Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Thanks

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Thanks

Postby OmahaAdam » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:47 pm

Made the trip this past weekend from Omaha to take my oldest (9yrs old) on her first backcountry overnighter. From Winfield we hiked into the meadow just before the 4WD trailhead of Huron Peak on Sat afternoon and went up Huron Sunday morning. We made it up as far as 12,750 just below the grassy hill beneath the saddle before she started getting a headache (altitude, not dehydration) so we called it for the day, enjoyed the view while we snacked and took some pics. Just about everyone we passed congratulated her and gave her encouragement as we hiked up and that just made her day. So thanks for helping make her first experience fantastic. =D>

Re: Thanks

Postby 3rdwoozie » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:28 pm

Every time I get into the mountains, see FAMILIES experiencing the backcountry and the mountains. My heart smiles. Knowing that these moments that you spend with your children will be memories that will last a lifetime. Far better than behind a video game, or a cell phone. With your head barried in it. For children are so touched by experiencing the outdoors, you won't see the rewards now, but will later in life. I can testify that first hand. Just realize, that each moment you spend with her in the backcountry, could be moments that have to last a lifetime, for they might be gone and can never return. Congratulations to her. Nobody said it was easy, especially at 9.
"The way a man does one thing, is how he does everything!" Zen proverb

Postby mountain_man » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:41 pm

OmahaAdam wrote:Made the trip this past weekend from Omaha to take my oldest (9yrs old) on her first backcountry overnighter...

Awesome to hear. I wish I was backpacking and hiking 14ers at 9 years old. Congrats to you and her.

3rdwoozie wrote:Every time I get into the mountains, see FAMILIES experiencing the backcountry and the mountains. My heart smiles. Knowing that these moments that you spend with your children will be memories that will last a lifetime. Far better than behind a video game, or a cell phone. With your head barried in it. For children are so touched by experiencing the outdoors, you won't see the rewards now, but will later in life. I can testify that first hand...

+1
"To live and not to breathe is to die in tragedy." - Billie Joe Armstrong
"What I know I could put into a pack as if it were bread and cheese, and carry it on one shoulder, important and honorable, but so small! While everything else continues, unexplained, and unexplainable." - Mary Oliver

Postby tmathews » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:02 pm

It's so awesome that you're starting your daughter early, Adam. If my parents had encouraged me to hike and appreciate Colorado in all its glory earlier in life, I would have had a much more enjoyable adolescence. It's nice to see the Colorado mountains appreciated by the next generation who can pass that appreciation along to future generations.