Kings Peak UT in a day

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
TerryLiv
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Kings Peak UT in a day

Post by TerryLiv »

I am climbing this weekend. What suggestions about how to get from the trail at 11,200ft to the bottom of the shortcut chute? Is it just bush-wacking, or are there cairns, etc. Also will I need micro spikes going up or down the shortcut chute.

Thanks,

Terry
pbakwin
14ers: 56 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (19)

Post by pbakwin »

No obvious trail, but the route is very obvious - you just spot the couloir and B-line across the tundra. I wouldn't think you would need any gear for the couloir, but obviously that would depend a lot current snow conditions. Anyway, it's not that steep. We did it last year Sept 23 but only on the return so the snow was already quite soft.
TerryLiv
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TerryLiv »

Thanks,

Help like you just gave is always appreciated.

Terry
skiwall
14ers: 2 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by skiwall »

Keep an eye out for this guy?

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=16773429
"A good woman knows her place is in the backcountry." - PW '08
usfgal
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by usfgal »

I thought there were cairns, but I could be wrong. It sounds like you are talking about the first shortcut - there is no snow at all, so no need for any extra gear. I am assuming you are planning to take at least one, if not more, of the shortcuts? If you are, you should be okay without anything, but you may consider microspikes. The main shortcut near Gunsight Pass that avoids the 600' descent had one snowfield that looked long and reminded me of the area that Utah boyscout guide fell down. There are footprints across it, but you'd be in trouble if you fell. We didn't take it. The other one, higher on the mountain, had two snowfields, both pretty short (but same thing - don't fall). We made it across those without any traction or an ice axe. I was a little bit nervous, but it wasn't terrifying or anything. The snow was good. The shortcuts definitely take a lot of time off the hike, but even if you don't take them, the hike is easy. Have fun, and don't forget your bugspray!!
TerryLiv
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TerryLiv »

skiwall wrote:Keep an eye out for this guy?

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=16773429
I talked to 3 search and rescue guys when I was just starting in from the trail head. One of them complimented me for wearing my SPOT. If the missing guy was wearing his beacon, he is probably dead and was unable to "push the button." Probably enough snow fields that he slipped on a bad one and ended up on the rocks.

I am keeping him in my prayers.

Terry
TerryLiv
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TerryLiv »

We went up the first (chute) shortcut and came back the high one that starts or stops at the summit of Gunsight Pass. The big snow field at Gunsight pass was fairly well tracked in a single file approach. It would not have been a good place to slip!

I agree the bugs were deadly at Dollar lake. Not bad higher up though. We elected to make it a 2 day trip rather than 3, and the 15 mile day including climbing during the morning/early afternoon then coming out with headlights in the dark, with a full pack was as much as I wanted.

On Friday going in the parking lots were both full, and I met about 75 people coming out. Coming out Saturday night the lots were only 1/2 full. Go Figure?

Were you one of the 2 lady trail runners that passed us about 500 vertical feet from the top?

Terry
usfgal wrote:I thought there were cairns, but I could be wrong. It sounds like you are talking about the first shortcut - there is no snow at all, so no need for any extra gear. I am assuming you are planning to take at least one, if not more, of the shortcuts? If you are, you should be okay without anything, but you may consider microspikes. The main shortcut near Gunsight Pass that avoids the 600' descent had one snowfield that looked long and reminded me of the area that Utah boyscout guide fell down. There are footprints across it, but you'd be in trouble if you fell. We didn't take it. The other one, higher on the mountain, had two snowfields, both pretty short (but same thing - don't fall). We made it across those without any traction or an ice axe. I was a little bit nervous, but it wasn't terrifying or anything. The snow was good. The shortcuts definitely take a lot of time off the hike, but even if you don't take them, the hike is easy. Have fun, and don't forget your bugspray!!