First 14er with kids

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
wheathins
Trip Reports (0)

First 14er with kids

Post by wheathins »

Hiked Quandry East trail with my 7 and 9 year old kids and my beautiful wife. Being from flat Houston, we took our time and completed up and down in about 7 hrs. I am very proud of the kids pushing thru their pain and loved welcoming them to the club. More adventures to come later...
The Joe
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: First 14er with kids

Post by The Joe »

Concrats to the kids!

I am taking my daughter to do Handies in a couple of weeks. Other than hiking to the top of Evans from the parking lot when she was 6, it will be her 1st real 14er hike. She's 9 now.

Any advice?
"I'll get there, eventually. I'm too stubborn to quit!"
huffy13
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

Congrats! I am taking my youngest for a hike of Quandary (I hope!) this summer...it will be her first 14er too. She has been chomping at the bit to get one under her belt. It makes it that much more rewarding to share the experience with your kids, huh?
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.
bf31415
14ers: 18 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bf31415 »

Congrats. I think I recall passing you guys (I did quandry on the 4th too-- guy with beard and happy face hat) and had thought about asking how old your kids are. I've got a 5 YO and we occasionally drive up to Grays/Torrey's TH, have lunch and explore. She often talks of doing a 14er too.
wheathins
Trip Reports (0)

Post by wheathins »

My 9 year old boy is telling me to bring lots of water and snacks. We brought too many layers of clothes not knowing what to expect and ended up leaving on the side of the trail. The first mile in the tree line was difficult as we had to catch our breath, but once the peak was in sight, everyone was excited...so have to keep at it. Quandry had a fair amount of other hikers and they were really encouraging to the kids which kept them motivated. They also enjoyed playing in the snow some as we are from Houston. Mostly...just have to keep at it.
Lotso
14ers: 6 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Lotso »

Awesome! Congrats. My Son and I made it to the top of Quandary for our 1st 14er on June 27 (made 2 unsuccessful attempts in the winter so we had to go back). Hailing from the great mountain region of SE Kansas (elev 900 ft), we relate to how much of a challenge it is. What a great way to share time with your kids eh? Beats the hell out of them wasting away in front of the Xbox! We are now hooked on Colorado! We stopped by and climbed Red Cloud and Sunshine on our way home from Moab on the 2nd. Can't wait to go back (thinking Elbert on Labor day..) Again - Congrats.