Dogs on 14ers

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
SkiBikeClimb99
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Dogs on 14ers

Post by SkiBikeClimb99 »

What about pack animals?
crossfitter
Trip Reports (7)

Post by crossfitter »

SkiBikeClimb99 wrote:What about pack animals?
Nothing worse than horses sh**ing all over the trail. Had to deal with that on the way out from Ice mountain and was ready to lay down some punji sticks for the next one.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

somethingrandom
14ers: 16 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by somethingrandom »

crossfitter wrote:
SkiBikeClimb99 wrote:What about pack animals?
Nothing worse than horses sh**ing all over the trail. Had to deal with that on the way out from Ice mountain and was ready to lay down some punji sticks for the next one.
Seconded.

I was out around Elephant Butte area last week and damn if every other step wasnt avoiding a different giant pile of horse s**t. I know it is a way of life but damn.
Last edited by somethingrandom on Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Just as soon as you idiot proof something, some a**hole is just going to come along and make a better idiot.

-To Cessna: "November one, zero, four Lima Papa, wind 080 at 90 peak gusts 120, runway 35 cleared for takeoff"

To fellow controller: "Watch this sh!t"

-Whether climbing or flying, the single greatest thing to remember is that every ascent is optional, and if you feel like making another, your subsequent descent is mandatory.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

I absolutely hate horse s**t on the trail. It drives me bonkers
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
metalmountain
14ers: 42  1  2 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (1)

Post by metalmountain »

BillMiddlebrook wrote:I absolutely hate horse s**t on the trail. It drives me bonkers

For sure!!! Was dodging some equine bombs on the way down south colony recently.

Some of the front range trails are just as bad at times. If I have to pick up my dogs crap, why shouldn't they have to pick up their horses' crap?!
"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem
altidude
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by altidude »

Glad I'm not the only one who despises "Horse Cairns".
its_not_a_tuba
14ers: 36  1  2 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (1)

Post by its_not_a_tuba »

One excellent argument for bringing your dog along on a hike is that it really ticks off the equestrians, and I have to admit that makes me pretty happy.
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson
SkiBikeClimb99
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkiBikeClimb99 »

Wow, it appears I struck a chord here. For the record, I don't have a dog or horse and I certainly don't drop sh*&ts in the middle of the trail. Sorry for getting ya'll stirred up here.
jesse
14ers: 57  5  2 
13ers: 81
Trip Reports (41)

Post by jesse »

BillMiddlebrook wrote:I absolutely hate horse s**t on the trail. It drives me bonkers
+1 this is something that is completely pisses me off as well #-o
Imagine if all you had was 90 years in the sun and then its darkness forever.
Kitten
14ers: 58  1  2 
13ers: 122
Trip Reports (24)

Post by Kitten »

jesse wrote:
+1 this is something that is completely pisses me off as well #-o
+1 It should be forbidden! or they should collect it.
"Do or do not, there is no try"
Yoda, Star Wars.
bonehead
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bonehead »

A little historical perspective maybe.
Not that I'm a big fan of horse crap, but:
Horse packers (with their dogs) have a much longer history in the high country than backpackers, hikers and climbers.
My first adventures in the Sierras in the sixties found way more horses than hikers.
Of course it's the other way around now.
Back then I think they had the same disdain for backpackers as we now seem to have for them.
kbmiller
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kbmiller »

I hate big ol' piles of bear sh&t on the trail, especially in good berry years -- all purple and seedy.