Let's see your black & whites!!

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Mark Curtis
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Let's see your black & whites!!

Post by Mark Curtis »

skibum4life wrote:Just a couple. Don't mean to brag but that one was a self-timer shot :D
Go ahead and brag! This is no place to hold back! :wink: Besides, there's a difference between bragging and being proud of something.....putting your best foot forward. You should talk about something that was difficult to pull off, and, in this case we would not have known it was you in the photo had you not mentioned it.

They are both very intriguing shots.....just way too small! Please post again.....and display some "boasting" with the pixel count so we can all see more of what you felt was worth posting. 8)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/46092977@N07/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

I already know I'm going to get blasted for this - but to me, the recorded image is just a starting point.

Any excuse to make art.

What the shutter sees is often mundane. What the shutter sees that gets recorded on the sensor and rendered by the in-camera processor is a cardboard cutout of the mundane. Sometimes, though, what is left, is raw material to create what one sees in the mind's eye, what one sees in dreams.

Deanna Gomes is a master of creation of the fantastic from the basic of the mundane. She has been a huge influence. She will often take stock photography - nothing even off her own shutter - and wield her art.

A small example...

The subject is her daughter. The rest is an amalgamation of about thirteen different stock pieces. Obviously, this is not "real" or "what the camera saw." So there are many that won't care for this sort of thing. But to me, this is the penultimate of the photographers' quest.

I think her example is sufficient justification for the means. All the elements of composition are there... Is it art? Or is it photography?

I can see elements of this creativity in many of the offerings on this thread. Let's keep up the good work!

:D
Dancesatmoonrise
Trip Reports (68)

Last edited by Dancesatmoonrise on Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mountainmicah83
14ers: 58  3  10 
13ers: 10 1
Trip Reports (24)

Post by mountainmicah83 »

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:Julia Katzenbach onsiting "Allegation" (5.10c)
Where is that route??? Never heard of it?
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." -- Calvin Coolidge

Visit my blog at: http://mountainmicah.blogspot.com
Mark Curtis
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark Curtis »

IMGP4766-6.JPG
IMGP4766-6.JPG (235.33 KiB) Viewed 3499 times
http://www.flickr.com/photos/46092977@N07/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
vonmackle
14ers: 30 
13ers: 93 1
Trip Reports (13)

Post by vonmackle »

Here are a couple of perspectives of Angels Landing in Zion National Park. The first is a view of Angels Landing from Scout Lookout.
AngelsLanding4614-SM.jpg
AngelsLanding4614-SM.jpg (336.24 KiB) Viewed 3470 times

The second image was taken about 50 yards away and shows quite a contrasting view...

AngelWaste4606-SM.jpg
AngelWaste4606-SM.jpg (313.17 KiB) Viewed 3470 times
"To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable." -Ludwig van Beethoven
mattpayne11
14ers: 58 
13ers: 111
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

vonmackle wrote:Here are a couple of perspectives of Angels Landing in Zion National Park. The first is a view of Angels Landing from Scout Lookout.
AngelsLanding4614-SM.jpg

The second image was taken about 50 yards away and shows quite a contrasting view...

AngelWaste4606-SM.jpg
Wow man those are awesome - I really like that one of Zion!
vonmackle
Trip Reports (13)

Post by vonmackle »

mattpayne11 wrote:
What can I say...I'm such a badass! :lol: (Thanks for the Wilson trip report...got a good chuckle out of that!) Seriously though, thanks for the compliment. I've been wrestling with the Angels Landing Photo for quite a while. I'm still having trouble with the trees on top of Angels Landing. I adjusted the sky separately using a layer mask, but if you look closely you'll notice parts of the trees are mangled. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to deal with this problem. Any suggestions?
"To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable." -Ludwig van Beethoven
ngoodnight
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 73
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ngoodnight »

Took this one on a recent climb.
Attachments
Bernese Oberland, Switzerland
Bernese Oberland, Switzerland
bo.jpg (279.26 KiB) Viewed 3326 times
mattpayne11
14ers: 58 
13ers: 111
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

vonmackle wrote:
mattpayne11 wrote:
What can I say...I'm such a badass! :lol: (Thanks for the Wilson trip report...got a good chuckle out of that!) Seriously though, thanks for the compliment. I've been wrestling with the Angels Landing Photo for quite a while. I'm still having trouble with the trees on top of Angels Landing. I adjusted the sky separately using a layer mask, but if you look closely you'll notice parts of the trees are mangled. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to deal with this problem. Any suggestions?
What is it that is mangled about them? I can't really tell in this version.
Dancesatmoonrise
Trip Reports (68)

ngoodnight wrote:Took this one on a recent climb.
Pretty sweet image.
vonmackle
Trip Reports (13)

Post by vonmackle »

mattpayne11 wrote: What is it that is mangled about them? I can't really tell in this version.
Yes, it is difficult to see this detail in such a small version of this photo. I need to figure out how to refine my selections. I adjusted the sky using a layer mask, otherwise it would have been completely blown out after converting to black and white. I failed to get some parts of the trees within my selection area, so those parts of the trees appear unnaturally brighter compared to the rest of the tree. You can also see hints of 'ghost trees' that didn't make it into the selection at all.