Sunrise or Sunset

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Mark Curtis
Trip Reports (0)

Sunrise or Sunset

Post by Mark Curtis »

Kinda cliche I suppose.....but considering of all the different mountain locations in Colorado or other states in the Rockies/West it should be a great thread.

I'll start off with one I was going to show Kimo because he asked to see a shot of a face I told him about in the B&W thread. Everyone should check out his many faces photo from the Indian Peaks area (on page 9 of the B&W)....it is uncanny how many faces are in that one image. It's an awesome shot! Anyway, I call this "The Big Chief" as you can see from the title in the photo (I use titles for descriptions on my website and have a lot of fun with it......hopefully no one will find it too distracting). This shot was taken in the morning between Rock Cut and Mt. Chapin. As far as I know nobody has coined it as such and therefore take my description in that subjective vein!
P1010207-2.JPG
P1010207-2.JPG (204.58 KiB) Viewed 19382 times
A shot from the Cottonwood Pass area:
IMGP7626-2.JPG
IMGP7626-2.JPG (283.27 KiB) Viewed 19379 times
And one from a place many may recognize.....American Basin:
IMGP6133-4.jpg
IMGP6133-4.jpg (225.18 KiB) Viewed 19380 times
http://www.flickr.com/photos/46092977@N07/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kimo
14ers: 32  6 
13ers: 116 6
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Sunrise or Sunset

Post by kimo »

Great pics, Mark.

Who here doesn't enjoy a good sunset or sunrise? The kind that stirs the soul and makes one go ahhhhh. Seems of late I've been seeking these sublime moments more than summits. I hope others share their photographs of these special moments in your day.

Sunrise on Mount Baldy...

Sunset on Haleakala...
DSC_4552.jpg
DSC_4552.jpg (116.4 KiB) Viewed 19182 times
Mark Curtis wrote:I'll start off with one I was going to show Kimo because he asked to see a shot of a face I told him about in the B&W thread. Everyone should check out his many faces photo from the Indian Peaks area (on page 9 of the B&W)....it is uncanny how many faces are in that one image. It's an awesome shot! Anyway, I call this "The Big Chief" as you can see from the title in the photo (I use titles for descriptions on my website and have a lot of fun with it......hopefully no one will find it too distracting). This shot was taken in the morning between Rock Cut and Mt. Chapin. As far as I know nobody has coined it as such and therefore take my description in that subjective vein!
I don't find the the whimsy titles distracting. The titles are interesting, complement the photo, and besides - and most important - this is art. Make it what you want.

The Big Chief is remarkable. I passed through Rock Cut on Sunday evening near sundown. In the soft fading light I realized that is a special area and one I would like to return to more often to practice photography. It's interesting that you would post a photograph of the Big Chief who watches over that area after I had these good thoughts.

And Saturated skies reminds me of the sunrise after a sleepless night. It's dreamy like that. Nicely done.
jmnhawk
14ers: 33 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jmnhawk »

vonmackle
14ers: 30 
13ers: 93 1
Trip Reports (13)

Post by vonmackle »

Alright! Another great thread! Can't wait to see what everybody posts.

Sunrise near Dream Lake (RMNP) last January
"To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable." -Ludwig van Beethoven
killstorm
14ers: 8 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (0)

Post by killstorm »

Wonderful shots all! Here's from along Old Fall River Road in RMNP on the way to hike Ypsilon and associates:
Wish I lived in CO
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Wish I lived in CO »

Copy of DSCN1398.JPG
Copy of DSCN1398.JPG (154.03 KiB) Viewed 18938 times
From Torrey's shoulder, July 2008
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2
vonmackle
14ers: 30 
13ers: 93 1
Trip Reports (13)

Post by vonmackle »

Some great shots so far! I want more! Don't be shy.

Sunrise over Uncompahgre a couple weeks ago

Sunrise on the trail to Lake Hiayaha last November
"To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable." -Ludwig van Beethoven
Flips
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 101 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Flips »

Sunrise on Pikes Peak at the top of the switchbacks just before Devil's Playground
Sunrise on Pikes Peak at the top of the switchbacks just before Devil's Playground
pikes-peak-hc-day-1.jpg (210.14 KiB) Viewed 18958 times
http://www.DrewPhillipsPhotography.com
Unlike Andrew Hamilton, I’m not always hiking. Sometimes I’m sleeping.
PKelley
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 208 3
Trip Reports (6)

Post by PKelley »

Sunset on Handies.
Attachments
Sunset on Handies from 13,075.
Sunset on Handies from 13,075.
Handies.jpg (78.24 KiB) Viewed 18489 times
The Dalai Lama when asked what surprised him most about humanity:
“Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”
Iguru
14ers: 18 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Iguru »

2010 vacation 070.jpg
2010 vacation 070.jpg (24.48 KiB) Viewed 18534 times
Not exactly a sunset, (looking west) twilight from around Jaws 1 on Lake Como Road.
I gotta get me an Avatar.
mattpayne11
14ers: 58 
13ers: 111
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

Mark,

I dig that shot of American Basin and that face is uncanny! Crazy!

I'll post some photos later - have trouble posting on the photography forum from work (not sure why, but it keeps logging me out when I post).
Mountainspirit
14ers: 20 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Mountainspirit »

Sunrise over Mt. Lady Washington from Longs (August, 2009)

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/uphoto.ph ... m=uphotos2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unfortunately, my ability to copy and paste my own photos has been compromised this morning :oops:
"I sang out from a mountain top, out to the valley down below
Because my cup doth overflow
With the beauty of the days gone by." - Van Morrison