Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

shorts ok in peru?

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA.

shorts ok in peru?

Postby davebks » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:33 am

Random question.. i leave in a week for my trip to peru. Are shorts ok down there? I know in Nepal, due to religious and cultural standards, no shorts were worn.
Is peru like that or am I ok with shorts?

Thanks!

Re: shorts ok in peru?

Postby mstender » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:51 am

davebks wrote:Are shorts ok down there?

Yes, shorts are okay. Remember, Peru is a Catholic country...so the only place where shorts are not okay would be if you wanted to visit a church.
Enjoy your time in Peru!
"You may have passed time in happier ways, but there are other mountains to climb: you've never lived as you're living today - now is the time!"
Peter Hammill 1976

Postby davebks » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:58 am

Great, thanks! Should be a cool trip. Machu Picchu, Tocllaraju, etc.

Postby alpinechris » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:11 pm

Just got back from the very same itinerary. Six days in Cuzco/Machu Pichu and 5 days in Huaraz. Climbed Ishinca and Tocllaraju with my 2 teenaged sons and my baby, 38, year old brother. I'm turning 52 this summer. The climbs were a challenge for me and my brother. The boys were very strong. I learned the rest step and utilized it often. The head wall on Tocllaraju is a beast. Made the summit on Father's Day and we will never forget it. It was exhilarating! You are in for a great adventure. Shorts are okay but we never wore them. Gets cool very quickly when the sun goes down. Enjoy!

PS: Alpaca was delicious, Cui [guinea pig] not so good.

Postby Oman » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:39 pm

alpinechris wrote:PS: Alpaca was delicious, Cui [guinea pig] not so good.

Ha! Our oldest son is working at an orphanage now in Cusco, but he spent a night in the clinic this weekend after some local food turned him into a 5-foot-11 volcano. He blames the guinea pig. Cipro: the miracle drug!

Postby mstender » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:03 pm

Oh, I forgot to mention this too. I would be less worried about shorts than stomach bugs. I turned into a dribbling mess at the base camp of Pichu Pichu which is about a 4 hour drive on a bad dirt road from Arequipa. That was not a lot of fun. :evil: Cipro was the answer. Get a prescription here, even though you can buy it down there but the quality is not the same according to my wife who is a pharmacist and from Peru.
"You may have passed time in happier ways, but there are other mountains to climb: you've never lived as you're living today - now is the time!"
Peter Hammill 1976

Postby davebks » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:05 pm

thanks. I have tons of cipro im bringing with. it is a lifesaver! almost literally.
fingers are crossed i wont need it, but you know, I probably will :)
made it until the very last night in nepal (a full month) before I got hit. i mean... a whole trip and bam, the last night.... guess nothing is perfect, just almost perfect :)