Mountain near Aspen? 7-8 miles RT?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
joelsteidl
14ers: 23 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Mountain near Aspen? 7-8 miles RT?

Post by joelsteidl »

My in-laws are coming in town, and we'd like to do some sort of summit with them. We'll be camping near Aspen around Aug 20, but all of the 14ers are a little difficult in the area. We'd like something in the 7-8 mile roundtrip range, with moderate elevation gain. Any suggestions?
MrFrumpylane
14ers: 39 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mountain near Aspen? 7-8 miles RT?

Post by MrFrumpylane »

Castle Peak is pretty easy.. but as for other options:

Red Mountain. You can do this hike as a loop (if you have two vehicles). Start at Hunter Creek TH on north edge of town, climb/traverse Red Mountain with fantastic views of town, ski areas, and the rest of the Elk Range. Return to same TH or carry on to Sunnyside TH if you have a second vehicle.

Buckskin Pass. Though not quite a mountain, I find the view from the pass prettier/more dramatic than many 14er summits. Start at Maroon Lake, hike to Crater Lake at base of Maroon Bells and then just head up the pass.
me,myself,and I
14ers: 25 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by me,myself,and I »

How about Electric Pass?
Papillon
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 324 7
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Papillon »

Twining and 13500 from Indy Pass are both good, low key ops. Mileage is around 5 total with less than 2500 vert for both peaks. Nice views too. Park at the top of Independence Pass and start hiking north.
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs
Floyd
14ers: 58 
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (35)

Post by Floyd »

MrFrumpylane wrote:Buckskin Pass. Though not quite a mountain, I find the view from the pass prettier/more dramatic than many 14er summits. Start at Maroon Lake, hike to Crater Lake at base of Maroon Bells and then just head up the pass.
Buckskin Pass isn't a mountain, but Buckskin Benchmark is and has probably the best view of Snowmass/Snowmass Lake I've seen. Class 1 pretty much the whole way, maybe a class 2 step to gain the summit http://www.summitpost.org/buckskin-bm/153002" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another option is Willoughby Mountain. Incredible View of the Snowmass/Cap ridge. I'm sure OldSchool would greatly appreciate a picture if you went that way. The only TR on this site is from SarahT in April but still applicable though. Astrobassman and I had no trouble hiking it with a mean hangover after Cheeseburglar's wedding celebration last fall so routefinding should be pretty easy when sober. Here is the view you'd be greated with: http://www.summitpost.org/capitol-snowm ... 4/c-150300" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Again, not a mountain, but consider Geneva Lake. A beautiful hike, awesome camping and stellar views of Snowmass and Hagerman. Plus, you can climb higher on either peak if you're interested. Summits aren't critical for a great time.
joelsteidl
14ers: 23 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by joelsteidl »

Thanks all for the suggestions!

I will let you know what we end up doing. (Mid August)
pkripper
14ers: 27 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pkripper »

Mt. Sopris wouldn't be bad.