Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Newb questions concerning backpacking

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Newb questions concerning backpacking

Postby pakitwhisperer » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:37 am

Greetings,

I have scanned through the FAQs and used the search function but i havent really found my question addressed - and my question basically is this: I want to transition from a day hiker to doing overnighters combined with peak bagging and i am not sure what the standard operating procedure is regarding the tent/sleeping bag/pad/ et al. when going for a peak. Do i show faith in my fellow traveler and leave the heavy stuff at the camp site while making my way to the peak and back or do i lug everything up with me?

I realize that there is no such thing as a 100% guarantee of anything, but in general are there best practices to use in this sort of situation? Any input is appreciated.

Re: Newb questions concerning backpacking

Postby dehrlich101 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:52 am

I leave all my gear at camp, useally packed up and stashed under a tarp. I'd like to believe that most people enjoying the outdoors are trustworthy and wouldn't touch a fellow hikers gear. But there is always a chance that a bad apple could be around that day, so don't leave anything you can't live without. Also it's a good idea to hide extra food in a tree or take it with you, because alpine creatures will chew though a pack to gain access to your food.

Postby Cruiser » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:52 am

I think that the vast majority of hikers in Colorado leave things set up at camp while they're out day hiking. I usually leave my tent with pad and bag set up inside it. Then I take the rest of my gear and hang it up in a tree in my overnight pack or a large stuff sack (if I'm dayhiking with my overnight pack) so that I leave a nice tidy campsite. In reality the animals are a bigger concern out here than the other hikers. Marmots, deer, goats, rabbits, ground squirrels, etc have all been known to raid packs for bits of food, deodorant, toothpaste, gum, candy, Sailor Jerry's spiced rum...
Where ever you are... There you are.

Postby colokeith » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:16 am

I posed a similar question a few months ago and got some good answers here.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28439
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson

Postby pakitwhisperer » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:13 am

Thanks for the opinions! @colokeith - appreciate the link to your previous thread. I missed that in my search. Lot of good approaches to try out when i start doing overnights.