Forum

Mt. Evans Road Fiasco GETS WORSE?

Colorado 14ers access and fee issues only, please
Posts: 2534
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:19 pm

Re: Mt. Evans Road Fiasco GETS WORSE?

Postby peter303 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:29 am


User avatar
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:19 pm
Location: Ruby Hill

Re: Mt. Evans Road Fiasco GETS WORSE?

Postby steventraylor » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:43 am

http://cbs4denver.com/local/mount.evans.road.2.1722991.html


That is me after my 2nd ski of the day in the news 4 piece. 2.5 seconds of fame!

Oh yeah the fee seems like overkill as usual ...I am still reading about this and I am sure the feds are trying to get some cash if possible.

On a side note I was told to put out my charcoal grill with Brats in the Summit Lake parking lot...how can USFS enforce their Wilderness Act laws on land that is owned by C and C of D mountain parks.

User avatar
Posts: 153
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:23 am
Location: Monument, Colorado

Re: Mt. Evans Road Fiasco GETS WORSE?

Postby nomadelmundo » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:43 pm

I'm gonna try the same thing if I ever head up there and record it the video and post it ... good post! =D>
Maxmius - What we do in life echoes in eternity.

Re: Mt. Evans Road Fiasco GETS WORSE?

Postby Bean » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:55 am

Rode my bike up yesterday and was hassled by a FS employee, stating that I was required to pay the $3 because I dared to touch a concrete sidewalk at the edge of the parking lot (an overlook).
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Site Administrator
User avatar
Posts: 7328
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:34 pm
Location: Breckenridge, CO

Re: Mt. Evans Road Fiasco GETS WORSE?

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:06 am

Bean wrote:Rode my bike up yesterday and was hassled by a FS employee, stating that I was required to pay the $3 because I dared to touch a concrete sidewalk at the edge of the parking lot (an overlook).

Did you pay it?

Re: Mt. Evans Road Fiasco GETS WORSE?

Postby Bean » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:12 am

BillMiddlebrook wrote:
Bean wrote:Rode my bike up yesterday and was hassled by a FS employee, stating that I was required to pay the $3 because I dared to touch a concrete sidewalk at the edge of the parking lot (an overlook).

Did you pay it?

I can neither confirm nor deny. If I say "yes," I look like a cowardly sissy who hates America and gives in to an overbearing government agency acting well outside the scope of its legal authority, on Independence Day of all days. If I say "no," I incriminate myself publicly.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

User avatar
Posts: 1569
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 11:05 am
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Mt. Evans Road Fiasco GETS WORSE?

Postby Kojones » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:35 am

I think he paid it. :)

Kojones
Climbing partner: "Is this uphill the whole way?"
Kojones: "No, only half the hike is uphill."
Image

User avatar
Posts: 1218
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: castle rock

Re: Mt. Evans Road Fiasco GETS WORSE?

Postby larkinrx2 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:56 pm

Bean wrote:I can neither confirm nor deny. If I say "yes," I look like a cowardly sissy who hates America and gives in to an overbearing government agency acting well outside the scope of its legal authority, on Independence Day of all days. If I say "no," I incriminate myself publicly.


i read this as saying "no" would be declaring yourself an American on the greatest of all days, Independence day
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.

Posts: 123
Joined: Sun May 04, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Mt. Evans Road Fiasco GETS WORSE?

Postby D8S » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:25 pm

Bean, I 'd just like to make sure I understand correctly. The Forest Service employee told you that you owed the fee because you touched the concrete at the edge of the parking area at the summit overlook? I ask because this seems to insinuate that the FS is considering the concrete sidewalk to be the edge of the road, and that they are NOT harassing motorists and/or bicyclists who do not leave the asphalt.

I'm reading a lot into this, but it does help to know what they are thinking.

FYI, in documents from 2007 the FS stated that 17% of people who were given a Notice of Required Fee (NeRF) never paid it, and to this day not one has ever been prosecuted.

Dave

Re: Mt. Evans Road Fiasco GETS WORSE?

Postby Bean » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:10 pm

D8S wrote:Bean, I 'd just like to make sure I understand correctly. The Forest Service employee told you that you owed the fee because you touched the concrete at the edge of the parking area at the summit overlook? I ask because this seems to insinuate that the FS is considering the concrete sidewalk to be the edge of the road, and that they are NOT harassing motorists and/or bicyclists who do not leave the asphalt.

I'm reading a lot into this, but it does help to know what they are thinking.

FYI, in documents from 2007 the FS stated that 17% of people who were given a Notice of Required Fee (NeRF) never paid it, and to this day not one has ever been prosecuted.

Dave

Yes, you understand correctly. For the purpose of clarification, here is a photo. The concrete that I'm standing on is the concrete to which I refer. The edge of asphalt is mere inches away from being in view on the left side, and the bike rack is about 2 feet away from there. I was told by a USFS employee that I owed the fee for standing there long enough to get a photo taken.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Posts: 123
Joined: Sun May 04, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Mt. Evans Road Fiasco GETS WORSE?

Postby D8S » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:06 am

Thanks Bean. Right now, its really just a waiting game until the court decides. 2 months + and counting>

Dave

User avatar
Posts: 319
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:55 am
Location: Boulder, CO

Re: Mt. Evans Road Fiasco GETS WORSE?

Postby shaunster_co » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:18 pm

You know this just burns me up, the court upheld the ruling....
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/28813996/detail.html

The outdoor enthusiasts who brought the lawsuit should have challenged the fees on a personal level, the court said, instead of challenging the fee for everybody, the ruling said. "We hardly mean to suggest that the Service's policy can't be attacked at all. It might well be susceptible to a winning challenge" if the plaintiffs had framed their challenge differently, the court wrote.


Right, so they are insinuating everyone should take this court over a $10 fee...

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest