Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Tigiwon Road status

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: Tigiwon Road status

Postby ATOMEMT » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:48 pm

6.23.11: I took this Thursday afternoon.
Attachments
MT HOLY CROSS 1.5.jpg
MT HOLY CROSS 1.5.jpg (317.22 KiB) Viewed 1729 times

Postby rockchalker » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:52 pm

I had emailed Corey Myers with the forest service last week and I believe he was out of the office. Received the below note back from him this afternoon.

Unfortunately, Tigiwon Road will be closed to vehicles all summer. Here is a (long) link to the full press release about it:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsint ... name=White River National Forest- News & Events

You can walk up the road to the Cross Creek trail but the bridge about 1 mile in is indeed still out. The trail crew will begin replacement of the bridge when the runoff subsides, most likely in late July.

Snow line is currently around 10,000 feet.

Corey Myers
Information Assistant
Holy Cross Ranger District
E-mail: cbmyers@fs.fed.us
"Richness is defined not by who has the most but by who needs the least."

Postby tmathews » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:56 pm

rockchalker wrote:Unfortunately, Tigiwon Road will be closed to vehicles all summer. Here is a (long) link to the full press release about it:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsint ... name=White River National Forest- News & Events

Hmm, that URL seems incomplete.

Edit: Oh, it did finally load.

Postby Andy_Lyon » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:20 am

It's a beautiful day to be alive and living in Colorado.

Postby shaunster_co » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:42 pm

I posted an alternate route for Mt of the Holy Cross (Hunky Dory TH), hope that helps.
http://www.14ers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30756&p=362774#p362774

Postby Oldskool70 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:26 am

Anything new on the tree clearing of Tigiwon road for the standard route?
If you're not moshing, it's NOT music.

Postby Carl » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:36 am

Oldskool70 wrote:Anything new on the tree clearing of Tigiwon road for the standard route?

Not really. Logging activity may be limited to the weekdays but the road is kept close on the weekends too. Bring your bike.

Postby alpinerlb » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:22 am

Closed on weekends too.

Truckers come in and out of the gate weekdays AND on weekends - and are locking the gate behind them.

I was driving back from Avon yesterday (Sun July 17), drove in to check it out and watched 2 trucks come out of the gate with full loads, lock the gate, and wave at me.

(The gate is about 50 yards past the pipe trellis.)

Postby Tango2Hotel » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:50 am

the Tgiwone road closure is a problem. I am was planning on doing the Halo ridge route this year and I have a plan B. I am going to enter the wilderness from the Fancy Creek trailhead and move north through Honkey Dorey TH and pickup the Fall creek trail (#2001) through Fall Creek Pass. Then hit the Notch Mountain trail (#2000) at N39 28.21’ and W106 26.47’ and join the Halo ridge route at that point. It is a very long workaround that should make this a couple day adventure. This is an abridged version of a 11 day hike I did last year with the Summit of Massive being my capstone!

Does anyone know of water, campsites, or anything else near that trail intersection ? GPS coordinates of Water and campsites would be greatly appreciated!

Postby Carl » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:54 am

Carl wrote:the road is kept close on the weekends too.

alpinerlb wrote:Closed on weekends too.

Thanks for clarifying.

Postby rijaca » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:29 pm

Tango2Hotel wrote:the Tgiwone road closure is a problem. I am was planning on doing the Halo ridge route this year and I have a plan B. I am going to enter the wilderness from the Fancy Creek trailhead and move north through Honkey Dorey TH and pickup the Fall creek trail (#2001) through Fall Creek Pass. Then hit the Notch Mountain trail (#2000) at N39 28.21’ and W106 26.47’ and join the Halo ridge route at that point. It is a very long workaround that should make this a couple day adventure. This is an abridged version of a 11 day hike I did last year with the Summit of Massive being my capstone!

Does anyone know of water, campsites, or anything else near that trail intersection ? GPS coordinates of Water and campsites would be greatly appreciated!

Several things:

* The road to the Fancy Creek TH is currently washed out ~1.5 miles below the TH (call FS for repair status). You'll have to hike the HC jeep road to get to Hunky Dory Lake (good camping there).
* HC can be climbed from the uppermost of the Seven Sisters Lakes (without going over Fall Creek Pass). Ascend the south slopes of UN13,768', then run Holy Cross Ridge (13,831') to the summit of HC. (route description can be found in Garratt and Martin's, High 13ers book).
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Postby CarpeDM » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:24 pm

I just did the southern route that rijaca mentions late last week with a camp at Hunky Dory Lake. Should have a trip report out in the next couple of days.

Short version: With current conditions it was a tough trip. On my way in, I met a guy who was daytripping for the centennial only from the start of the 4wd road. His day was 12 hours with probably at least an hour to go. My summit day from camp to camp was 17 hours, but I got 3 peaks, I came down a bad way, and I'm really slow. The road wash-out didn't help. Lots of rushing streams and marshes (and then darkness) caused me route-finding problems - in particular getting by the Tuhare Lakes on the way down (I had ascended up to the east ridge of Pt 13,768 and should've come back that way). Also, the campsites at the junction for Tuhare Lakes were soggy; the Hunky Dory campsite was in really good shape.

I also saw a flatbed loaded with timber coming off the Tigiwon Road on my way back (Saturday morning).
"Skepticism is the first step towards truth." - Denis Diderot
"It is not what the man of science believes that distinguishes him, but how and why he believes it. His beliefs are tentative, not dogmatic; they are based on evidence, not on authority or intuition." - Bertrand Russell
"Tell people there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure." - George Carlin
"Some say they're goin' to a place called Glory And I ain't saying it ain't a fact. But I've heard that I'm on the road to Purgatory And I don't like the sound of that.
I believe in love and I live my life accordingly. But I choose to let the mystery be" - Iris Dement

PreviousNext