Sliding down Andrew's Glacier

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Mooms
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Sliding down Andrew's Glacier

Post by Mooms »

A friend of mine and me are head up Flattop and then around to Hallet and Otis peaks. I was think it would be fun to slide down Andrew's Glacier on the other side of Otis. I have done it before but i hiked up the side of the glacier and then slid down. I was wondering if anyone has ever come over the top from Otis??
GO BIG RED!
NYRyan
14ers: 29  5 
13ers: 14 6
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Sliding down Andrew's Glacier

Post by NYRyan »

Consider bringing a mountaineering axe. Andrew's glacier can make for a great glissade if done properly.
Thank you Bill M for this great site.
sanchomurphy1
14ers: 28 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (7)

Post by sanchomurphy1 »

I did it after a hike from Grand Lake in late July a few years ago. Its the fastest way to get off the divide. I was a little scared but it turned out to be a blast and I had no equipment beyond average hiking gear. Although I would second an ice axe as a safety precaution. I say go for it.
"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die tomorrow." -James Dean
gurlyclimber
14ers: 34 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gurlyclimber »

I've done it from Otis. It's a great way to get down. We also did an awesome glissade this year after going up Taylor. Super fun. Like others have said, bring an axe.
Mooms
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mooms »

Thanks for the info everyone. I will head to REI and get an axe. any suggestions on a good inexpensive axe. I have never use one or need one but it sound like it is good to have.
\:D/
GO BIG RED!
Ric Tinney
14ers: 58 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Ric Tinney »

I ran / glisaded down a 45 degree pitch off of Wheeler Peak in GBNP last weekend. It was the first time I had done anything like that and it was a blast. All I had was my hiking sticks and I was planning to use one as an axe but never needed to. Do folks carry shovels up to use coming down? My butt got kinda cold (numb actually).
Kruck
14ers: 7 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Kruck »

Mooms wrote:Thanks for the info everyone. I will head to REI and get an axe. any suggestions on a good inexpensive axe. I have never use one or need one but it sound like it is good to have.
\:D/
Black Diamond Raven Pro seems to be the standard for general purpose these days. Usually a couple bucks cheaper than a Grivel or CAMP, too. I've used mine for years and love it.

When you go to REI, make sure you have a dude there help you select the correct size. When you hold it with the correct grip with your arm dangling at your side, the end should be between your ankle and the floor.

^^^Edit to say that's the sizing that works for me. I have short legs. My dad's built like a gorilla and I inherited that part. Others might give you different advice.
Sausage, mushroom, and green pepper
jjust
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jjust »

I've descended down Andrews Glacier several times and it is a lot of fun. Twice from Taylor Peak and once from Otis Peak. The end of the video shows a glissade.

August 2008

May 2010

June 2011

Gary Brady
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Gary Brady »

I did it with some friends without an ice axe. I really would recommend one.
You guys have fun climbing this weekend. I can't go. Lumbergh's gonna have me come in on Saturday, I just know it.
ChrisRoberts
14ers: 12 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChrisRoberts »

Not to discourage you from being prepared by having an axe, but I've done it probably 4 times now and have never needed one. Trekking poles are nice, but not required. Generally speaking, the snow stays soft and wavy into mid-August and then the ice becomes exposed and crevasses form (at that point dont even go near it without an ice axe!) but for now you're probably fine. I'd actually be more worried about whatever lingering snow patch is left on the headwall below Andrews Tarn, its a lot steeper and with all the snow we've gotten is probably still pretty big.

Have fun, Otis is a nice summit
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
NoCoChris: Now with less Colorado!
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

DONT GLISSADE WITHOUT AN ICE AXE!!!!! EVER!!!!

All it takes is one icy patch and you're out of control.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
Kruck
14ers: 7 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Kruck »

ChrisRoberts wrote:Not to discourage you from being prepared by having an axe, but I've done it probably 4 times now and have never needed one. Trekking poles are nice, but not required. Generally speaking, the snow stays soft and wavy into mid-August and then the ice becomes exposed and crevasses form (at that point dont even go near it without an ice axe!) but for now you're probably fine. I'd actually be more worried about whatever lingering snow patch is left on the headwall below Andrews Tarn, its a lot steeper and with all the snow we've gotten is probably still pretty big.

Have fun, Otis is a nice summit
This person is assuming a lot. This advice is OK, given good conditions. However, as the cow person above this post aptly points out, an icy patch can ruin your day and/or end your career as a human. If you are able to judge conditions well on your way up, and are glissading a slope with the same aspect and relative pitch as the slope you ascended, you can do as this person says and say to hell with it, I'm fine with Nike Airs. Otherwise, if you are not sure, an axe is nice to have. What hasn't been pointed out is that you should be able to use it in a way that arrests an out-of-control slide. Check that out. Google it. Think about it. Practice it when you can.
Sausage, mushroom, and green pepper