm

lanternerouge08 wrote:2. National forest requires dogs to be leashed, unless otherwise posted. Whether you choose to follow the leash law or not is your decision, but the law says you should. You are right that wilderness areas also require your pet to be leashed.

Can you provide a reference for this law? I try to stay up on this issue, as my dogs get out with me a lot.
This was not the case last summer, but them dumb politicians and beerocrats are always changing how I'm supposed to live.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes

Postby Jim Davies » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:20 am

lanternerouge08 wrote:
roguejackalope wrote:Why would anyone want to go in the summit building? :P

For donuts, of course. =P~ 14er food of champions.

And water. Pikes is the only 14er where you can refill your bottles with treated water at the summit.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby JE242 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:30 am

Yeah, stupid civilized society and all it's rules that don't line up with what I want to do......

Anyway, in wilderness areas it IS a fineable offence. In national forest (well, @ least The Arapaho), if it is NOT wilderness, it is not a fineable offence. However, county leash laws are inforceable within forest (by Sherriff not FS officers).

As for citing this, I have spent the past 10 minutes trying to find an exact link to this info. The FS websites are impossible to find regs quickly (no wonder the public gets pissed).

Postby rijaca » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:59 am

JE242 wrote:Yeah, stupid civilized society and all it's rules that don't line up with what I want to do......

Anyway, in wilderness areas it IS a fineable offence. In national forest (well, @ least The Arapaho), if it is NOT wilderness, it is not a fineable offence. However, county leash laws are inforceable within forest (by Sherriff not FS officers).

As for citing this, I have spent the past 10 minutes trying to find an exact link to this info. The FS websites are impossible to find regs quickly (no wonder the public gets pissed).

Here ya go.....http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c5/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gjAwhwtDDw9_AI8zPwhQoY6IeDdGCqCPOBqwDLG-AAjgb6fh75uan6BdnZaY6OiooA1tkqlQ!!/dl3/d3/L2dJQSEvUUt3QS9ZQnZ3LzZfMjAwMDAwMDBBODBPSEhWTjJNMDAwMDAwMDA!/?navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&cid=fsm91_058268&navid=170000000000000&pnavid=null&ss=110210&position=Not%20Yet%20Determined.Html&ttype=detail&pname=Arapaho

"Pets must be on a hand-held leash no longer than six feet at all times in most the wilderness areas. Pets must be restrained or on a leash at all times while in developed recreation areas. Pets (except guide dogs) are not allowed in swimming areas or sanitary facilities."
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Postby Tory Wells » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:42 am

cheeseburglar wrote:
lanternerouge08 wrote:2. National forest requires dogs to be leashed, unless otherwise posted. Whether you choose to follow the leash law or not is your decision, but the law says you should. You are right that wilderness areas also require your pet to be leashed.

Can you provide a reference for this law? I try to stay up on this issue, as my dogs get out with me a lot.
This was not the case last summer, but them dumb politicians and beerocrats are always changing how I'm supposed to live.

This is the best I could find, which is for Coronado National Forest, but the important point is state and local laws still apply when one is in national forest lands:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coronado/forest/faq/dog-faq.shtml
The more important point is whether one chooses to obey this law or not. My dog and I spent many adventures in the high mountains running sans leash. She was well trained and obeyed my commands (mostly). But she was a hunting dog and liked to chase animals so I was always worried that someone else would shoot her because of that law allowing someone to shoot a dog that is chasing animals. So if she wanted to chase then I would put her back on leash, or if I felt like she might disturb someone else, I would also put her back on leash.

In all my years of adventuring in Colorado I've never even seen a national forest ranger out on the trail so I can't say how they felt about my actions. I will say that JeffCo Open Space rangers do NOT like dogs off leash and will go out of their way to make a big deal about it.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach

Postby PeteDunnewald » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:41 am

Whether or not dogs need to be leashed varies by forest and wilderness area. Probably determined by each individual ranger district. It seems to be related to how popular/populated the area is. There doesn't seem to to a blanket "Thou shalt leash thy dog unless otherwise allowed" rule/law. The only way I have found to research this is one area at a time. I personally believe in obeying the spirit of the law/rule, which is my dog should not harass wildlife or annoy people. I'm sure that someday that will get me sideways with a ranger. I can talk him out of chasing wildlife and we step to the side of the trail when we meet other hikers or bicylists. It is when we meet another dog that he quits listening and wants to just play. The trials of having a 1 year old pup!
Pete

Postby cheeseburglar » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:47 am

The important thing is that your initial post was dead wrong. You could add the word "Coronado" in front of "National Forest" and then it would be correct.
But there aren't any 14ers in Coronado National Forest, wherever that is.

lanternerouge08 wrote:2. National forest requires dogs to be leashed, unless otherwise posted.

Random FoTH Quotes

Postby Tory Wells » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:10 am

cheeseburglar wrote:The important thing is that your initial post was dead wrong. You could add the word "Coronado" in front of "National Forest" and then it would be correct.
But there aren't any 14ers in Coronado National Forest, wherever that is.

lanternerouge08 wrote:2. National forest requires dogs to be leashed, unless otherwise posted.

So I guess the only way to know for sure is to contact every ranger district in the state and find out what their policies are on unleashed dogs. I can guarantee you though most of them (if not all) will say they have a leash law, or at least say your pet must be leashed. I can say for sure that on the signs near Grays and Torreys Peaks, for example, say dogs must be leashed and that is in Arapaho/Roosevelt NF. Did I let my dog go leashless there? Yes I did.

Any national forest rangers out there can clear up the confusion?
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

-Steve Gladbach

Postby cheeseburglar » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:25 am

Just to add to the confusion:
Dogs are not required to be on leashes in the Flat Tops Wilderness, but they must remain under voice control. Leash requirements vary by trail and district; please check restrictions for your particular hiking site.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gDfxMDT8MwRydLA1cj72BTSw8jAwjQL8h2VAQAng7kaQ!!/?ss=110215&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&cid=FSE_003714&navid=110160000000000&pnavid=110000000000000&position=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&ttype=activity&pname=White%20River%20National%20Forest-%20Hiking

Random FoTH Quotes

Postby Tory Wells » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:35 am

cheeseburglar wrote:Just to add to the confusion:
Dogs are not required to be on leashes in the Flat Tops Wilderness, but they must remain under voice control. Leash requirements vary by trail and district; please check restrictions for your particular hiking site.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gDfxMDT8MwRydLA1cj72BTSw8jAwjQL8h2VAQAng7kaQ!!/?ss=110215&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&cid=FSE_003714&navid=110160000000000&pnavid=110000000000000&position=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&ttype=activity&pname=White%20River%20National%20Forest-%20Hiking

So maybe the popularity of the area is the determining factor as to whether they institute a leash law or not? I've never been to the Flat Tops, but I'm guessing it doesn't see the traffic of, say, the Maroon Bells/Snowmass Wilderness, which does have a leash law.

At any rate, some laws were just meant to broken. I don't have a dog any more...she got the cancer...but I like to think she is still running and climbing with me, leashless of course. :wink:

-Steve Gladbach

Postby JE242 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:38 am

Ahh, gotta love consistancy. ](*,)

Previous