Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Just a idea.....

Check here for updates to the forum and site.

Re: Just a idea.....

Postby TheKanes » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:32 pm

Probably not a place to publicly say, " I'm gone all day and my house is free for the taking.". I agree that leaving detailed trip plans with a close friend or relative is best.

Postby dcbates80911 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:56 pm

COmedic04 wrote:Dave, that wouldn't be a certain sprint down Wetterhorn you're referring to, would it? ;-)

What gave you that idea Ryan? By the way, I don't think I have ever seen anyone jump as high as you from a crack of lightning. :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Postby imtheguy247 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:10 pm

I do like this idea. And like "14 aint easy" said, we could have people on the mountain looking for each other. If someone didn't check in and you had plans to go to the same route/mountain you could keep an eye out for gear, tents, etc.

Postby JB99 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:39 pm

If people want to post that info they can already, the "Climbing Connections" forum seems like an appropriate place for this. At the end of the day though I think having a specific forum where people can anonomyously watch out for each other and when they should be back etc., will only lead to more harm than good. For instance, what if I post on here a specific return time and then don't make it back by then, or just forget to post that I'm down safe, are you going to call SAR? Maybe I'm in Lake City eating dinner and don't have coverage, maybe I am driving... If I tell someone my itinerary though, as I do, they can text me and ask if I'm down, I'll see the text and tell them, unnecessary SAR call averted.

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:55 am

This site probably isn't a good place to leave itineraries. In addition to the security questions already pointed out, there's the matter of screen names versus real names. How would SAR use the posted info without real names?

I've had the idea in the past that Twitter might be a good place for this kind of thing, assuming your friends and relatives know your account. Any trip plans you post there would get lost in the general noise so the car thieves and burglars probably wouldn't be able to get anything dangerous from it.

Of course, best is to have someone back home who knows when to call for help if you don't come back. If nobody has responsibility for calling when you're missing, it will delay any rescue by days - think Aron Ralston.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby Canadian in Colorado » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:04 am

JB99 wrote:For instance, what if I post on here a specific return time and then don't make it back by then, or just forget to post that I'm down safe

I would definitely forget to do this!
If you're lucky enough to live in the mountains...you're lucky enough.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:11 am

I've spent some time thinking about this topic and that having a defined place to post itineraries on 14ers.com may do more harm than good. Most importantly, the potential for "stalking" and unintended search and rescue operations.

Each time I climb I just give my wife a detailed itinerary, map with intended route, emergency numbers, when I should be back in contact, etc.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Previous