Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Ryan Burch sets new Longs FKT - 3:26:10

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Ryan Burch sets new Longs FKT - 3:26:10

Postby doggler » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:56 am

Truly epic. Up in 1:59, down in 1:27. Good work and good luck next week in Leadville.

Ryan's "trip" report

Re: Ryan Burch sets new Longs FKT - 3:26:10

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:09 am

doggler wrote:Truly epic. Up in 1:59, down in 1:27. Good work and good luck next week in Leadville.

Ryan's "trip" report

Frick. That's smokin'.

Nice job, Ryan! =D>

Postby RJansen77 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:14 am

Wow. Would be interesting to see how much faster he could have gone without crowds on the Trough (top section) and Narrows, looks like he lost about 3-4 minutes there. Regardless, that is rolling!

:shock: =D>
"But it doesn't matter if your in Valdez skiing out of a helicopter, or putzing around on a flat hill somewhere in Iowa. That adrenaline rush comes when you satisfy your most basic instinct, your own search for freedom."

-Warren Miller

I almost always wear a bathing suit when I climb. If you see me say hey!

Postby big_red_pride » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:16 am

Animal!

Postby George James » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:18 am

Holy Guacamole.

Seems like that might not be the FKT (here's another fast one), but whatevs. It's a bada$$ athletic display nonetheless. I'm outta breath just thinking about it.

Thanks for the heads up Sean. Thanks for sharing Ryan!
Last edited by George James on Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack
~ The Baron Von Bergschrund

Postby doggler » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:30 am

George James wrote:Holy Guacamole.

Seems like that might not be the FKT, but whatevs. It's a bada$$ athletic display nonetheless. I'm outta breath just thinking about it.

Wow, that was right under my nose and I missed it. I guess knowing how bada$$ fast Ryan is, his time didn't surprise me. JV's, however, kinda did. Good work, kid!

Postby George James » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:43 am

doggler wrote:
George James wrote:Holy Guacamole.

Seems like that might not be the FKT, but whatevs. It's a bada$$ athletic display nonetheless. I'm outta breath just thinking about it.

Wow, that was right under my nose and I missed it. I guess knowing how bada$$ fast Ryan is, his time didn't surprise me. JV's, however, kinda did. Good work, kid!

Yeah actually I've missed information too, and had to change my intial post. Apparently there have been even faster crazies running up and down that thing. Check out these sites, some of these times are truly unbelievable:

Fastest Known Time - Longs Peak CO

Longs Peak Runs

Peter Bakwin wrote:Chris Reveley ran from the TH to the summit and back in 2h04m27s in 1979.

:o
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers

Postby pbakwin » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:30 pm

Thanks for the heads up.

Valliere's up + down time is faster, but he spent some time on the summit which is not included in the RT time. So, it's not clear if his car-to-car time is faster. I'll see if I can get clarification on that. I also want to find out if Valliere & Burch stuck strictly to the main trail. There are many short-cuts, but I think the Keyhole Route record should stick strictly to the main trail. Reveley's (1979) overall car-to-car record of 2:04:27 was via the North Face & using "every trick in the book" for the lower sections.
Last edited by pbakwin on Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby George James » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:42 pm

In retrospect I don't feel good about the fact that I was the guy to initially bring up other peoples times and begin the nit picking of details in this thread. Ryan's run is a fantastic feat and I'm pumped that I get to share in the experience, if only through the magic of the interwebs.

Maybe I could convince some of you guys (Peter, Ryan, Jeff, etc.) to come share some of your stories in person with the kids sometime next spring? That'd be swell.

Postby pbakwin » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:11 pm

Having been up & down the Keyhole route literally dozens of times myself, I know these are very fast times. These guys have my deepest respect. Nevertheless, for record keeping purposes the details are important, so I ask about details only for that reason.

Postby Jeff Valliere » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:45 pm

Last edited by Jeff Valliere on Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby pbakwin » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:47 pm

Thanks for the info Jeff (& everybody). Please keep me posted on future fast times by posting either here or on the FKT site (http://fastestknowntime.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=mountains&thread=44&page=1). My own view is that the Keyhole route records should be done sticking on the main trail all the way. This takes away the variable of route, and the necessity for detailed scouting.

I was up Longs AGAIN today via Keiners. No records, but man what a great mountain & route!

Next