Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Moving to Colorado after college

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Re: Moving to Colorado after college

Postby DurangoJenn » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:08 pm

I just saw this ad in my local (Durango, CO) paper today and thought if you're interested in the area and field, you could contact the company to find out about future opportunities:

Durango CO based company seeks GEOLOGISTS for well-site geology & mud logging. Applicants must have BS in geology and prior experience in oil and gas drilling. Travel & 4WD req’d. Top pay to qualified personnel. Resumes to dgogeo@gmail.com

The gas industry is big business in La Plata County. Another place you can keep an eye on job opps is http://www.southernuteoa.com/OA/JobOrders/List.aspx

Good luck with your decision!

Postby Bowman » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:03 pm

llamaman wrote:Two connecticut transplants in one thread...wow.

One more here. Born and raised in central Connecticut (New Britain/Newington). After getting my undergrad in Virginia and master's in Illinois, I moved to CO to get my PhD. I passed up offers at better schools in order to live out here. I don't regret it at all.
"—so long as I get somewhere," Alice added as an explanation.
"Oh, you're sure to do that," said the Cat, "if you only walk long enough."

Postby jaypeak88 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:28 pm

Bowman wrote:
llamaman wrote:Two connecticut transplants in one thread...wow.

One more here. Born and raised in central Connecticut (New Britain/Newington). After getting my undergrad in Virginia and master's in Illinois, I moved to CO to get my PhD. I passed up offers at better schools in order to live out here. I don't regret it at all.

Three Connecticans, definitely surprising!

Thanks so much everyone for your help, I really appreciate all of it. Hearing the stories about people moving out without plans makes me think that it's a definite possibility after undergrad.

Thanks again!

Postby scott goldberg » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:22 pm

...more of the same...January of 1978 loaded up my 1971 Buick Skylark after graduating college in Wisconsin, headed west, and never looked back. As much as I love Denver, I almost wish I would have kept going, to Buena Vista, Ouray, or Durango...Denver's gotten too darn big. But it's been great living in Colorado, I'd never live anywhere else.

Postby wsharber » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:39 am

I'm in the same boat. I am a senior in computer science at The University of Tennessee in Knoxville and my hopes are to move to Colorado. I'd love to find some kind of IT job as I am on the IT team here for the university. Problem is, I don't have a clue where to start looking. Any suggestions?
"The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say."

- J.R.R. Tolkien

Postby ajkagy » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:55 am

wsharber wrote:I'm in the same boat. I am a senior in computer science at The University of Tennessee in Knoxville and my hopes are to move to Colorado. I'd love to find some kind of IT job as I am on the IT team here for the university. Problem is, I don't have a clue where to start looking. Any suggestions?

you shouldn't have too much of a problem finding a job with a comp sci degree...there are plenty of tech jobs in Denver/Boulder/Fort Collins area. I've been in the tech field for 5-6 years now and have a work at home job so i can pretty much live anywhere. It's definitely a rewarding field to be in right now.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby larkinrx2 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:22 pm

try applying as a pharmcy technician until you can find a job in your field
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.

Postby schrund » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:36 pm

What school in Pennsylvania?
We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams... as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness".
-Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Chief

Postby RJansen77 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:49 pm

schrund wrote:What school in Pennsylvania?

Hey, jaypeak88 here under my new "Colorado" username (decided to make a more appropriate one when I moved to Denver). Anyhow, I went to Dickinson College in Carlisle, Pennsylvania. Got a job offer as a geology technician back in April and moved out here right around Memorial Day. Been climbing almost every weekend and loving it!

Robert
"But it doesn't matter if your in Valdez skiing out of a helicopter, or putzing around on a flat hill somewhere in Iowa. That adrenaline rush comes when you satisfy your most basic instinct, your own search for freedom."

-Warren Miller

I almost always wear a bathing suit when I climb. If you see me say hey!

Postby schrund » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:58 pm

I went to West Chester, and my old roomate teaches music and is on the Dickinson Jazz Quartet~ welcome and nicely done getting out here!
We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams... as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness".
-Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Chief

Postby climbinfool » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:45 am

Colorado's not that great - totally overrated. Have you considered Kansas, Nebraska or Iowa?

climbinfool
"Everybody I know has a big 'but'" - if you can tell me what movie this quote is from (and aren't too embarrassed to admit it), I'll buy you lunch.
"Oh...oh I've got a helmet - I got a beauty!" - George Hanson

Postby mountain_man » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:20 am

climbinfool wrote:Colorado's not that great - totally overrated. Have you considered Kansas, Nebraska or Iowa?

climbinfool

I hear navigating corn fields is much more fun than huffing and puffing up mountains that are too tall to care about. You can die on a mountain, but if you get hungry in a corn field you have all you can eat.
"To live and not to breathe is to die in tragedy." - Billie Joe Armstrong
"What I know I could put into a pack as if it were bread and cheese, and carry it on one shoulder, important and honorable, but so small! While everything else continues, unexplained, and unexplainable." - Mary Oliver

PreviousNext