Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Sunrise or Sunset

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to try and sell your photos or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Sunrise or Sunset

Postby Mark Curtis » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:47 pm

Kinda cliche I suppose.....but considering of all the different mountain locations in Colorado or other states in the Rockies/West it should be a great thread.

I'll start off with one I was going to show Kimo because he asked to see a shot of a face I told him about in the B&W thread. Everyone should check out his many faces photo from the Indian Peaks area (on page 9 of the B&W)....it is uncanny how many faces are in that one image. It's an awesome shot! Anyway, I call this "The Big Chief" as you can see from the title in the photo (I use titles for descriptions on my website and have a lot of fun with it......hopefully no one will find it too distracting). This shot was taken in the morning between Rock Cut and Mt. Chapin. As far as I know nobody has coined it as such and therefore take my description in that subjective vein!

P1010207-2.JPG
P1010207-2.JPG (204.58 KiB) Viewed 3879 times

A shot from the Cottonwood Pass area:

IMGP7626-2.JPG
IMGP7626-2.JPG (283.27 KiB) Viewed 3876 times

And one from a place many may recognize.....American Basin:

IMGP6133-4.jpg
IMGP6133-4.jpg (225.18 KiB) Viewed 3877 times

Re: Sunrise or Sunset

Postby kimo » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:18 pm

Great pics, Mark.

Who here doesn't enjoy a good sunset or sunrise? The kind that stirs the soul and makes one go ahhhhh. Seems of late I've been seeking these sublime moments more than summits. I hope others share their photographs of these special moments in your day.

Sunrise on Mount Baldy...

Sunset on Haleakala...
DSC_4552.jpg
DSC_4552.jpg (116.4 KiB) Viewed 3679 times

Mark Curtis wrote:I'll start off with one I was going to show Kimo because he asked to see a shot of a face I told him about in the B&W thread. Everyone should check out his many faces photo from the Indian Peaks area (on page 9 of the B&W)....it is uncanny how many faces are in that one image. It's an awesome shot! Anyway, I call this "The Big Chief" as you can see from the title in the photo (I use titles for descriptions on my website and have a lot of fun with it......hopefully no one will find it too distracting). This shot was taken in the morning between Rock Cut and Mt. Chapin. As far as I know nobody has coined it as such and therefore take my description in that subjective vein!

I don't find the the whimsy titles distracting. The titles are interesting, complement the photo, and besides - and most important - this is art. Make it what you want.

The Big Chief is remarkable. I passed through Rock Cut on Sunday evening near sundown. In the soft fading light I realized that is a special area and one I would like to return to more often to practice photography. It's interesting that you would post a photograph of the Big Chief who watches over that area after I had these good thoughts.

And Saturated skies reminds me of the sunrise after a sleepless night. It's dreamy like that. Nicely done.

Location: Purgatory until I'm done with school. Hopefully Colorado again, soon.

Postby jmnhawk » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:57 am

Postby vonmackle » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:21 am

Alright! Another great thread! Can't wait to see what everybody posts.

Sunrise near Dream Lake (RMNP) last January
"To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable." -Ludwig van Beethoven

Postby killstorm » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:08 am

Wonderful shots all! Here's from along Old Fall River Road in RMNP on the way to hike Ypsilon and associates:

Postby Wish I lived in CO » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:12 pm

Copy of DSCN1398.JPG
Copy of DSCN1398.JPG (154.03 KiB) Viewed 3435 times

From Torrey's shoulder, July 2008
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2

Postby vonmackle » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:18 pm

Some great shots so far! I want more! Don't be shy.

Sunrise over Uncompahgre a couple weeks ago

Sunrise on the trail to Lake Hiayaha last November
"To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable." -Ludwig van Beethoven

Postby Flips » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:40 pm

pikes-peak-hc-day-1.jpg
Sunrise on Pikes Peak at the top of the switchbacks just before Devil's Playground
pikes-peak-hc-day-1.jpg (210.14 KiB) Viewed 3455 times

http://www.DrewPhillipsPhotography.com

Postby PKelley » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:19 pm

Sunset on Handies.
Attachments
Handies.jpg
Sunset on Handies from 13,075.
Handies.jpg (78.24 KiB) Viewed 2986 times
The Dalai Lama when asked what surprised him most about humanity:
“Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”

Postby Iguru » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:14 am

2010 vacation 070.jpg
2010 vacation 070.jpg (24.48 KiB) Viewed 3031 times

Not exactly a sunset, (looking west) twilight from around Jaws 1 on Lake Como Road.
I gotta get me an Avatar.

Postby mattpayne11 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:20 am

Mark,

I dig that shot of American Basin and that face is uncanny! Crazy!

I'll post some photos later - have trouble posting on the photography forum from work (not sure why, but it keeps logging me out when I post).

Postby Mountainspirit » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:38 am

Sunrise over Mt. Lady Washington from Longs (August, 2009)

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/uphoto.php?pic=u14300p15_091106204904.jpg&parmuser=Mountainspirit&parmtype=2&parmview=1&cpgm=uphotos2

Unfortunately, my ability to copy and paste my own photos has been compromised this morning :oops:
"I sang out from a mountain top, out to the valley down below
Because my cup doth overflow
With the beauty of the days gone by." - Van Morrison

Next