Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Rescue Underway between Bierstadt and Evans

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Re: Rescue Underway between Bierstadt and Evans

Postby Sugar Madison » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:27 pm

Doug Shaw wrote:
Sugar Madison wrote:I agree with Doug... if you were peeing clear, it wasn't dehydration. It sounds like a classic case of hyponatremia. Way more dangerous than dehydration.

I missed it in the first read or two (hint: use paragraphs... the enter key is your friend!), but he also talks about possibly having a fever. #-o

Ah, I totally missed that part. That was painful to coherently read, to say the least...

Postby danb » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:53 pm

Glad you are okay!

Postby schrund » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:01 pm

I've learned to keep a small bottle of Potable Aqua http://www.rei.com/product/407071/potable-aqua-iodine-tablets in my pack, that way I can fill up from any water source if I run out~
We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams... as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness".
-Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Chief

Postby mountainmanny » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:06 pm

Only one feisable question can really be asked....

What Would Bear Grylls Do?

"The best climber....is the one having the most fun" ~ Alex Lowe
“Adopt the pace of nature; her secret is patience” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
"I believe in God, but not as one thing, not as an old man in the sky. I believe that what people call God is something in all of us. I believe that what Jesus and Mohammed and Buddha and all the rest said was right. It's just that the translations have gone wrong" ~ John Lennon

Postby queequeg » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:36 pm

Skydzntcare

brave post and one that we all benefit from. Kudos to you for calling for help, getting yourself safely off the mountain, taking responsibility for what happened and telling us all about it without being defensive. Corsar cards all around.

peace

Postby skydzntcare » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:39 pm

The only thing that lead me to believe it was dehydration was because drinking the water she gave me seemed to do the trick. I pretty sure i wasn't sodium deficient, i eat maybe a little too much sodium as my brother and sister like to tell me but it is possible. i had 4 bananas on the mountain, and a full breakfast b4 i left home. Four hours of sleep didn't help either. but im not use to getting up at the butt crack of dawn. I was getting at least 10 hours of sleep a night the past couple weeks tho. I did get contacted by an alpine rescuer and got that resolved. The two people that helped me contacted the sheriffs after we got off the mountain. Whatever it was water did the trick.

Also if anybody knows, i know cell phones are very unreliable up climbing mountains but do walkie talkies suffer like cell phones or do they still work like they should? (up climbing 14er's)

Ya i definitely got a corsar card now.

Postby mountainmanny » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:18 pm

Image....far more efficient, just bring enough string.
"The best climber....is the one having the most fun" ~ Alex Lowe
“Adopt the pace of nature; her secret is patience” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
"I believe in God, but not as one thing, not as an old man in the sky. I believe that what people call God is something in all of us. I believe that what Jesus and Mohammed and Buddha and all the rest said was right. It's just that the translations have gone wrong" ~ John Lennon

Postby Tortoise1 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:35 pm

skydzntcare wrote:The only thing that lead me to believe it was dehydration was because drinking the water she gave me seemed to do the trick. I pretty sure i wasn't sodium deficient, i eat maybe a little too much sodium as my brother and sister like to tell me but it is possible. i had 4 bananas on the mountain, and a full breakfast b4 i left home. Four hours of sleep didn't help either. but im not use to getting up at the butt crack of dawn. I was getting at least 10 hours of sleep a night the past couple weeks tho. I did get contacted by an alpine rescuer and got that resolved. The two people that helped me contacted the sheriffs after we got off the mountain. Whatever it was water did the trick.

Also if anybody knows, i know cell phones are very unreliable up climbing mountains but do walkie talkies suffer like cell phones or do they still work like they should? (up climbing 14er's)

Ya i definitely got a corsar card now.

You're obviously much better now - writing in paragraphs. Glad you're OK.

Postby EM_in_CO » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:37 pm

Good evening, skydzntcare.

If you don't mind my asking, what was included in your breakfast? And how much water had you consumed the day before your hike?

The reason I ask is Heat Exhaustion (leading to Heat Stroke) and Hyponatremia can have very similar signs/symptoms. The difference is Heat Exhaustion patients need water; Hyponatremia patients need sodium (and, perhaps, other electrolytes). Bananas have hardly any sodium and neither does Vitamin Water (the Vitamin Water has some other electrolytes, but not sodium). The Clif bar does have some sodium, but not a great deal (maybe 6% of the "daily need" based off the 2,000 calorie diet standards - again, not a lot). It seems to me that if you had Hyponatremia the water and vitamin water intake would have worsened your condition. However, each person acts a little different when suffering Hyponatremia depending upon their level of sodium deficiency.

On a side note, Wilderness Medicine Institute (WMI) - a division of NOLS - puts together monthly/quarterly scenarios as part of its newsletter to its Wilderness First Responders (WFRs), WEMTs, WAFAs, and WFAs alumni. If you feel like sharing it, your story may be picked for a scenario and help certified first aid and wilderness medicine folks brush up on their skills. You can contact WMI here if you so choose to share your story: http://www.nols.edu/contact/wmi_comments.php

Glad to hear you recovered and lived to learn from the experience, as well as share your experience with others.

Postby Sugar Madison » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:01 am

skydzntcare wrote:The only thing that lead me to believe it was dehydration was because drinking the water she gave me seemed to do the trick..

If you were peeing clear, you weren't dehydrated, plain and simple. It may have been something else besides hyponatremia, but it wasn't dehydration...

Postby jimlup » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:22 am

skydntzcare I'm glad to hear that you are OK. Don't think of yourself as stupid. Lesson learned - now you are wiser.

I'm pretty convinced that it was AMS. I would agree that it wasn't dehydration. AMS can be treated with fluids.
"Just because you have the gear does not mean that you are a Mountaineer!" My daughter's cynical comment about my hobby...

Postby skydzntcare » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:54 pm

EM_in_CO wrote:Good evening, skydzntcare.

If you don't mind my asking, what was included in your breakfast? And how much water had you consumed the day before your hike?

I have a cereal bowl of Special K with red berries every morning. About 2/5's of the bag each bowl and 3 cups of milk with it. And just curious is it possible to be dehydrated after you pee clear? I'd think that peeing clear would mean you were hydrated when the water went through you about a half hour to an hour ago and you wouldn't know your dehydrated since peeing last because your body is absorbing all the water it can. I'm sure it's hard to dehydrate in that amount of time but under certain conditions I wonder if it would be possible.

I'm not too sure about heat exhaustion. Once i stopped climbing and laid down i started to feel cold and shake and still felt bad even after cooling off. But that may have been normal from heat exhaustion up there.

I once had altitude sickness when i was younger up skiing on copper for my first time. It felt alike though i wasn't out of breath. Water seemed to help me then also. It was a combination of sweating, altitude, lack of food, lack of water, and over exertion. What ever the right diagnosis was water helped and i felt better as i climbed down.

PreviousNext