Let's see your black & whites!!

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Re: Let's see your black & whites!!

Post by Matt »

I just try to take the best photo that I can with my little Canon HS230.
Sometimes, I hit the "enhance" button in iPhoto, but feel like I should just try and work on my shooting technique and perfect using the "manual" setting the camera offers.
It feels like cheating when the quality of a photo depends on something besides the camera.
I like to think that much of photography is being in the right place at the right time, as well as having the eye to spot what looks cool to you and capture it accordingly. Sharing what I see doesn't have to involve altering what I saw. Sometimes, it's luck, sometimes it's legwork. Ansel Adams didn't use Photoshop, Aperture, or Lightbox, but his photos are timeless.
This is not to say that I don't embellish some of the ones I choose to blow up and hang on the walls of my house, though.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
Mark Curtis
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark Curtis »

Just to clarify, I wasn't trying to suggest that JPEGs have a wider dynamic range than RAW. I may have stated it confusingly. What I meant to say was that by using HDR it increases the range for JPEGs vs JPEGs alone. The question is whether or not that is critical to the scene for which you are shooting. As was suggested by Dancesatmoonrise, the Colorado mountains are typically a place where it is quite relevant. I know the camera I have now is greatly improved for that latitude.....even with the JPEG's.

As far as the continous shooting.....all I can say is not all of us have a D7000! :) My K-r also does 6fps, but it does impact the buffer (regardless of card) when using RAW. I agree the higher class card will help, but most cameras are better suited for JPEGs for the type of shooting described. Plus, most of us are not shooting for Sports Illustrated......here's a shot I took of my son playing soccer with the K-r and one of the kit lenses, a JPEG at 200mm: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v259/ ... 17-4-1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Let's put it this way, if you need more detail than that, then you SHOULD be shooting for Sports Illustrated! I got the K-r with 18-55 and 50-200 lenses brand new for $495. Most of the shots I have posted here were with that camera and one of those lenses (a couple of the others with an older Pentax....the *istDL). Check out the mountain goat shots in the Wildlife thread (mine are the ones with the goofy captions! :roll: ) if you want to see more of what a sub 500 dollar camera can do using a JPEG setting.

Finally, here is a quote from a professional review of the K-r: "JPEG processing leads to sharper images than their Raw counterparts, and JPEG images shot at higher ISOs also benefit from greater noise reduction". It does go on to say there is more scope for post processing alteration of both noise and sharpness in RAW, but the point is made for relevance to out of camera shots.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/46092977@N07/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
highpilgrim
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Matt wrote:Ansel Adams didn't use Photoshop, Aperture, or Lightbox, but his photos are timeless
Yeah,Matt, but he was a master of darkroom technique including dodging and burning. His pics are spectacular, partly due to all the compositional skills he had mastered, but also because he knew how to use the technology of the time to amplify everything he had captured in the image.

I'm not sure that Ansel would have shunned all of the new technology. He'd just use it more adroitly.

Greg
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
mattpayne11
13ers: 111
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

highpilgrim wrote:
Matt wrote:Ansel Adams didn't use Photoshop, Aperture, or Lightbox, but his photos are timeless
Yeah,Matt, but he was a master of darkroom technique including dodging and burning. His pics are spectacular, partly due to all the compositional skills he had mastered, but also because he knew how to use the technology of the time to amplify everything he had captured in the image.

I'm not sure that Ansel would have shunned all of the new technology. He'd just use it more adroitly.

Greg
Well stated. Ansel Adams was an average photographer (with great composition skills) but he was a master in the darkroom.

Mark - I get what you are saying now - sorry I got confused hehe.
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

LOVE all the photos...thanks for sharing, folks! =D>
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

Boulder Falls...
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
Mark Curtis
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark Curtis »

ph-10840_filtered-2.jpg
ph-10840_filtered-2.jpg (286.22 KiB) Viewed 3988 times
IMGP3226-8.JPG
IMGP3226-8.JPG (341.88 KiB) Viewed 3989 times
Attachments
ph-10008-2.jpg
ph-10008-2.jpg (295.63 KiB) Viewed 3964 times
http://www.flickr.com/photos/46092977@N07/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

Mark Curtis, dammit, you're a master!!
Mark Curtis
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark Curtis »

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:Mark Curtis, dammit, you're a master!!
Naw, I just have a LOT of fun! :) I just might, though, show those six words to my wife! :lol:
mattpayne11
13ers: 111
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

I meant to post this sooner - Mark your work is really great man - keep it coming!
GeorgiaTyler
14ers: 22 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeorgiaTyler »

Grenadiers, San Juans, CO
Grenadiers, San Juans, CO
23796_1359575399385_1531534805_30910822_2823028_n.jpg (66.75 KiB) Viewed 3785 times
Climb up Pints down
skibum4life
14ers: 35  2 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (2)

Post by skibum4life »

Just a couple. Don't mean to brag but that one was a self-timer shot :D
Attachments
Top of Snowmass
Top of Snowmass
100_0544_2.jpg (37.42 KiB) Viewed 3714 times