Herman Gulch conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
beerhiker
14ers: 10 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Herman Gulch conditions

Post by beerhiker »

Hi, anybody been up in the last week? curious to know if its snow free yet, also any parking limitations this year as there has been in past?

Thanks
Charlie78
14ers: 17  1 
13ers: 32 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Herman Gulch conditions

Post by Charlie78 »

Best I can tell you is that 3 weeks ago it was a snowshoe starting about a mile+ from the lake. I can't imagine the snow melting out yet given the amount I saw, the valley headed up to the lake had the feeling of traveling across a glacier. If it has melted out I'd think you'd be dealing with a muddy mess.

If no one is able to give a recent report probably best thing would be to call the clear creek ranger district- (303) 567-3000. They were able to give me trail conditions prior to my hike.
killstorm
14ers: 8 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (0)

Post by killstorm »

I was just there on the 3rd. Still lots of snow for the last half mile to Herman Lake (still ice and snow covered itself). Before that the trail is quite muddy and rather more like a stream for sections on the return. The ridge line to the NE of the lake over to Hassell Peak is mostly snow free or skirtable though. Here's a view from the ridgeline looking towards the lake and the Citadel.

Image.
beerhiker
14ers: 10 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by beerhiker »

went up today, expecting to get rained on but was a perfect day. 1st mile is pretty much dry, 2nd mile is wet and muddy, 3rd mile in tree is snowy and all snow above trees with a few dry patches. Actually a clear spot on the lake that has cleared in the last 3 days, its melting fast.
jjust
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jjust »

I agree with beerhiker. Dry for a mile, real wet and muddy for another mile, and then snow covered to the lake and beyond.

Trip Report: The Citadel (07-03-2011)