Granite Peak Mountana

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
TerryLiv
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Granite Peak Mountana

Post by TerryLiv »

I am planning a climb over Labor Day weekend. Any takers? Anyone done it? How is the top section compared to after the knife ridge of Capitol?

Thanks,

Terry
hansolo35
14ers: 42  3 
Trip Reports (10)

Re: Granite Peak Mountana

Post by hansolo35 »

did Granite over Labor Day weekend 10 years ago. the pitch to the summit from the high col is pretty serious with big exposure (ie: you don't want to fall). Totally class 4 for a few hundred feet with I believe some low class 5 moves thrown in for spicyness. In my opinion Granite is a tougher climb than Capitol, with the crux worse than the knife-edge (although both have serious exposure). the moves to attain Granite's summit are tougher than the scoot across the knife. But I climbed Granite solo and considering my skills on rock aren't the best (I'm a solid 5.7 climber tops), you can do it. It's a spectacular peak in a remote wilderness.
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

I've often considered this route ... certainly less traffic than the standard route (doesn't use FTD plateau, the snow bridge or standard climbing route).

Route Description
http://www.summitpost.org/southwest-cou ... ute/160092" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Trip Reports
http://www.summitpost.org/granite-peak- ... oir/549417" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.summitpost.org/from-mt-to-tx ... -80/557311" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
CliminDave
13ers: 71
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Granite Peak Montana

Post by CliminDave »

Climbed Granite a few years back. It was a wonderful trip! The climb itself is a challenge with Class 4+ near the top. We used a rope but could have done it without as well. The scariest part for me was not on the climb but on the Froze-to-Death Plateau. We camped there 2 nights. The Mt goats have learned the 'salt in the urine' thing and will walk right up to a urinating human type. I had to zip up a couple of times for fear of being impaled! Anyway, it is a great climb that is now a cherished memory. Best of luck!
TerryLiv
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Granite Peak Montana

Post by TerryLiv »

CliminDave wrote:Climbed Granite a few years back. It was a wonderful trip! The climb itself is a challenge with Class 4+ near the top. We used a rope but could have done it without as well. The scariest part for me was not on the climb but on the Froze-to-Death Plateau. We camped there 2 nights. The Mt goats have learned the 'salt in the urine' thing and will walk right up to a urinating human type. I had to zip up a couple of times for fear of being impaled! Anyway, it is a great climb that is now a cherished memory. Best of luck!
Reminds me of Chicago Basin. When we left camp there were 8 goats in camp checking out our urine. Closest one was about 20 feet away.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Any takers
Hmmm, seriously tempting.

I was thinking of something closer, but I've always wanted to climb Granite.

If I did go, I'd be coming from Craig. I wonder if there would be somewhere we could meet and carpool from there?

Also, I know my son would want to go, but I assume that you may not want a younger climber to come along on this one?
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
pbakwin
14ers: 56 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (19)

Post by pbakwin »

My brother has done the standard & SW Couloir rtes & confirms that the SW Coul is easier. I did the standard rte & would say it is harder climbing than any standard rte on a Colo 14er - by a good bit. Class 5 for sure.
Alan Ellis
14ers: 41  6 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Alan Ellis »

Granite via the East Ridge/South Face is harder than Capitol. Here is my Granite Peak route page if you decide on the East Ridge/South Face: http://www.jackieandalan.com/graniteroute.html
Sack up and climb.
SarahT
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 670 168
Trip Reports (75)

Post by SarahT »

The std route is definately harder than Capitol; most parties bring a rope. Sustained 4th class with a couple of low 5th class moves and significant routefinding. We had a group of 3 strong & experienced Colorado scramblers and one asked for the rope in two spots going up. We all did several rappels on the way down. I have some pictures of the scrambling that may help give you an idea of what to expect: http://www.13ergirl.com/granite/granite.html
Last edited by SarahT on Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Die Zeit ist unendlich lang und ein jeder Tag ein Gefäß, in das sich sehr viel eingießen lässt, wenn man es wirklich ausfüllen will.... Goethe
http://www.13ergirl.com/
Alan Ellis
14ers: 41  6 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Alan Ellis »

SarahT wrote:The std route is definately harder than Capitol; most parties bring a rope. Sustained 4th class with a couple of low 5th class moves and significant routefinding. We had a group of 3 strong & experienced Colorado scramblers and one asked for the rope in one spot going up. We all did several rappels on the way down. I have some pictures of the scrambling that may help give you an idea of what to expect: http://www.13ergirl.com/granite/granite.html
Nice photos!
Sack up and climb.
dsunwall
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 399
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dsunwall »

I have heard there is more snow to deal with this year on Granite. I don't know anything more specific though.
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

Pics look a lot like Jagged.