Who's climbed Mount Everest? 7 Summits?

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Theodore
14ers: 20  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Who's climbed Mount Everest? 7 Summits?

Post by Theodore »

My personal best for holding my breath is 200 seconds even. BAM! Everest, here I come! \:D/
jbchalk
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (54)

Post by jbchalk »

Rob, that is a great Roach quote. He couldn't have said it better. I always thought in the back of my mind perhaps if I'd ever try and climb Everest, I could potentially do so sans O2. However, after having been there and climbed with Os, I realize that was one of the most ridiculoous thoughts I've ever had :) The few climbers that can actually push themselves to over 29K sans O2 are literally superhuman in terms of physical capacity and have a mental capacity way beyond everyone else. I remember being up there on top so grateful that I had supplementary O2 to fall back on and breathe after a few minutes without it.

Doggler, I know you mean no disrespect at all to those pursuing the 7 summits, but I tell ya I can't think of a tougher physical and mental testpiece than climbing Everest. And, if that ain't enough, go sans O2. Also, money doesn't have to be a limiting factor at all. If one wants it bad enough, there are ways to make it happen. I think my wife paid the least amount of money and were the poorest people on that mountain a year ago, yet things worked out in the end. Yes, the 7 summits is a goal thts been done before by many, but if you love to travel and get "high", its a worthwhile endeavor.
RoanMtnMan
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (19)

Post by RoanMtnMan »

doggler wrote:
But I certainly don't think it would offer me the opportunity to brag any more than if I were to buy a sports car or big house. I don't really see it as much of a physical accomplishment anymore, as the only real limiter seems to be money.
If a person is buying stuff or bagging peaks just so they can brag, wow, probably not gonna be hanging out with them. Most of the legit climbers I know are very modest folks. Sure there are some people that buy summits, but I wouldn't consider them legit climbers. I have been on many mountains around guided groups and I can assure you that my experiences and theirs are far different.

As for the 7 summits goal, it really isn't that much different than the 14ers, just an arbitrary goal of going to high geographic locations. As humans we seem to need lists and structure to give us motivation and direction. We tackle the 14er list to feel accomplished, experience adventure, see the lesser seen places of a beautiful state, make friends, get exercise, and many other fulfilling reasons. Transfer that to the world stage and you get the 7 summits. Sure it takes a higher degree of planning, resources, physical fitness, and technical skill, but as with all things, you get out what you put in. Anyone that has stood on the Kahiltna, walked through the Khumbu, partied in Mendoza, slept in an oil drum on Elbrus, chased penguins, been on a safari, climbed in Heinrich Harrer's tracks, and thrown in a trip up the Aiguille du Midi for good measure, would likely agree that Capitol Lake or Chicago Basin aren't quite the same, still great places, but not quite the same.

I personally am not out to complete the 7 summits, but I have tremendous respect for those that are. If you climb the 7 summits unguided (sans Kili), you are a world class climber. If you do so from your Kansas home, you just blew my mind. If you post opinions without having climbed at least a few of these, it should be heavily discounted.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

http://www.CalebWrayPhotography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
doggler
14ers: 57  8 
13ers: 162 7
Trip Reports (25)

Post by doggler »

I think I may have misplaced my emphasis. Re-reading my post, yeah. I'm pretty sure I did. I've never been to 7000 meters, let alone 8800. Maybe I couldn't handle it; you don't know until you're there. I'd love to find out.

I guess I wonder how many people would complete the 7 summits if money were not the (a?) primary limiter.

The logistics to do all of it unguided I'd assume would be mindboggling. But it's my understanding that for many of these peaks, guide services handle much of this. Physical fitness? I'm sure you have to be fit, but not world-class. Technical skills? Knowledge and expertise helps here, but do you mean to tell me there has never been a greenhorn to have summitted Everest? Having lived in Anchorage for a while and hearing the stories, I know for a fact that any old somewhat fit guy off the street can make it to 20,320' given the right situation - weather, guides, equipment, etc. Obviously the bar is higher on some of the other peaks. I get that.

Conversely, I wonder how many people would race something such as the Leadville 100 or Badwater if it cost $100,000 - or even $10,000 - to compete. Would the accomplishment then be more special because so many less people would have done it? I wonder what Marshall Ulrich thought was tougher - summitting Everest or crossing the 135 miles of Death Valley unsupported?

It's definitely not a pedestrian accomplishment. My (somewhat uninformed since I've done neither) view is it lies somewhere between doing all the 8000 meter peaks and all the U.S. high points. I would love to experience all that those of you who have done all (or some) of these peaks have experienced. I'm sure it's amazing. I love reading the TR's from these places and live vicariously through them.
RoanMtnMan
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (19)

Post by RoanMtnMan »

The line between guided and unguided trips is often marginalized. In truth, it is vast.

The money thing is what it is. You wouldn't save much by climbing the 2nd highest peak on the 7 continents. For many, solving the financial situation is one of the cruxes of any big climb. For me it is usually keeping my relationship with my wife healthy and intact, bringing her along usually helps. All these things have to be balanced, but again that is part of the challenge. The reasons why more people don't accomplish this is far beyond just the money.

Less than fit and competent folks do climb these peaks, but that doesn't mean it's safe. Less than fit and competent folks also die a lot on these peaks. Speed, experience, and skill minimize risk in the mountains.

Fletch summed up the rest of my argument pretty well. I do have to disagree on the walk-up comment though. Carstensz Pyramid is a 6 day hike through the jungle then a 12 hour climb that goes up to 5.8 at 16k, and then a bit of rappelling. There is also self-rescuing out of a Kahiltna or Khumbu crevasse or knowing how to not fall in them at all, kinda technical for most.

Jbchalk is probably one of the best users of this site to offer advice. After he climbs Kili next week he will be left with only Carstensz and Vinson and his wife with the two latter plus Aconcagua (all unguided sans Kili). I can assure you they aren't rich, as he hounded me for $20 I owed him earlier this week. I can also assure you that you would be hard pressed to find someone more cardio fit and you saw how he speaks of Everest.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

http://www.CalebWrayPhotography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Theodore
14ers: 20  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Theodore »

mstender wrote:
Robzilla wrote:
Theodore wrote:While we have the Everest folks here... Does anyone know of a list that names the states the US summiters are from? Wondering how many Kansan's have climbed it. I recently read the ESPN article about the guy that did the World Marathon and it said he was the first from Iowa.

Thanks!
I know a Nepali who's climbed Mt. Sunflower.
Did he survive? I heard the cows there are very viscious.
It's a vicious climb... many don't understand the dangers.

Summit, everything looks ok, right?

Aftermath. Cow attack. I was just happy I made it out alive!

eagrnnr
14ers: 5 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by eagrnnr »

It's a vicious climb... many don't understand the dangers.

Summit, everything looks ok, right?

Aftermath. Cow attack. I was just happy I made it out alive!

[/quote]

See many people underestimate this mountain. The perilous terrain, high winds, can turn hot and then cold quickly, and you're miles from anywhere. The wildlife is truly wild, not the tame wildlife they have roaming around those "national parks"! Don't be lured in by a false sense of security!
eagrnnr
14ers: 5 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by eagrnnr »

Theodore wrote:My personal best for holding my breath is 200 seconds even. BAM! Everest, here I come! \:D/
Hah! You Northeastern Kansans! Everybody knows that 200 seconds is a cake walk for us Southern Kansans! How else do you think Dodge City can still be inhabited by mankind?