Easiest 14er?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Easiest 14er?

Post by peter303 »

1) Pikes Peak parking lot (no climbing)
2) Mt Evans parking lot (200 foot climb)
3) Pikes Peak from Devils Playground (1600 feet)

#3 could be a good introduction. They is some annoying talus at the end.
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

This one hasn't been mentioned yet. Huron. It's been a while since I was there, but I remember a very well done CFI trail building effort that put what was pretty much a staircase up much of the hike.
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
NetJetsHiker
14ers: 41 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by NetJetsHiker »

My opinion of least difficult are:
Sherman
Handies from American Basin
Lincoln (also the prettiest of the LDBc)
Evans from Summit Lake (not the road)
Huron
Beirstadt

Handies is one of the most beautiful.
Bross is the ugliest followed by Sherman.
Rcizzle
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Rcizzle »

Uncompahgre and wetterhorn are really easy. Both are nice gradual easy hikes in. Yes wetterhorn is a class 3 but that doesn't mean it is any harder than than mt. Elbert. The class 3 route in my opinion adds an extra dimension and wetterhorn. It didn't seem as physically demanding as other 14ers. I know quite a few people that started on wetterhorn.
Bad decisions make good stories.
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

Easiest 14er:
Mt. Sherman

Dang Easy 14ers:
Bierstadt
Handies via American Basin
Last edited by djkest on Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
gonzalj
14ers: 40  1 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (11)

Post by gonzalj »

Definitely agree with sherman, bierstadt, handies via american basin (although up to this point in time is my favorite 14er because it is so beautiful), huron and evans via summit lake
cwm191
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cwm191 »

Rcizzle wrote:Uncompahgre and wetterhorn are really easy. Both are nice gradual easy hikes in. Yes wetterhorn is a class 3 but that doesn't mean it is any harder than than mt. Elbert. The class 3 route in my opinion adds an extra dimension and wetterhorn. It didn't seem as physically demanding as other 14ers. I know quite a few people that started on wetterhorn.
This is the first time I've seen Uncompahgre and Wetterhorn come up on a easiest 14er thread. Having done neither, I can only go by the handy 14er Routes Ranked by Difficulty page which lists Uncompahgre at #26 and Wetterhorn at #15. Can someone else who has done both possibly elucidate further?
Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain. - Friedrich Schiller

The problem with quotes on the internet is there is no way to verify their accuracy. - Abraham Lincoln
highpilgrim
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

cwm191 wrote:This is the first time I've seen Uncompahgre and Wetterhorn come up on a easiest 14er thread. Having done neither, I can only go by the handy 14er Routes Ranked by Difficulty page which lists Uncompahgre at #26 and Wetterhorn at #15. Can someone else who has done both possibly elucidate further?
In light of the original post, bad advice.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
zoriloco
14ers: 18  1 
Trip Reports (16)

Post by zoriloco »

Ill have to second Huron. So far the easiest peak Ive climbed.
Philo
14ers: 33  1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Philo »

I agree with bierstadt and sherman, both very easy. Also, Democrat, Lincoln, Bross
The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun. (Alex Lowe)
rewovenate
Trip Reports (2)

San Luis Peak

Post by rewovenate »

Unless I missed it, San Luis Peak has not been mentioned in this thread. It should be, especially if remoteness is a plus, not a minus. The Stewart Creek approach is an easy stroll in one of the most pristine places in Colorado -- so much better than the human traffic jam on the oft-mentioned Bierstadt and DeCaLiBron.
cnlevan
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (7)

Post by cnlevan »

I have climbed Uncompahgre Peak, Quandary Peak, and Handies Peak, and I am chubby, and a very slow hiker. ALL of them were very hard to someone like me, but I love them. In order of difficulty I would say that Uncompahgre was the most difficult, (but the only reason it is a class two is a short section of hand over fist climbing) and then Quandary which is a close second to Uncompahgre. The difficulty difference between the two are minimal, but Uncompahgre is STUNNINGLY beautiful, and much less people packed than Quandary. Handies is by far the least difficult peak I have climbed, and it is gorgeous.

After a lot of conversations with friends, San Luis is very gradual, but it is long....lots of mileage on the hike, and it is pretty in the middle of nowhere.
Put yourself in the way of beauty. - Cheryl Strayed