hike recommendation for east side of RMNP

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Lizjjackson
14ers: 5 
Trip Reports (0)

hike recommendation for east side of RMNP

Post by Lizjjackson »

Taking advantage of a much needed day offand heading into RMNP. Does anyone have a fav spot? - was thinking hiking into one of the lakes. Thank you
sad2
14ers: 46 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Re: hike recommendation for east side of RMNP

Post by sad2 »

Sandbeach Lake from Wild Basin

or Sky Pond
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

Finch Lake from Wild Basin is a nice hike. You also have the option of continuing on up to Pear Lake.

You can also take trails from Wild Basin up to Ouzel Lake, Thunder Lake, and the Lion Lakes depending on how far of a hike you want. Wild Basin is usually less crowded than the park proper up near Estes. If you use the trailhead near Allenspark to access Finch and Pear Lakes, you don't have to pay an entrance fee.
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

I think the best hike on the east side is Glacier Gorge. It has waterfalls, mountain lakes, and of course the excellent view of the back side of Longs.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
Doctor No
14ers: 35  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Doctor No »

Love Wild Basin - good hike up to Bluebird Lake (or beyond?).

Glacier Gorge / Black Lake (or beyond?) is also nice.

Ypsilon Lake is also a very pretty hike.
EricB
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by EricB »

A few of my favorites are:

Chasm Lake
Sky Pond and/or Andrews Tarn
Lake Helene/Lake Odessa
mountain_man
14ers: 38  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mountain_man »

+1 on anything in Wild Basin. I haven't done the south side, Finch or Pear Lakes, but Sandbeach and Ouzel lakes were amazing. One of these days I'll get to Bluebird.

If you want a long, but easy hike, do Lawn Lake up to Crystal Lakes. If you have the energy and time you can get Fairchild mountain at the very end.
"To live and not to breathe is to die in tragedy." - Billie Joe Armstrong
"What I know I could put into a pack as if it were bread and cheese, and carry it on one shoulder, important and honorable, but so small! While everything else continues, unexplained, and unexplainable." - Mary Oliver
Papillon
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 324 7
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Papillon »

mountain_man wrote:One of these days I'll get to Bluebird.
Bluebird is pretty slick. If you find yourself up there, it is worth the extra effort to meander up to Isolation Lake. It is off trail but the terrain is mellow.

I think the RT distances in Wild Basin turn a lot of people off but the miles go quickly on solid trails. It would be a great place to run if that is your thing.

Mount Alice via Lion Lake 1-Lion Lake 2-Snowbank Lake might be my most enjoyable day in The Rockies.
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs
edhaman
14ers: 15 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by edhaman »

I also like the Odessa Canyon hike. You start at Bear Lake and follow the signs for Odessa Lake and Fern Lake. You pass Lake Helene, Odessa Lake, Fern Lake, Fern Falls, and The Pool; and end up at the Fern Lake trailhead. You can then walk about .7 mile down the road where you can catch a shuttle bus back to your car. It's about 9 miles; 1,200 feet up, and 1,800 feet down. If you want a little more exercise, do it in the other direction.
ChrisRoberts
14ers: 12 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChrisRoberts »

My favorite lake in RMNP (and I've been to most) is Andrews Tarn. Not too difficult, and you lose most people after the Loch.

If you do go down to Wild Basin, cant go wrong with Bluebird.
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
NoCoChris: Now with less Colorado!
Lizjjackson
14ers: 5 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Lizjjackson »

Thank you all for your time and thoughts.. I have a lot to help with myy decision. Hoping for nice weather tomorrow!!
Doctor No
14ers: 35  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Doctor No »

ChrisRoberts wrote:Not too difficult, and you lose most people after the Loch.
Heck, you lose most people after Alberta Falls. :lol:

I always feel bad that I didn't continue on to Isolation Lake when I did Bluebird Lake - but now I have a reason to go back up and do it again. I've always wanted to do the East-West traverse, too. Some day, some day...