Kings Peak, UT conditions?

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
dave alex
14ers: 57 
13ers: 170
Trip Reports (2)

Kings Peak, UT conditions?

Post by dave alex »

Anyone climb this one recently from Henrys Fork? I am planning an attempt this weekend. Curious about snow conditions.
usfgal
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Kings Peak, UT conditions?

Post by usfgal »

I am sorry, this isn't a direct answer to your question, but I hope this information might help you avoid a similar situation that we encountered last year at this time. We hiked in 3 miles to the water crossing--the highpointers book (written by the Wingers) makes it seem like no big deal (a creek crossing with a log bridge or something). We got there, and it was a raging river (really wide), and there was NOWHERE to cross that we could find. The log bridge was gone. Some other hikers came toward us on the same side of the water and said they had been in the area for a few days and couldn't find a place to cross. Then, we saw some other guy on the other side. He said there was no way to cross, and that he had swam across. (We had our 2-yr-old with us, so that wasn't an option). You might want to call before you go to find out about that crossing. Not that it would keep you from going, but at least you could be prepared for it.
skiwall
14ers: 2 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by skiwall »

I don't have conditions directly, but given the above post, I would think you should definitely call and ask about this if possible. It's just now gotten hot in Utah, and the rivers in N Utah are all really, really high right now.
"A good woman knows her place is in the backcountry." - PW '08
dave alex
14ers: 57 
13ers: 170
Trip Reports (2)

Post by dave alex »

Thanks all. A phone call will be made in the very near future.
skiwall
Trip Reports (1)

Post by skiwall »

Let us know what you find? I'm contemplating this one, too.
jth221
14ers: 58 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (2)

Post by jth221 »

We (with usfgal) just did this over last weekend (Fri-Sun) and the weather was clear and perfect conds the entire trip. Temps were only like low 60's but it felt perfect. Mosquitos were a pest though! Take bug spray. They are terrible from the trailhead up to (and worse at) Dollar Lake, back behind the pass and not getting a break until close to 13,000. The only other notes i can state: there are several snow fields as you get closer to the summit, and the hike up to dollar lake after you cross the bridge (which is now up and replaced about 400 yards up the trail after you leave the woods as of 7/22) has some muddy swampy areas to go through. But overall its a very easy summit if you're used to climbing 14ers. Its just the hike is very long. It was state highpoint #38 for us. Have fun!
skiwall
Trip Reports (1)

Post by skiwall »

Thanks, and congrats! :)