Another sad story

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mountainmanny
14ers: 12 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Another sad story

Post by mountainmanny »

"The best climber....is the one having the most fun" ~ Alex Lowe
“Adopt the pace of nature; her secret is patience” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
"I believe in God, but not as one thing, not as an old man in the sky. I believe that what people call God is something in all of us. I believe that what Jesus and Mohammed and Buddha and all the rest said was right. It's just that the translations have gone wrong" ~ John Lennon
14erFred
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Another sad story

Post by 14erFred »

May Sheryl rest in peace, and may her family and friends find strength and comfort during this time of loss.
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius
CorduroyCalves
14ers: 16 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CorduroyCalves »

Yikes! Too many deaths on the mountains we love.

RIP
Life is too short to pay full retail for outdoor gear!

"God has cared for these trees, saved them from draught, disease, avalanches, and a thousand straining, leveling tempasts and floods; but he cannot save them from fools; only Uncle Sam can do that."--John Muir
climbing_rob
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

I humbly request of you all, this one is very close to my heart as Sheryl was a good friend: Please avoid the Monday morning quarter-backing, at least for a while. If John wants to share the complete story, let him do so. I suspect he will not care to, probably precisely because of responses on this and other sites.

Sheryl was as full of life as just about any mountaineer I've know, and as skilled.

Rest in peace, dear Sheryl.
big_red_pride
14ers: 33  1 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (6)

Post by big_red_pride »

RIP. May her family and friends find peace.
dave_navy_VA
14ers: 41 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dave_navy_VA »

She was apparently in the front lines of critical USFS work to manage those public lands for everyone to enjoy.

I envy anyone, especially a young person like this, that can stick to the biological sciences and also have an interesting and positive career in the outdoors.
Cthulhu 2008
14ers: 58  13  13 
13ers: 119 12 5
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Cthulhu 2008 »

Rest in peace Sheryl. She was an amazing person. We'll miss you always.
Cthulhu 2008 - Why Vote For A Lesser Evil
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

My thoughts are with her boyfriend, family, and friends. May she rest in peace. And may those close to her find peace in the future. So sad... :(
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

Is anyone familiar with "the hole" they are referring to in the article? I'm confused as to what it actually is as they used a dry suit to explore it and conditions below the snow were too harsh. Is it just due to melting above flowing into this hole that they need to wear a suit right now and they're just waiting for colder weather to stabilize it all?
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
crossfitter
Trip Reports (7)

Post by crossfitter »

CO Native wrote:Is anyone familiar with "the hole" they are referring to in the article? I'm confused as to what it actually is as they used a dry suit to explore it and conditions below the snow were too harsh. Is it just due to melting above flowing into this hole that they need to wear a suit right now and they're just waiting for colder weather to stabilize it all?
Looks like it might be similar to the rescue posted in this blog:

http://mtbakerclimbing.blogspot.com/
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

jimlup
14ers: 27  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by jimlup »

CO Native wrote:Is anyone familiar with "the hole" they are referring to in the article? I'm confused as to what it actually is as they used a dry suit to explore it and conditions below the snow were too harsh. Is it just due to melting above flowing into this hole that they need to wear a suit right now and they're just waiting for colder weather to stabilize it all?
Remember Baker is a volcano. My guess is that it a inactive vent shaft. I won't speculate about retrieval. I think at this point I'd rather leave that to SAR and the family. My Avatar picture is from full up Crevasse rescue practice on Baker. When we were there two years ago, it was pretty warm and there was a lot of melt. Yeah, I'd expect they would need a dry suit in a hole on Baker this time of year. The North Cascades (Mt. Baker) gets more snow than any other area in the lower 48.

RIP Sheryl. I reeling this season and while I didn't know Sheryl, I've known someone who was lost this year. Honestly, it makes me re-evaluate my position in the sport.
"Just because you have the gear does not mean that you are a Mountaineer!" My daughter's cynical comment about my hobby...
rking007
14ers: 13  1 
13ers: 19 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rking007 »

Truly sad. Peace to your family and boyfriend. :(
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.