Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Just a idea.....

Check here for updates to the forum and site.

Just a idea.....

Postby 14in aint easy » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:29 pm

So in recent years there have been alot of deaths and accidents and after the 2 climbers went missing on Missouri Mountain I though of an idea for the site. Seems the hikers had been unheard from for a few days before being reported missing and maybe this site could be a good place to have a section for people to leave their climbing plans along with emergency numbers, when they are planning on leaving and returning, and a check in/out so if something were to happen there could be a faster response time. I know its not a cure to accidents but seems like with social media the word could be put out alot faster.

Re: Just a idea.....

Postby IanG » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:35 pm

In theory I think that idea is a good one and maybe to a degree there is a way that this site can help with these issues. Few things that come to mind though: Would the site administrator want to have that responsibility? What if someone forgets to check back in. For me as a hiker I would feel more comfortable if I knew several real close friends know what I am doing. Regardless I think you might be onto something though.

Postby 14in aint easy » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:41 pm

yeah it is a very rough idea and I know alot of people usually let people know their plans but thought it could be one more way to help

Postby globreal » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:51 pm

You could really be on to something here.

Bill...what about adding in the forum section, a new TOPIC thread called TRIP ITINERARIES?

As people are heading out to climb, they just post online here their plans. That way, the authorities could just use this site as a place to first check. Think about it, if the family members/friends are unreachable because they are at work or in a no-cell service zone, that doesn't mean the authorities couldn't access the immediate info they may need.

I already email my wife/kids my trip itineraries, it could also make sense posting online here itineraries/plans.

And if someone is uncomfortable posting their future itineraries/plans online, then maybe there is an "on-call" Administrator (even one of "us" of the 14er community who will be home) who could accept those PM's.

Might be a way to get a response team to someone sooner than 11 days, as just was the case on Missouri.

Just a thought....
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die."
~John 11:25

Postby dmccool » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:02 pm

globreal wrote:You could really be on to something here.

+1, nice suggestion, OP
Save a place for me up in the high country.
There's still space to breathe.

- Gregory Alan Isakov

Postby 14in aint easy » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:09 pm

The other advantage would be if other people posting their plans saw someone else who was going up the same time you would have "eyes on the mountains" a way for people to look out for each other.

Postby jfrenzen » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:47 pm

I think leaving an itinerary in your vehicle at the trailhead, (on the dash) where it is visible to any authorities/SAR is also a good idea. That way if a sheriff checks your license plate and figures out your car is related to a call in from a family/friend....they will inspect the car and see the exact plans/route you intended on. However, of course this kind of goes out the window if a person chooses or is required to take a different route to avoid lightning, storms, etc. Better than nothing I figure....so I've made this a habit on any hike.
Mount of the Holy Cross--July 10th 2010
Mount Sherman--August 14th 2010
Mount Bierstadt, Sawtooth traverse--July 22, 2011
Longs Peak--August 4th, 2012
Mount Evans--July 4th, 2013

Postby mountain_man » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:39 am

jfrenzen wrote:I think leaving an itinerary in your vehicle at the trailhead, (on the dash) where it is visible to any authorities/SAR is also a good idea. That way if a sheriff checks your license plate and figures out your car is related to a call in from a family/friend....they will inspect the car and see the exact plans/route you intended on. However, of course this kind of goes out the window if a person chooses or is required to take a different route to avoid lightning, storms, etc. Better than nothing I figure....so I've made this a habit on any hike.

You really don't want to leave any times on that note though, otherwise if people know your expected return time, that's an invitation for thieves to make their way into your vehicle. Otherwise I see the advantages of leaving the rest of the route information visible. I've thought about leaving my name tag from work on the dash to help the identification of my car easier. You could certainly leave your entire itinerary in somewhere just out of sight for the authorities if they break into your vehicle.

The idea from the OP is a good one, esspecially for the fact that some people may not have friends or family available for whatever reason to either keep tabs on their safe return, or report a failed return.
"To live and not to breathe is to die in tragedy." - Billie Joe Armstrong
"What I know I could put into a pack as if it were bread and cheese, and carry it on one shoulder, important and honorable, but so small! While everything else continues, unexplained, and unexplainable." - Mary Oliver

Postby michelle » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:45 am

jfrenzen wrote:I think leaving an itinerary in your vehicle at the trailhead, (on the dash) where it is visible to any authorities/SAR is also a good idea. That way if a sheriff checks your license plate and figures out your car is related to a call in from a family/friend....they will inspect the car and see the exact plans/route you intended on. However, of course this kind of goes out the window if a person chooses or is required to take a different route to avoid lightning, storms, etc. Better than nothing I figure....so I've made this a habit on any hike.

I've done this as well, leaving itinerary and family/friend contact information on the dash. Good idea.

Postby dcbates80911 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:32 am

Nice idea, but not sure if you want that information out on a public forum. It may invite thieves to target certain highly active trail heads. Same with leaving details in a car window. Every year, there are a rash of car break-ins at Colorado Springs area trailheads. This type of information would help the uninvited guests.

As for the Missouri situation, there are many things that trouble me about the public story. I say public story because things get distorted in translation and we do not know the whole story. So based on what I heard, I find it troubling that they were out on a "day" hike and it wasn't until days later they were reported missing. That bothers me, but I am not sure it would have changed the outcome.

I make it a habit to leave detailed plans (in writing/e-mail) to several family members. Start time, expected end time (AKA Panic Time), trailhead, local authorities phone numbers, possible partners, links to details about the specific trail, expected route, and any potential deviation I may take based on my interests. Four years ago my estimate on the "expected end time" gave me some problems when I was moving slow and my wife was particularly anxious. Today, I carry a SPOT unit she can follow and check to see my progress on the internet. The SPOT is not a tool that covers all options. It is technology that can fail, so all the other details I leave are very important. If I am injured in the mountains, I personally would like to know that at some point rescuers will be on their way.

Another issue is lighting. If the weather is turning bad, turn around. The recent Princeton accident and speculation on the Missouri accident involve lightning. I am guilty of staying above tree line during a storm and it was one of the scariest events of my life. Today, I will turn around and try again later.

Remember, we can come up with good ideas all around to help our community, but as a climber the most important tool is my common sense.
There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:44 am

dcbates80911 wrote:Nice idea, but not sure if you want that information out on a public forum. It may invite thieves to target certain highly active trail heads. Same with leaving details in a car window. Every year, there are a rash of car break-ins at Colorado Springs area trailheads. This type of information would help the uninvited guests.

As for the Missouri situation, there are many things that trouble me about the public story. I say public story because things get distorted in translation and we do not know the whole story. So based on what I heard, I find it troubling that they were out on a "day" hike and it wasn't until days later they were reported missing. That bothers me, but I am not sure it would have changed the outcome.

I make it a habit to leave detailed plans (in writing/e-mail) to several family members. Start time, expected end time (AKA Panic Time), trailhead, local authorities phone numbers, possible partners, links to details about the specific trail, expected route, and any potential deviation I may take based on my interests. Four years ago my estimate on the "expected end time" gave me some problems when I was moving slow and my wife was particularly anxious. Today, I carry a SPOT unit she can follow and check to see my progress on the internet. The SPOT is not a tool that covers all options. It is technology that can fail, so all the other details I leave are very important. If I am injured in the mountains, I personally would like to know that at some point rescuers will be on their way.

Another issue is lighting. If the weather is turning bad, turn around. The recent Princeton accident and speculation on the Missouri accident involve lightning. I am guilty of staying above tree line during a storm and it was one of the scariest events of my life. Today, I will turn around and try again later.

Remember, we can come up with good ideas all around to help our community, but as a climber the most important tool is my common sense.

Amen.

Postby COmedic04 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:14 pm

Dave, that wouldn't be a certain sprint down Wetterhorn you're referring to, would it? ;-)

Next