Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Rescue Underway between Bierstadt and Evans

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Rescue Underway between Bierstadt and Evans

Postby rking007 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:48 pm

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_18680971?source=rss

Doesn't exactly say Sawtooth but I can only imagine it is...

Prayers out to those needing rescue and those doing the rescuing... [-o<
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.

Re: Rescue Underway between Bierstadt and Evans

Postby SurfNTurf » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:11 pm

Hope this turns out OK...thoughts with the climbers, families and rescuers.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby a94buff » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:52 pm

Man, do yourself a favor and don't read the comments section on the Denver post article.

Postby somethingrandom » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:08 pm

Not sure if there is any link and/or if the DP is accurate but Flight for Life was near the Sawtooth Ridge yesterday about 1030A.

My thoughts and prayers are with anyone involved.
-Just as soon as you idiot proof something, some a**hole is just going to come along and make a better idiot.

-To Cessna: "November one, zero, four Lima Papa, wind 080 at 90 peak gusts 120, runway 35 cleared for takeoff"

To fellow controller: "Watch this sh!t"

-Whether climbing or flying, the single greatest thing to remember is that every ascent is optional, and if you feel like making another, your subsequent descent is mandatory.

Postby MtHurd » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:09 pm

Why do these news organizations even allow comments?

Postby timstich » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:04 pm

"I'm so sick of hearing about these falling hikers, locally and in other states. I have been on many a hike and have never fallen"

Ha ha ha! :lol:

Always a first time. Damn, my ankle still hurts from last weekend. I've been on many hikes and never hurt my ankle before. I believe this is known as the "gambler's fallacy" of reasoning.

Postby thevagabond » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:12 pm

looks like there's been an update.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_18680971?source=rss

"Rescuers mobilized to the Abyss Lake area, but the injured man "apparently wasn't as hurt as we had been lead to believe," said Alpine Rescue spokesman Bill Barwick.

They never found him. Barwick said he didn't expect an investigation into the calls, but rather assumes the man hiked out on his own.

"But we don't know, because we never found him," Barwick said."

Postby ScreeScrambler » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:32 pm

I was up on Bierstadt today just after this happened. Some guys at the top were asking people if they had cell reception to call 911 and report that a hiker had fallen from the sawtooth ridge. I hope the guy is OK and managed to hike out on his own like the news article said. I've gotta say, it was a somber down hike for me...

Postby gurlyclimber » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:33 am

Tim what did you fo to yourself? :D
There are some trips you never fully come back from.

Postby timstich » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:41 am

gurlyclimber wrote:Tim what did you fo to yourself? :D

I was hiking out after doing Sharkstooth and on level ground stepped on a cobble that was placed at the edge of the trail. My foot rolled off to the right and I fell into the field. I heard it pop and thought I broke something. I was amazed how dizzy I became when I tried to stand and had to sit down. A nice lady who is an EMT told me to drink some water and she checked out the ankle and put a tape wrap on it.

You have to figure this could happen on a lot harder terrain, too. I'm definitely not leaving an essential first aid kit at home again. It's just funny reading someone's comments on the news site scoffing at others who have taken a fall.

Postby djkest » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:23 am

So it sounds like possibly other hikers saw this person fall and decided to call 911 without checking with him to see if he would make it out OK? :/
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby Fiemus » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:36 pm

djkest wrote:So it sounds like possibly other hikers saw this person fall and decided to call 911 without checking with him to see if he would make it out OK? :/

That's my assumption... On the one hand you have Alpine and other SAR teams from outside CC/JeffCo being mobilized for a wild goose chase - but balanced against that is the benefit of getting a swift response underway for a potentially life-threatening event. You can't always afford to wait for confirmed injuries before sounding the alarm - and without a lot more detail it's hard to judge in this case if the reporting party was irresponsible in calling 911 when they did.

Next