Missing Hiker on Bison Peak

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
PGClimbs
Trip Reports (0)

Missing Hiker on Bison Peak

Post by PGClimbs »

The Denver Post is reporting that rescuers have begun a search on Bison Peak for a hiker who's been missing since July 25. (http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_18668969) The article doesn't give many details, but it certainly seems strange that a search is just now being undertaken. Anyone who's climbed Bison knows it isn't a cake walk--close to 4,000 vertical feet if I recall correctly. I hope he's found safe and sound.
ultrarunner74
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Missing Hiker on Bison Peak

Post by ultrarunner74 »

Missing since july 25? I wonder when the hiker was supposed to be back?
mountainmanny
14ers: 12 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mountainmanny »

Seems questionable....

this is an area of Colorado I have no experience with....is it cliffy in this area?
"The best climber....is the one having the most fun" ~ Alex Lowe
“Adopt the pace of nature; her secret is patience” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
"I believe in God, but not as one thing, not as an old man in the sky. I believe that what people call God is something in all of us. I believe that what Jesus and Mohammed and Buddha and all the rest said was right. It's just that the translations have gone wrong" ~ John Lennon
PGClimbs
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PGClimbs »

mountainmanny wrote:Seems questionable....

this is an area of Colorado I have no experience with....is it cliffy in this area?
The hike itself has no exposure whatsoever. The summit plateau, however, has many formations to climb on, and falling from some of them could easily be deadly.
larkinrx2
14ers: 35 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by larkinrx2 »

ultrarunner74 wrote:Missing since july 25? I wonder when the hiker was supposed to be back?

might be more of an issue that no one was told of their intended plans and they just now noticed/found that the vehicle was in that area?
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.
LupinMorningwake
14ers: 18 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LupinMorningwake »

Last year my mother got lost on Bison when we cut across the mountain descending. It was one of the longest night’s of my life… I definitely feel for the family because I have been there. While Bison is on a class one trail it does pose some challenges near the summit and on the way back to the Brookside McCurdy trail… it is easy to get turned around in the canyon. I hope that he is found safely.
zoomie83
14ers: 40 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (1)

Post by zoomie83 »

While Bison is on a class one trail it does pose some challenges near the summit and on the way back to the Brookside McCurdy trail
2 years ago coming off of Bison Arm I started the wrong way down the Brookside McCurdy Trail but Derek and Greenhouseguy corrected me. It was very easy to do and I could've ended up going the completely opposite direction from Bison Pass.

Prayers for the searchers and for a safe return.
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Post by Derek »

PGClimbs wrote:Anyone who's climbed Bison knows it isn't a cake walk--close to 4,000 vertical feet if I recall correctly.
Sounds like his vehicle was at Lost Park TH, so probably headed in from the east. A little bit less traveled that way and less elevation, but quite a bit more mileage. (ie, more area to get lost.) If you're not used to the area, I could see getting a bit turned around, especially if you are trying to "shortcut" in any way.

Hoping for the best.
zoomie83 wrote:2 years ago coming off of Bison Arm I started the wrong way down the Brookside McCurdy Trail but Derek and Greenhouseguy corrected me.
Was that when we did the combo?

-D
zoomie83
14ers: 40 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (1)

Post by zoomie83 »

Was that when we did the combo?
Certainly was. Thanks again for that correction, BTW.
Sounds like his vehicle was at Lost Park TH, so probably headed in from the east. A little bit less traveled that way and less elevation, but quite a bit more mileage. (ie, more area to get lost.) If you're not used to the area, I could see getting a bit turned around, especially if you are trying to "shortcut" in any way.
I wonder if the searchers have considered the "shortcut" that Dave Muller's book describes as a descent route, going Northwest off the summit to regain the Indian Creek Trail.

Still praying for the best.
bohdi88
Trip Reports (1)

Post by bohdi88 »

As of 5:30PM today; the search is still ongoing. Thanks for the shortcut suggestion of Dave Muller's book. I am actually headed up to relieve my team members in the morning for the search. They wil be searching through the night. I will pass on the information.
It is not the MOUNTAIN we conquer but OURSELVES
Sir Edmond Hilary
bif
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by bif »

this is every year! I wish for the best , but everybody get a PLB.
PGClimbs
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PGClimbs »

Looks like the search is ongoing.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_18713648" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;