Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Cheap/free photo editing utilities

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to try and sell your photos or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Cheap/free photo editing utilities

Postby djkest » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:01 am

Wondering what you guys use for editing your pictures?

I have Paint.net, which is free an does basic editing at a much better level than MS paint.
http://www.getpaint.net/
What it does:
It does good resizes, has an "auto-level" feature which works well sometimes, can adjust brightness/contrast and sharpness, and apply "artistic" effects. It's fairly basic but it does okay.

What I would like:
Something that can do batch file management. For example: could rename all the files in the folder from "DSCN10645.jpg" to "sunlight_1.jpg" or whatever. Also do batch resizing.

I'm also curious to know how you manage your files?
I have the full resolution files, unedited. I keep these in case I want to make a modified picture.
I have lower resolution (usually 1280x960) files that I have touched up for use on 14ers.com and facebook, as well as e-mail.
I sometimes have high resolution but modified photos that I keep for printing.
How to keep this all organized?

The one bonus that I have is virtually unlimited storage. I have a 1.5 TB NAS that is raid 0 and has about 1 TB free right now.. so no worries there. I also have 3 different computers.. o.O
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Re: Cheap/free photo editing utilities

Postby OmahaAdam » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:21 am

For cheap/free, try Picasa or GIMP.

To answer your other question, I predominantly use Adobe Lightroom.

EDIT: Here's the link to the site for Lightroom. Download the trial - it's fully functional, no watermarks, etc. You'll be hooked. :) http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshoplightroom/
Last edited by OmahaAdam on Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby mattpayne11 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:42 am

THE best utility for editing and organizing photos is Lightroom. It is incredible I could talk for hours about all of the ways it will blow your mind. It is seriously worth the $150 it generally costs.

Postby djkest » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:02 am

Some of those samples of DNR from lightroom look amazing. I like my Camera (Nikon S8100) but the images it produces aren't real good. They need some help! I might just take the plunge and get lightroom.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby OmahaAdam » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:14 am

Take the plunge. I've been using Lightroom since the beginning and have it organizing and managing well over 100,000 images now. Worth it in every way. There are some really good tutorials out there, from AdobeTV and others, and plenty of people like myself who are more than happy to answer questions.

Postby ngoodnight » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:33 am

+1 on Lightroom. There's a reason it's the professional standard. You won't find a better processing tool.

Postby Sugar Madison » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:31 pm

GIMP is free and powerful but the learning curve is really steep... I like Adobe's products better (but they are uber pricey). Catch-22.

Postby groomden » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:07 pm

if you are in school, or if you have a kid in a k-12 program, you can likely get lightroom for $100 bucks. check out journeyed, there are several other educational software sites out there too. you usually just need to email your kids report card or something saying they are enrolled to be verified and then you will be eligible for student pricing. i have a copy of lightroom 2.0 i picked up that way and it is the exact same product as the street version.

it isn't always that case, i have an educational copy of autodesk's autocad lt and there is a watermark when you print.

if you are good friends with someone that has a kid in school, or know someone going to grad school, yada, yada... you get the idea;-)

adobe products are definately the full retail versions.

dennis

Postby Waggs » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:10 pm

djkest wrote:Wondering what you guys use for editing your pictures?

What I would like:
Something that can do batch file management. For example: could rename all the files in the folder from "DSCN10645.jpg" to "sunlight_1.jpg" or whatever. Also do batch resizing.

IrfanView

I used this a lot to rename/resize batches of pics for website uploads

Waggs
Gloves are optional. Mittens mandatory - S. Gladbach

Postby groomden » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:14 pm

journeyed has lightroom 3 up for $70 bucks right now... http://www.journeyed.com/product/search?qk_srch=%2420+Adobe+Promo&sort_by=searchWeight&qk_srch=%2420+Adobe+Promo&srch_cat=&sort_by=searchWeight&per_page=25&product_filters[apply

ps -- why on earth would you need to rename a file from random characters to bobby.jpg? even using picassa there is no need to ever rename, plus its an excellent file manager/photo adjustment software for free:-)

you may actually be pleased just using picassa: http://picasa.google.com/

hope this helps

dennis

Postby RocksAreNeat » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:14 pm

+1 for Picasa. Lightroom is better in every way except simplicity (and not being free). I can drastically improve 200 photos in an hour or two.

That said, I'm pretty sure if I took the time to learn Lightroom it would be just as fast. Problem for me is that if I have a bajillion controls in front of me to adjust the photo, I end up ](*,) for hours on a single photo trying to achieve perfection.

Postby Bean » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:20 pm

Lightroom is not cheap but it is an incredible value, especially if you can get it on sale. I would have ripped my hair out long ago trying to slowly process one photo at a time.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Next