Adirondack Trip Report

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Adirondack Trip Report

Post by nyker »

In case anyone would like to see what hiking in the Adirondacks is like, see below: I made a quick report with some snapshots of the climb.

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... size=large" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Charlie78
14ers: 17  1 
13ers: 32 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Adirondack Trip Report

Post by Charlie78 »

Nice report, thanks for posting. I'm from VT and have about 20 of the 46 high peaks done, Algonquin/Iroquois/Wright is one of the next ones I need to do when I'm back home visiting. Favorites so far have been Haystack, Skylight and Rocky Peak Ridge.

My friend from NY asked me which is more difficult, the 13ers/14ers or the Adk high peaks. I think they are apples and oranges and you can't really compare them, both are great and have their own unique challenges.
BeastoftheEast
14ers: 10 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BeastoftheEast »

Charlie78 wrote:apples and oranges
+1

MacIntyre Range is an ADK favorite of mine. Views of Colden, Marcy, and the Great Range are stellar. Looks like you had a nice day. Cool pix. Very nice.
The beast is in all of us. And so is the best.
nyker
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Yes, it was a cool climb in (finally) nice weather!

...and agreed, western peaks and eastern peaks are very different experiences, absolute elevation aside.

I think the biggest differences are the lack of switchbacks and the moisture on most of the trails.

I need to get up there and do some more this year.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

I tried to spend a week in the ADKs recently. Those mountains really make me appreciate Colorado.

Don't get me wrong, there are many nice hikes there and Algonquin is certainly one of them. But every hike seems to be the same, and the reward/effort ratio is not as high as it is in the West. Also if you don't camp about the only place to stay is Lake Placid, and the hotel owners know it. That said I'm sure I'll keep going back there to knock off more peaks (I'm at 10/46 now) because that's the way I am.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
Premiumtodd
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Premiumtodd »

TravelingMatt wrote:I tried to spend a week in the ADKs recently. Those mountains really make me appreciate Colorado.

Don't get me wrong, there are many nice hikes there and Algonquin is certainly one of them. But every hike seems to be the same, and the reward/effort ratio is not as high as it is in the West. Also if you don't camp about the only place to stay is Lake Placid, and the hotel owners know it. That said I'm sure I'll keep going back there to knock off more peaks (I'm at 10/46 now) because that's the way I am.
Some days in the Adirondacks your reward is as only as good as the photo your buddy takes of you after 15 long miles, most of which you bushwhacked in 90% humidity all the while getting attacked by black flies! I got my 46 plus the bonus one, I think you will find some really fun and interesting ones to do.
nyker
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Yea, lake Placid area is just about the only game in town for lodging without driving a lot to the trailheads.

The one thing that is a bit of a bummer (compared to the Rockies or Sierras) is that with the exception of the few taller peaks, many summits have no view due to being covered in trees.