Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Tigiwon Road status

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: Tigiwon Road status

Postby rockchalker » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:03 pm

A group of us were planning to do Holy Cross the first week in September so I also very interested in the status of Tigiwon Road. I have sent an email to the forest service and will let you know if I hear any new news.
"Richness is defined not by who has the most but by who needs the least."

Postby jimmtman » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:04 pm

I spoke to the HC Ranger Station at lunch. Same story - Tigiwan road closed indefinately to motor vehicles until logging is completed - perhaps before October. The lady ranger said that walking on the road was permitted but of course add 8 miles each way. I asked about mountain bikes and she wasn't sure if that was allowed. She recommended using the Holy Cross City TH and joining up with the Fall Creek trail. I have to look at the map some more and also the Tuhare lake option. I expressed my displeasure about the road closure for the record.

Postby tmathews » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:04 pm

leftyslugger wrote:I tried calling a couple of times and couldn't get anyone on the phone. I didn't have time to wait or call again. I'm planning a trip in that area around July 7th. Making plans for a Gore trip instead unless I hear the road opens.

I betcha they've been inundated with calls.

Postby leftyslugger » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:08 pm

I'm sure they have. It's 100 degrees where I live. Hasn't rained since Jan. 24. My home A/C went out...I need some high mountain air! I'm not up for walking the road so I'll hit some lower, remote peaks and seek some solitude of the Gores.

Good luck to everyone in their climbing adventures this summer. Be safe!

Postby Missy_Goat » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:12 pm

Thanks to the road closure, our July 4th plans for Holy Cross are debauched. Looking at some other alternatives that would be good for backpacking. Anyone know if there is camping near water on Handies?
The mountains are calling and I must go. ~ John Muir

Postby tmathews » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:16 pm

Do you think a link to this thread should be emailed to the USFS or do you think that would piss them off since it might be the source of most of their calls? :mrgreen:

Postby big_red_pride » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:20 pm

Hey Missy,

Not sure about your Handies question, but I have moved my 4th of July weekend plans to this weekend and was thinking about Challenger/Kit Carson, that would be a backpacking trip into Willow Lake and then the hike the next day. Also, if you like a long slog up a gnarly road you can backpack into Lake Como for Blanca/Ellingwood. Just some ideas for you.

-Steve

Postby leftyslugger » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:23 pm

I'm not sure if it would help. Every time I'm talked to a Ranger District they act like I'm "not allowed" in the National Forest. I guess they think that I'm going to ruin the wilderness. I pretty much don't ever ask them for conditions anymore because they always say "it's too dangerous," I guess to discourage use.

A thread like this may just make them keep it closed to keep people out. Who knows. It doesn't screw me too much, but for those who need Holy Cross to complete the 14ers it must really suck.

Postby Missy_Goat » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:25 pm

Thanks Steve!

However, I have done both of those beautiful hikes! Enjoy Willow Lake - It's a butt kicking hike, but the reward of Willow Lake is well worth it!
The mountains are calling and I must go. ~ John Muir

Postby big_red_pride » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:29 pm

Your welcome Missy. I guess I should have looked at your 14ers list first. From what I've heard and seen both the hikes back into Snowmass and the Bells have beautiful spots to camp out and then make the hike/climb the next day. Other than that I'm out of suggestions. Good luck on what ever you end up doing!

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:39 pm

I've looked around and can't find any Press Release or public notice that this was going to happen during summer, 2011. Anyone else run across any public notice? If they are going to simply close off a popular trailhead without notice, they should expect to answer some tough questions. And, October?! Come on.

It's our land, we should ask questions. Again...
I urge anyone even remotely interested in hiking Holy Cross this summer to call the US Forest Service office and inquire about the road. Let's make them realize how many people this would impact!

USFS Holy Cross office: 970-827-5715
USFS Eagle District office: 970-328-6388

Email: johnlpeterson@fs.fed.us
cc: cbmyers@fs.fed.us
"There's no recess and no rules in the school of life" - D. Mustaine

Postby CarpeDM » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:41 pm

jimmtman wrote:The lady ranger said that walking on the road was permitted ...

That's interesting because I specifically asked about hiking the road and was told that - although the decision wasn't final - they were thinking of closing it to all human traffic.
"Skepticism is the first step towards truth." - Denis Diderot
"It is not what the man of science believes that distinguishes him, but how and why he believes it. His beliefs are tentative, not dogmatic; they are based on evidence, not on authority or intuition." - Bertrand Russell
"Tell people there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure." - George Carlin
"Some say they're goin' to a place called Glory And I ain't saying it ain't a fact. But I've heard that I'm on the road to Purgatory And I don't like the sound of that.
I believe in love and I live my life accordingly. But I choose to let the mystery be" - Iris Dement

PreviousNext