Mount Shasta Day Hikes?

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Rusty Shackleford
14ers: 17 
Trip Reports (0)

Mount Shasta Day Hikes?

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

The wife and I will be in Redding the last week of July. We would love to summit Shasta, but it just isn't going to happen this year. So we would like some advice on great day hikes up to 10,000ft (permits req above that).

Great views are the first consideration and elevation gain is second.

Would prefer west or south THs, but have I read correctly that northern trails have the best view?

THANKS!!!
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Mount Shasta Day Hikes?

Post by peter303 »

Well I did Shasta as a "day hike" about a dozen hours as I seem to recall :oops: .
The avalanche chute in August. Its snow-free and very punishing scree field then.

You might investigate hiking some of the Lava Tube caves in the area.
Last edited by peter303 on Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rusty Shackleford
Trip Reports (0)

Yes, I guess day hike isn't the best wording. Looking for a beautiful hike within the circumference of the mount Shasta area that doesn't involve summiting a peak or point above 10,000 ft . :)

I'll look at lava caves. Thanks
taylorzs
14ers: 57  35  3 
13ers: 95 31 9
Trip Reports (76)

Post by taylorzs »

The hike up to Lake Helen via Avalanche Gulch would probably be nice. I do not know what snow conditions are up there right now, might still need snow gear? That is about halfway up Shasta and sits at about 10,000'. I do not know if you need a permit for it. It is pretty and will give you a glipse at the upper part of the standard route if you do ever decide to climb it.
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds." Edward Abbey

http://www.zachtaylorsnowboarding.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
skiwall
14ers: 2 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by skiwall »

taylorzs wrote:The hike up to Lake Helen via Avalanche Gulch would probably be nice. I do not know what snow conditions are up there right now, might still need snow gear? That is about halfway up Shasta and sits at about 10,000'. I do not know if you need a permit for it. It is pretty and will give you a glipse at the upper part of the standard route if you do ever decide to climb it.
I skied Shasta on 6/25 all the way to the car at the Bunny Flat trailhead. I heard they had a ton of snow last Monday/Tuesday. You need a permit to go above 10K ft I think. It was also quite crowded.
"A good woman knows her place is in the backcountry." - PW '08
taylorzs
14ers: 57  35  3 
13ers: 95 31 9
Trip Reports (76)

Post by taylorzs »

Skiwall, that is awesome that you skied to Bunny Flat a couple days ago! I am jealous! I got a great descent on Shasta last month though. I wish we still had that much snow here in Co. I really have no idea how quickly snow melts off in N California. I guess since Lake Helen is at 10,000' (right at but not sure if it is just above or below the 10000' mark for permit purposes) the question Rusty would want to know (other than do they need snow gear?, which you answered) would be do you need a permit to hike just to the lake since that sits at the elevation of the permit restrictions?
That is at least two ski descents by you of Shasta. =D> I remember reading your earlier 14ers.com tr several times for Shasta before we left for our trip a couple months ago now. Thanks for the tr, it was helpful. I would like to return for the Bolam or Hotlum glacier routes sometime in the next few years.
Rusty, one other thing to think about was the crowds Skiwall mentioned. Maybe somewhere with less traffic would be in order for you? Somewhere in the Lassen Peak area might be less crowded? Do not really no too much in that area really, just throwing ideas out there. Or the Sisters/Hood area of Oregon could be other possibilities as well. Have fun,
Zach
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds." Edward Abbey

http://www.zachtaylorsnowboarding.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
skiwall
14ers: 2 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by skiwall »

Lassen National Park was very pretty- they didn't have the road open all the way yet, but you could hike to a TH for Lassen, I think. I forget the name. We skied Lassen, too. The snow was melting very quickly. Once it saturates fully, it goes so fast! It's really amazing! Anyway, for Lassen, we had to hike about half a mile from the parking lot to get on snow. I'd imagine by now it's melted considerably more.

Another thing to mention is that all of the showers at the campsites we stopped at take quarters. I was surprised. I was out of cash, so I begged for quarters.
"A good woman knows her place is in the backcountry." - PW '08
Rusty Shackleford
Trip Reports (0)

Good info, thanks! I have been thinking about Lassen as well. Crazy they are still getting snow...
mstender
14ers: 9 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mstender »

taylorzs wrote:The hike up to Lake Helen via Avalanche Gulch would probably be nice. I do not know what snow conditions are up there right now, might still need snow gear? That is about halfway up Shasta and sits at about 10,000'. I do not know if you need a permit for it. It is pretty and will give you a glipse at the upper part of the standard route if you do ever decide to climb it.
Helen Lake is at 10,500ft, so technically you would need a permit. When we were there a couple of years ago, a Ranger camped at Helen as well and came around dinner time to ask people for their permits. I guess if you just day hiked you might get away without it. In my opinion it is not a really nice dayhike but more of a slogfest! Especially if you go late in the season when most of the snow up to Helen has melted and you will be hiking on talus. Even though that might not be an issue this year since there was so much snow. The hike up to Helen is not particularly nice and views are not that great either; you will just see a lot of people hauling gear up to base camp.
Take a look at Brokeoff Mountain in Lassen Volcanic National Park! It's a great scenic day hike with great views of Lassen and Shasta as well.
"You may have passed time in happier ways, but there are other mountains to climb: you've never lived as you're living today - now is the time!"
Peter Hammill 1976
mstender
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mstender »

Fletch wrote:Lassen Peak trail is closed this season for maintenance (from my understanding).
That would be one more reason to hike Brokeoff Mountain even though it is more scenic than hiking Lassen Peak anyway.

Good call on the North side of Shasta!
"You may have passed time in happier ways, but there are other mountains to climb: you've never lived as you're living today - now is the time!"
Peter Hammill 1976
happy_ledges
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by happy_ledges »

Was up on Shasta for the first time 6/17-18. I found this map very helpful in planning and getting a sense of routes on the mountain
http://www.wildernesspress.com/product. ... ctid=16639" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The possibilities up there are endless it seems. I spent a morning hiking up to Lake Helen and boarding down. Next day headed over to Cascade Gulch but ended up hiking up to the ridge separating Cascade Gulch and the West Face. Rode down the West Face from a bit over 10000ft. Great turns and barely saw anyone all day. I have heard good things about Brewer Creek TH and the Hotlum-Wintun ridge route. I really don't think you can go wrong up there.
mstender
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mstender »

Another nice day hike in the Shasta area that I forgot (It has been quite a while that it lived in NoCal) is Black Butte even though it is only a little above 6000ft but it has great views on the surrounding area and Mt. Shasta. It is about 2.5 miles with 2000ft elevation gain to the summit.
Peter Hammill 1976