Granite Peak Mountana

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Alan Ellis
14ers: 41  6 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Granite Peak Mountana

Post by Alan Ellis »

dsunwall wrote:I have heard there is more snow to deal with this year on Granite. I don't know anything more specific though.
I heard the same thing. The snow bridge will probably be there all season.

And Barry..... why don't you return phone calls? :)
Sack up and climb.
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

You said you were busy on the weekends... :wink: I guess you are off today?
dsunwall
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 399
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dsunwall »

ha, I just noticed your unique spelling of Montana, I guess you had mountains on your mind.
TerryLiv
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TerryLiv »

SarahT wrote:The std route is definately harder than Capitol; most parties bring a rope. Sustained 4th class with a couple of low 5th class moves and significant routefinding. We had a group of 3 strong & experienced Colorado scramblers and one asked for the rope in two spots going up. We all did several rappels on the way down. I have some pictures of the scrambling that may help give you an idea of what to expect: http://www.13ergirl.com/granite/granite.html
Sarah,

Great pictures. Thanks.

Terry
Norse Ski
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Norse Ski »

I'll throw my 2 cents in. The exposure is certainly huge and a definite no fall zone, but if you can deal with that the climbing is no more than low 5th class. You just have to remember that down climbing with exposure is a bit more scary. I really enjoyed the FTD route and found it easily doable in about 8 hrs. if you go light and that is your preference. Otherwise, camping up on FTD could be really fun too. Sounds like fun and I hope you'll post a TR with pics. As a native Montanan I'm jealous and wish I could go.
Alan Ellis
14ers: 41  6 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Alan Ellis »

Norse Ski wrote:I'll throw my 2 cents in. The exposure is certainly huge and a definite no fall zone, but if you can deal with that the climbing is no more than low 5th class. You just have to remember that down climbing with exposure is a bit more scary. I really enjoyed the FTD route and found it easily doable in about 8 hrs. if you go light and that is your preference. Otherwise, camping up on FTD could be really fun too. Sounds like fun and I hope you'll post a TR with pics. As a native Montanan I'm jealous and wish I could go.
8 hours to the summit from the trailhead.....or round trip?
Sack up and climb.