Lake Hikes

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Lake Hikes

Post by TravelingMatt »

Get the Latitude 40 map of Summit County and pick a trail in the Gore Range that goes to a lake. You can't go wrong.

The trails that start near Vail can get busy on weekends unless you start early, though.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
clemsonmtneer
14ers: 35  6 
13ers: 23 6
Trip Reports (15)

Post by clemsonmtneer »

Bluebird Lake in the Wild Basin area of RMNP. Fairly long hike at 6.2 miles one way, but totally worth the effort. Also second Blue Lake for a shorter hike.
Doctor No
14ers: 35  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Doctor No »

We did Ypsilon Lake in RMNP today, and I recommend it without reservation. I also like Bluebird Lake.
ctlee
14ers: 19  4 
13ers: 45 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ctlee »

Here's one that fits all of your requirements--it may be crowded unless you go during the week and is 8 miles but not too bad--Herman Lake--one hour from Denver-exit 218 off I-70 (no name for exit, just number) take a right off the exit into the parking lot-first part climbs alongside a big waterfall--trail opens up into a beautiful bowl with awesome views--wildflowers galore this time of year are absolutely gorgeous--then up to the lake above treeline. Short drive and hike, big rewards. One of my first hikes after moving from back East and I was floored as a newbie.
Live as if you were to die tomorrow-learn as if you were to live forever-----Mahatma Gandhi
ChrisRoberts
14ers: 12 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChrisRoberts »

Doctor No wrote:We did Ypsilon Lake in RMNP today, and I recommend it without reservation. I also like Bluebird Lake.
We went up to Ypsilon and beyond to Chiquita Lake. I'd rec it (kinda boring to Ypsilon though)
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
NoCoChris: Now with less Colorado!
Doctor No
14ers: 35  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Doctor No »

We thought about that - we ascended the waterfall and went aways; we looked a bit for the best way to get to Spectacle Lakes and finally decided that Doctor No should have researched the route a bit more before endangering his fiance. :lol:

She likes forest hikes, though, so she was happy with the tree hike to Ypsilon Lake.