Top 5 tips for Chicago Basin

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
feral swan
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Top 5 tips for Chicago Basin

Post by feral swan »

Hi, i am planning a trip into the Chicago Basin next week and i am finding it daunting. I am trying to read the trip reports but if you have any bring this(helmet,down coat?), camp here, goat tips, route suggestions ect. I have done many 14ers including Challenger and Kit Carson but not so far off the grid. Would be trying to summit Tuesday and Wednesday weather cooperating. thanks,
Ish
14ers: 58 
13ers: 43
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Top 5 tips for Chicago Basin

Post by Ish »

Here are my suggestions:

1. Bring a six pack of beer and stash it in the Animas River when you get off the train. You'll be glad you did at the end of the trip when you are sitting there waiting for your ride back to civilization.

2. Climb North Eolus, it's an awesome mountain in and of itself and well worth your time.

3. If you're going for the Sunlight summit block, don't hesitate, you'll psych yourself out...just go for it! The move itself is easy, it's only the position that is so intimidating.

4. Bring a good book, with the weather in that area you'll probably be tent bound for at least a few hours.

5. Most importantly, have fun - I'm jealous, I can't wait to make it back up there!

There really isn't a bad camp site in the whole basin, and you're going during the week so I wouldn't worry too much about that.
Last edited by Ish on Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Though my problems are meaningless, that don't make them go away..."
- Neil Young -
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

1. Camp lower, there are less mountain goats and marmots. We camped at about 11k on the SW end of a nice meadow, the goats seemed to stay much higher and we didn't have any issues with them.

2. Start early, don't think just because you are at 11k that you can sleep in, we were able to summit but others we saw going up Sunlight when were on Windom didn't make it up Windom after due to storms.

3. Yep, climb North Eolus, doesn't take much time and its got really cool views of the final ridge on Eolus. Also if you are early, its a nice way to let people get up the slopes below you without cross traffic.

4. Climb Jupiter, if you ever think you want to do the Highest 100, might as well climb Jupiter now. It also has a great view of Windom's much more rugged south ridge and east face. I did the morning of the train ride and still had plenty of time to catch the train, just be sure to plan accordingly, you don't want to miss the train!!

5. Buy a soft drink on the train, free refills your entire ride, plus in the train station afterwards. tastes good after 4 days of nothing but filtered water!
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
Aggie_05
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Aggie_05 »

Bring a rain jacket...you're going to get wet.
Chicago Transplant wrote:5. Buy a soft drink on the train, free refills your entire ride, plus in the train station afterwards. tastes good after 4 days of nothing but filtered water!
...bring a fifth of rum to mix with said soft drink.
Canadian in Colorado
14ers: 44  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Canadian in Colorado »

pee on rocks....this doesn't keep the goats away but it keeps them from digging stuff up
If you're lucky enough to live in the mountains...you're lucky enough.
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cruiser »

Sixer in the river to make waiting for the train more pleasant
Down vest for the chilly evenings
Hammock for lounging between climbs
Spend a few minutes hunting around for a good campsite
Get ready because Eolus and Sunlight are no joke
Where ever you are... There you are.
GeorgiaTyler
14ers: 22 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeorgiaTyler »

The Needle mountains (across from PURG - north of Durango) just got dusted with snow so i'm pretty sure that Chi basin prob. got hit hard too. So come prepared for anything. Have a blast.
Climb up Pints down
Kitten
14ers: 58  1  2 
13ers: 122
Trip Reports (24)

Post by Kitten »

1. We found out that having a tarp just to get cover from the rain works very well, specially after the hike (to cook, relax and just enjoy the views).
2. Pack as light as you can, it is not a long hike, but the elevation gain is considerable with a big pack.
3. Start early, the storms usually come in the early afternoon.
4. Do the "easier" peaks first (Sunlight or Windom), more difficult ones (Mt. Eolus) the next day. Bring helmet.
5. Enjoy the goats! they are not agressive, just territorial. Bring your camera and share the pics!

Have fun!!
"Do or do not, there is no try"
Yoda, Star Wars.
Jim Davies
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

I'll second a few of the earlier comments:
Camp lower. It's less crowded, easier to hang your bear bag, and the animals leave you alone (although we did witness a deer chomp the flower off a blue columbine right in front of us - oh, the humanity!)
Definitely climb North Eolus. It's only about a 15 minute round trip from the saddle, and the rock is solid and delightful.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
cheeseburglar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 79 2 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by cheeseburglar »

Skip the train and hike in.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes
Yikes
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 112 15
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Yikes »

Will be up there tues-fri, so may be bumping into you.

Was going to post asking for last minute reminders (I always forget at least one thing), but you beat me to it.
feral swan
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by feral swan »

Check
Money for train, beverage stash, plan for rain, colder than planned, early start 4:30, campsite, hike in(next time. wink, wink),north eolus, study route descriptions, bear bag,
Thanks everyone for the great advice, especially the beverage tip, nice. Smoke is coming out of my printer as i print up reams of route descriptions. I am really starting to get excited and starting to see it as an epic adventure while i lay out my essentials and try to pick one luxury item and cut my toothbrush handle off and do my sorted yam laced anti-monsoon dance. See you on the summit Yikes, last one there spoons the goat.

Loren aka feral swan