Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Mt. Evans User Fee To Continue

Colorado 14ers access and fee issues only, please

Mt. Evans User Fee To Continue

Postby gdthomas » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:05 pm

The 10th Circuit Court of Appeals has upheld a lower court rulling allowing the US Forest Service to keep charging visitors the $10.00 user fee. Below is a link to the article. Unless the US Supreme Court hears the case and overturns the appeals court's ruling, the fee is here to stay.

http://www.coloradoan.com/article/20110809/NEWS11/110809034/Court-upholds-10-fee-Mount-Evans-visitors?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CFRONTPAGE

Re: Mt. Evans User Fee To Continue

Postby Weegie5 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:55 pm

It sounds like the court left a reasonable opening in its ruling for a more specific challenge in the future. That is the silver lining, if you are looking for one.
~James

Postby edhaman » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:43 pm

The court was almost begging for someone to challenge the fee in the appropriate manner. If someone steps up to do it, the fee is not necessarily here to stay.

Postby Mark A Steiner » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:05 am

The annual National Park fee is $40 anywhere, anytime. Rocky Mountain National Park has a $50 pass if "you wish to include Arapaho National Forest" in your plans to visit certain Front Range highlands.

Court ruling aside, it is Interesting how two federal agencies, Dept. of Interior (NPS) and Dept. of Agriculture (Arapaho NF) cooperated on this one.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Good day.

Postby GreenHorn » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:56 am

Mark A Steiner wrote:The annual National Park fee is $40 anywhere, anytime. Rocky Mountain National Park has a $50 pass if "you wish to include Arapaho National Forest" in your plans to visit certain Front Range highlands.

Court ruling aside, it is Interesting how two federal agencies, Dept. of Interior (NPS) and Dept. of Agriculture (Arapaho NF) cooperated on this one.

The cooperation is not that unusual. The Interagency annual pass is $80 and covers essentially any national recreation area where fees are charged. It's honored by 5 agencies, (USFS, NPS, Fish and Wildlife, BLM, and Bureau of Reclamation ) and in my opinion is quite a bargain.

I think the $40 fee you reference is an annual pass for an individual park (RMNP for instance).

I don't care to debate the fee issue, but I just don't understand the outrage over the user fee. Call it a tax if you want... at least it's going to something you can enjoy.
Live now. Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.

--JEAN-LUC PICARD

Postby vagabond » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:08 am

The fee could be boycotted/avoided if people just hiked up Mt Evans instead of driving... :wink:

Postby Bean » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:37 am

GreenHorn wrote:I don't care to debate the fee issue, but I just don't understand the outrage over the user fee. Call it a tax if you want... at least it's going to something you can enjoy.

No it isn't, the road was built and is maintained by CDOT, not the USFS.

vagabond wrote:The fee could be boycotted/avoided if people just hiked up Mt Evans instead of driving... :wink:

They hassle cyclists who don't use any of the facilities.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby rickinco123 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:30 am

GreenHorn wrote:I don't care to debate the fee issue, but I just don't understand the outrage over the user fee. Call it a tax if you want... at least it's going to something you can enjoy.

As a Denver resident who would like to drive on a State Highway to a DENVER mountain park without being harassed by the FS, I do care to debate it and I have already paid my taxes to both the City and State thank you very much.

Postby GreenHorn » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:56 pm

Bean wrote:No it isn't, the road was built and is maintained by CDOT, not the USFS.

rickinco123 wrote:As a Denver resident who would like to drive on a State Highway to a DENVER mountain park without being harassed by the FS, I do care to debate it and I have already paid my taxes to both the City and State thank you very much.

I understand the State highway issue and the fact that they do not maintain it. The money is used for other facilities. Those that are regular users of the road (not any facilities) have every right to decline to pay if they choose. Being asked to pay (and subsequently declining) would not be considered a "hassle" to me, nor would receiving a "notice of required fee" (and subsequently tossing it in the trash).

My only point was that by participation on this forum its a fair assumption that we all enjoy using USFS facilities, trails, etc., most of which are free. It's a minimal cost that I don't mind paying. I'm not trying to convince anyone - by all means fight the good fight if you believe in the cause.
Live now. Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.

--JEAN-LUC PICARD

Postby Screed » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:02 pm

GreenHorn wrote:Those that are regular users of the road (not any facilities) have every right to decline to pay if they choose. Being asked to pay (and subsequently declining) would not be considered a "hassle" to me, nor would receiving a "notice of required fee" (and subsequently tossing it in the trash).

This. Everything else doesn't matter.

Now for my favorite video! :mrgreen:

The best things in life aren't things.

Postby Bean » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:00 pm

GreenHorn wrote:I understand the State highway issue and the fact that they do not maintain it. The money is used for other facilities. Those that are regular users of the road (not any facilities) have every right to decline to pay if they choose. Being asked to pay (and subsequently declining) would not be considered a "hassle" to me, nor would receiving a "notice of required fee" (and subsequently tossing it in the trash).

My only point was that by participation on this forum its a fair assumption that we all enjoy using USFS facilities, trails, etc., most of which are free. It's a minimal cost that I don't mind paying. I'm not trying to convince anyone - by all means fight the good fight if you believe in the cause.

They don't "ask." They lie and insist that it is required.

You "don't mind paying." What is it that you don't mind paying for? The Mt. Goliath visitor center? Because that's the only thing that can legitimately be charged for.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby Matt » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:15 pm

Mark A Steiner wrote:The annual National Park fee is $40 anywhere, anytime.

The Interagency Pass is $80 per year and covers entrance fees to NPS, USFS, and BLM-administered sites.
http://www.fs.fed.us/passespermits/annual.shtml
Mine pays for itself several times over each year, even now that I don't spend a couple weeks in Sedona any more.
An added bonus is telling the Mt. Evans fee taker that I won't be paying today, just to see the reaction. It's easy to see that they catch a lot of hell for this and have been coached on avoiding confrontation. In June I was told that I "shouldn't mind paying money to support National Parks." I took my pass back and asked if Rocky was the closest National Park to Mt. Evans...
If I didn't have this pass, I probably wouldn't go up there at all because I do think the fee is BS.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List

Next