Pawnee Pass Conditions?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
YonderMountain
14ers: 22 
Trip Reports (0)

Pawnee Pass Conditions?

Post by YonderMountain »

Was wondering if anyone has been up there in the past week? Wondering how much snow is at the pass? Is Brainard Lake winter gate closed?

Thank you!!
George James
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Pawnee Pass Conditions?

Post by George James »

Brainard Lake gate is open but the gate below the Long and Mitchell Lake trailheads were still closed on Saturday. The snow drift on the road near the Long Lake TH is well shaded and it looked like it might stick around a little while longer.

I believe the pass itself is relatively dry on top...but there's plenty of snow on the way there. I'm pretty sure I took this photo looking up at where the pass trail is from near Lake Isabelle:

- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack
~ The Baron Von Bergschrund
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

Any photos of Paiute? Wondering if it is still "skiable"...
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
YonderMountain
14ers: 22 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by YonderMountain »

Thank you George! Exactly the beta I was looking for. Have a great weekend
HowardC
Trip Reports (0)

Post by HowardC »

Has anyone seen the west side of Pawnee Pass? i e: the drop down to Pawnee Lake? -H