Missing Hiker on Bison Peak

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mountainmanny
14ers: 12 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Missing Hiker on Bison Peak

Post by mountainmanny »

Not good...

I hope for a positive resolve to this.
"The best climber....is the one having the most fun" ~ Alex Lowe
“Adopt the pace of nature; her secret is patience” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
"I believe in God, but not as one thing, not as an old man in the sky. I believe that what people call God is something in all of us. I believe that what Jesus and Mohammed and Buddha and all the rest said was right. It's just that the translations have gone wrong" ~ John Lennon
CRAIGO
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (6)

Post by CRAIGO »

The trail only leads to the summit plateau. It is huge up there and I could see how someone could get lost. Prayers for everyone involved.
markoboston
Trip Reports (0)

Post by markoboston »

I was at the Lost Park trailhead on Monday, and there was a big search and rescue team there. They saw my Massachusetts license plates and tried to talk me out of hiking up the peak solo, since the guy who's missing was hiking solo (and of course it's generally less safe). I went up anyway. It was absolutely spectacular. I got back safely. However, I can see how someone could get into trouble. The rock formations at the summit are beautiful and fascinating, but I can see how they might also be confusing, and since there isn't really a trail to the summit, I can see how someone could get lost, especially if a storm developed and blocked the sun. If a person was lost, there are a lot of miles of wilderness there to keep them lost. Of course we hope for the best, but it's been nearly a month. Incidentally, and I'm not suggesting this happened, it occurred to me that disappearing in the wilderness wouldn't be a bad way to begin a change of identity.
zoomie83
14ers: 40 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (1)

Post by zoomie83 »

So sad. RIP

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_18726623" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Condolences to all his friends and family.
IHikeLikeAGirl
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 329
Trip Reports (6)

Post by IHikeLikeAGirl »

My best to his family and friends as they cope with this loss.... RIP
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steven Wright
Kevin Baker
14ers: 58  53 
13ers: 674 32
Trip Reports (125)

Post by Kevin Baker »

Wow, it would be interesting to hear where he was found. There are plenty of rock formations up there that you can scramble on that could get you in trouble, but the summit itself and the approach along the plateau is relatively benign. May he rest in peace.
Always do what you are afraid to do. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
bohdi88
Trip Reports (1)

Post by bohdi88 »

Approximate location:

rugged terrain off trail...
Last edited by bohdi88 on Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It is not the MOUNTAIN we conquer but OURSELVES
Sir Edmond Hilary
PGClimbs
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PGClimbs »

The local (Denver) news reported this evening that investigators believe Mr. Stanley fell to his death. One of the decedent's friends speculated that Mr. Stanley was probably forced off the mountain and into unfamiliar terrain by bad weather prior to his fall.
Kevin Baker
14ers: 58  53 
13ers: 674 32
Trip Reports (125)

Post by Kevin Baker »

It looks like those coordinates are ~3.5 miles east of the summit near the McCurdy Park trail. There's definitely some rugged terrain in there.
Always do what you are afraid to do. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
colokeith
14ers: 39  2 
13ers: 34 3
Trip Reports (7)

Post by colokeith »

Still strange to me it took so long for him to be reported missing.

One of the DP articles states "But the delay wasn't because the math teacher and soccer coach wasn't missed." but then offers no explanation as to why he wasn't reported missing for 2 weeks.
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson
bohdi88
Trip Reports (1)

Post by bohdi88 »

Three factors
1. Didn't tell anyone he was going to hike Bison Peak.
2. Went alone in unfamiliar territory.
3. Went off trail due to panic of sudden change in weather.

Would further the search...

After talking with his sister and brother; I realized this man had a heart of gold for people in need; especially kids. He will be greatly miss by many...
Last edited by bohdi88 on Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It is not the MOUNTAIN we conquer but OURSELVES
Sir Edmond Hilary
colokeith
14ers: 39  2 
13ers: 34 3
Trip Reports (7)

Post by colokeith »

bohdi88 wrote:A friend much later had to break into his place to see on the calender the scheduled hike to Bison Peak and then the search began.

Three mistakes
1. Didn't tell anyone he was going to hike Bison Peak.
2. Went alone in unfamiliar territory.
3. Went off trail due to panic of sudden change in weather.

I have made the above mistakes at times myself.

After talking with his sister and brother; I realized this man had a heart of gold for people in need; especially kids. He will be greatly miss by many...
Thanks for the info.

Yes all very common mistakes that many of us have made. He seemed like a good man from the articles about him. It is very sad that his life was ended early!
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson