First real bear encounter

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Re: First real bear encounter

Post by Jim Davies »

Does the fire last year affect that hike or the road any? (I'm guessing not...)
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
traderaaron
14ers: 16 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (3)

Post by traderaaron »

Jim Davies wrote:Does the fire last year affect that hike or the road any? (I'm guessing not...)
No, the fire came very close but did not affect if coming in from the east over Medano Pass.

I'll be heading back to summit Herard and Medano sometime this summer or fall I hope.
HunkyDunk
14ers: 58 
13ers: 54
Trip Reports (0)

Post by HunkyDunk »

I have climbed Culebra twice, and each time, I have seen the cinnamon color phase of black bear. First time I saw only one. The second time, climbing with friends then doing Red Mountain with it, saw 3 cinnamons. Hiking up to Willow Lakes a few years back to climb Challenger and Carson, 'bumped' into a nice large black on the trail about half way up. Also while backpacking into Stewart Creek area for San Luis, we had a black bear circling camp one night! Quite exciting !!
I love to be in the mountain air, simply because I am happiest there!!,,,,www.ricksportraits.net
Point North
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Point North »

If it had been a real brown bear (Mr. Grizz) and you had clanked your trekking poles and talked sass to him like that, you'd be scat.
ChrisinAZ
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 36
Trip Reports (12)

Post by ChrisinAZ »

Heh, somehow I missed this thread the first time around.

Matt and I did indeed experience "something" in those fields on the way back to the trailhead. Peering through the trees at that loud clanking sound, for half a second I thought I glimpsed something large, rounded, and dark brown through the trees. Unsurprisingly, I didn't try to venture closer!

The first two miles up the Medano Creek Trail should be in the dictionary under "bear country". Also, "spectacular".
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
— Jack Handy

Mah peaks
gurlyclimber
14ers: 34 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gurlyclimber »

I've been living down in the Roxborough Park area for about 1 month now. Within that month I have been huffed at by a bear in Elk Valley, watched one amble along the hillside beside the main road in the park and I ran upon another one grazing on the Elk Valley Trail. He was big and very close. He stared at me for a few seconds. Actually he watched me long enough for me to have time to wonder if he was going to come after me or run away. Luckily he ran away. So did I, after he did of course! There’s a lot of local wildlife in Roxborough Park, especially at dusk. I still get a giddy adrenaline rush every time I see a bear. Come to think of it, if I combine those encounters with the 2 cubs that I saw while bouldering in Deer Creek Canyon, I have seen a total of 5 bears this past spring. And they were all in the Littleton area. AWESOOOOOMMMEEEEE!!! Those of us who live here are so lucky!