Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

The ever important avatar and signature...

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to try and sell your photos or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

The ever important avatar and signature...

Postby rking007 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:25 pm

Fun question for all who choose to involve themselves... where is your avatar from, if it applies, or, what does it mean to you or why did you choose it, and why did you choose the signature you have.

One thing I love about this website is the variety of personalities that post here. Our common denominator is the love of the mountains and I am always intrigued at meeting new people and hearing their stories. I spent about thirty minutes yesterday morning learning about the radio-activity of bananas and sleeping next to someone from Jim Davies' (thank you for the knowledge) signature for example. So, just a fun question if you care to comment!

My avatar is from the summit of point 13,641 on Bierstadt's east ridge. I put it there because I wanted to par up a little on the bad arse-ness of some of the other photos and avatars I've seen and aspire to get to someday on this quest called 'life'. My signature is my favorite verse from the good book. It has exemplified how I have lived my life so far and how I plan on going forward in it.
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.

Re: The ever important avatar and signature...

Postby livetothemax96 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:36 pm

par up a little on the bad arse-ness of some of the other photos and avatars I've seen

+1

but I have no avatar because my computer wont let me upload one ](*,) any thoughts?

As far as my signature, i have seen to many people who are close to me (despite being young) waste away in pursuit of money, and then in latter years free time [-(
whats life unless you live it?

Postby Brian Thomas » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:39 pm

My avatar is Guini aka Linguine. She lived her first decade as a house/barn cat on several acres in Northeast Ohio in the company of many other cats, dogs, people, a pig named Pammy and a goat named Twinkie. Due to a sudden death in the human family on that fine spread of land, she relocated to Columbus, Ohio and spent the rest of her days in more cramped quarters with a pit bull, rottweiler-mix, golden-retreiverish beast, and German shepherd. Venturing from her basement lair into the kitchen, living room, and yard, she held her own against much younger and fiercer canine creatures. They learned soon to give her wide berth. At the ripe old age of 17-18???, she moved on to a better place. God bless Guini :)
guini.jpg
guini.jpg (3.97 KiB) Viewed 753 times

edited to reflect new avatar
Last edited by Brian Thomas on Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan

Postby Craig Cook » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:44 pm

rking007 wrote:I spent about thirty minutes yesterday morning learning about the radio-activity of bananas and sleeping next to someone from Jim Davies' (thank you for the knowledge) signature for example.

Haha, I'm glad I'm not the only one who's done this! I was trying to tell my wife while we were in Colorado Springs this week that each day we were there was like eating 12 bananas. She just stared at me with this blank look on her face. Thanks Jim! :lol:

I can't get any of my photos to work with the avatar size limits, so I took a stock photo from the options here. I picked the Maroon Bells because I find them to be some of the most beautiful mountains there is.

I currently don't have a signature, because I've liked so many that other people have here, but don't want to feel like I'm stealing it from them. :-k
Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Postby schrund » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:01 pm

My Avatar is a photo that was taken by one of the most talented Mountaineers I have ever met, Peter Doucette, IFMGA certified Mountain Guide. I have long appreciated all that the mountains have to offer not only us, those that embrace the "good tidings" of mountains as so eloquently penned by the legenday John Muir, but the greater societal good as well. While guiding me on Rewritten in Eldorado Canyon, he not only gracefully "danced" me across the dance floor, but captured my feelings towards mountains in a classic shot. We are lucky that Bill built this site where we can all appreciate each others moments in the sun! - oh .. and my quote... Mountains have never been a "wilderness" to me... they are my CHURCH! :-)
We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams... as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness".
-Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Chief

Postby Derek » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:16 pm

**edit...this thread reminded me that I hadn't changed my avatar in a while, so my previous explanation is no longer valid. :D

--Derek
Last edited by Derek on Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I used to think my Dad was Elvis. But I haven't told him that yet. I haven't told my Dad either." -S. Murdoch
LOJ

Postby Brian C » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:19 pm

Mine is of me on the first flatiron the 1st time I climbed it. Just thought it was a good photo. There will be some interesting replies to this!
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth

Postby gdthomas » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:12 pm

High School mascot. Any one from Cincinnati would recognize it.

Postby dcbates80911 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:12 pm

My avatar is of me starting up the last stretch on Wetterhorn during the 2010 Fall gathering. Had an absolute blast during that climb and enjoyed the company of my four partners.

As for my signature, it is usually something recently seen or heard that amused me. It is changed when something new is heard or found.
There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Postby mountain_man » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:19 pm

My photo is on top of Green Mountain outside of Boulder. Aside from the fact that the mountain does retain some sentimental value, of all the pictures I have, it's the picture where I look the most comtemplative and pompus. Those who know me at all know that I am hardly neither.

My favorite quotes just represent my current mentality.
"To live and not to breathe is to die in tragedy." - Billie Joe Armstrong
"What I know I could put into a pack as if it were bread and cheese, and carry it on one shoulder, important and honorable, but so small! While everything else continues, unexplained, and unexplainable." - Mary Oliver

Postby TK » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:26 pm

My avatar is my arm where it would appear on the horizon if it was the real deal. From the Evans-Spalding saddle.

My signature I don't remember, so I'll have to read it and edit this post...

Edit: right, my signature doesn't exist.
"If you're not sure where you are, but you haven't taken the time to stop and look at the map, you're not lost, just lazy." -Darran Wells

Postby TravelingMatt » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:49 pm

Avatar is the sign above the Million Dollar Cowboy Bar in Jackson, Wyoming. I like the way the colors and the moon came out, and it has just the right amount of detail to make a good avatar. Also, it reminds me of the best non-Colorado hiking trip I've done yet.

Signature (for now) is partly a facetious takeoff of a well-known butchered Latin phrase and a partly a statement of my hiking goals. When I climb all fifty-four 14ers I ain't taking no crap from anyone telling me it doesn't count because I didn't do some peak that's on their list but not mine.
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Next