Hikes in Texas Creek Colorodo (aka Cotopaxi)

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
HillClimber
Trip Reports (0)

Hikes in Texas Creek Colorodo (aka Cotopaxi)

Post by HillClimber »

I'm considering a move to Texas Creek Colorado (aka Cotopaxi), but before making the big commitment, I'd like to identify a couple good nearby hikes. The area I'm considering is near the Deer Mtn Fire Station (the intersection of Copper Gulch Rd (CR28) and Indian Wells Rd). I know there's are tons of hikes in the Wet Mountains and the Sangre de Cristos, but I'm looking for trails 8 to 10 miles away (round trip). (Trails I can hike 2 to 3 times a week without racking up a lot of mileage on my car.) Ideally, the hikes would be 3 to 6 miles out and back, with 1000 feet or more of elevation gain. There are a number of hills in the area that seem like they'd suffice, such as, Iron Mtn, Lookout Mtn, Red Mtn, Elkhorn Mtn, etc., but I'm not sure about public access. Does anyone living in the area, know whether these hills (or others) can be climbed without crossing or parking on private property? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks! (Searching has been a bit futile, since the mountain names are so common.)