Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

New concessionaires on Mount Rainier

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA

Postby mtnmike » Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:30 pm

Yep - try the Emmons Glacier route from the White River trailhead/campground. It's a 3~4 day climb that is in fact quite beautiful.
mtnMike
http://www.fourteeners.org

"Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." - Ed Viesturs

Postby mainpeak » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:07 am

mtnmike wrote:Yep - try the Emmons Glacier route from the White River trailhead/campground. It's a 3~4 day climb that is in fact quite beautiful.

Nice, that looks like just my speed, especially for the first time on the mountain. I'm looking a the Liberty Ridge as well, which sounds really impressive.

Postby Scott P » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:55 am

I've heard good things about RMI, but one thing to be aware of is that I've heard most of the time, they don't visit the true summit and that often they won't tell you that they don't. If you want to reach the true summit, make sure to tell them in advance. :wink:

Other than that I've heard good things.

Postby Marty369 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:34 pm

Depends on the "timing" is what we were told. We were told it was a no go, not enough time. There was other groups behind us still so we questioned if they were going to have the option. They said that they will but they would not get the 25 minute break like we were. They then changed it to it was our option, but they thought it would take too long and we would be behind schedule. By that point we were getting the hint that they did not want to go to the true top. Be persistent, they might take you. The other groups behind us started over, but then came back short.

Ed Viesturs started out working with RMI so I also think that had a lot to do with his descision to go back to them.

Kidrockies post sums it up pretty much, especially with younger v older guides. RMI is good and very safe, they just keep a super tight schedule. Top of the line gear and knowledgeable guides. They have it down to a science, and that is where you really see how the little bumps/setbacks get them riled up. They like it to flow like it always does, X amount of time to get up and down, X amounts of clients, on X schedule.

If you luck out you might get a younger guide named Steve. Good kid, really laid back and nice.

Postby rijaca » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:51 am

mtnmike wrote:Yep - try the Emmons Glacier route from the White River trailhead/campground. It's a 3~4 day climb that is in fact quite beautiful.

The Emmons/Winthrop Glacier route is the second most popular route up the mountain. If you're trying to avoid the crowds, do something else; there will be almost as many people on this route.

Postby Crass3000 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:02 pm

I don't think RMI quite had a monopoly on Rainier. However they may have a monopoly on certain routes including the standard route. Check the link below out:

http://www.nps.gov/archive/mora/climb/climb.htm

according to that link:

Guide Services

One-day climbing instruction, two-day summit climbs, five-day climbing seminars, and private climbs, are available through:

Rainier Mountaineering, Inc. 360-569-2227

Guided summit climbs on the Emmons-Winthrop Glaciers are available through:

Alpine Ascents International, 206-378-1927
American Alpine Institute, 360-671-1505
Cascade Alpine Guides, 800-981-0381
Mount Rainier Alpine Guides, 360-569-2889

Previous