Picky peak selection help

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
somethingrandom
14ers: 16 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Picky peak selection help

Post by somethingrandom »

Ok, I have Wednesday off and would love to hike something pretty close to the Boulder area.

I would prefer a shorter approach (-6mi/-3000'), hard class 2/ easy class 3, and it needs to be ranked, though I hardly care if it is 7k or 13k. I have poked around on SP and LoJ and am just not coming up with the right peak(s).

Any help would be appreciated.
-Just as soon as you idiot proof something, some a**hole is just going to come along and make a better idiot.

-To Cessna: "November one, zero, four Lima Papa, wind 080 at 90 peak gusts 120, runway 35 cleared for takeoff"

To fellow controller: "Watch this sh!t"

-Whether climbing or flying, the single greatest thing to remember is that every ascent is optional, and if you feel like making another, your subsequent descent is mandatory.
Floyd
14ers: 58 
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (35)

Re: Picky peak selection help

Post by Floyd »

East side IPW, Brainard Lake area. Check out Navajo, Apache, Toll, Sawtooth, or Pauite. Pawnee, Shoshoni, Audobon are nice too but may not be as "scrambly" as you are looking for.

Here is a TR for another option that I have saved on my "to-do" list: http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=9683" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason
traderaaron
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (3)

Post by traderaaron »

I liked Shoshoni, good class 3 route up the east/s.e. face and a fun summit block. And no one else when I was there on a Saturday in early August a couple years ago.
SuperPolok
13ers: 245
Trip Reports (2)

Post by SuperPolok »

Have you done Twin Sisters yet? If you do both the twins you'll get some good easy scrambling in and it isn't much longer than your requested mileage.

Estes Cone would be a good one too.
somethingrandom
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by somethingrandom »

Thank you all for the suggestions.

I am thinking the winner here is Estes Cone. Has everything I am looking for and I was in IPW a few days ago so the change of scenery is always great too.
-Just as soon as you idiot proof something, some a**hole is just going to come along and make a better idiot.

-To Cessna: "November one, zero, four Lima Papa, wind 080 at 90 peak gusts 120, runway 35 cleared for takeoff"

To fellow controller: "Watch this sh!t"

-Whether climbing or flying, the single greatest thing to remember is that every ascent is optional, and if you feel like making another, your subsequent descent is mandatory.
SuperPolok
13ers: 245
Trip Reports (2)

Post by SuperPolok »

somethingrandom wrote: I am thinking the winner here is Estes Cone.
WHOO HOO!!! What do I win??????

In all seriousness, I just did Estes Cone for the first time this year and it really is an enjoyable hike and a great summit and good views. Don't expect to be alone on a weekend though. We left the parking lot early so had the summit to ourselves for about half an hour before the "crowds" started showing up.