Lugging your DSLR around

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
livetothemax96
14ers: 10  5  3 
13ers: 14 2 1
Trip Reports (1)

Lugging your DSLR around

Post by livetothemax96 »

I lately have opted out of taking my camera climbing or skiing because it is ungainly to carry i an paranoid that it might brake. However I some how always miss the good photo-ops , :-k , i wonder why? Any solutions (that dont require getting a point and shoot), what do you do?
whats life unless you live it?
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Re: Lugging your DSLR around

Post by Bean »

Get a LowePro TLZ-1 (or similar camera bag that fits your camera + lens). Put the waistbelt on your pack through the beltloop on the back of the TLZ-1. Hook a biner from one of the D-rings on the TLZ and attach it to the shoulder strap or something similar to restrain it back out of your way. I should just write a blog post when I have time on this issue since I keep repeating myself.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
centrifuge
14ers: 57  1  2 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (33)

Post by centrifuge »

or be cheap and put it in a gallon size ziplock bag and stuff it inside your extra clothing in your pack. I keep a p&s in my pocket for impromptu action shots. the drawback is that you have to take your pack off to get at the big camera, but usually by the time I want to use it I am trying to get different angles and would have had to pop it off anyway. I agree Bean, it does seem like this is a yearly thread.
"i feel so extraordinary, somethings got a hold on me, I get this feeling I'm in motion, a sudden sence of liberty“ new order
spaceman
14ers: 19 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (5)

Post by spaceman »

Bean wrote:Get a LowePro TLZ-1 (or similar camera bag that fits your camera + lens). Put the waistbelt on your pack through the beltloop on the back of the TLZ-1. Hook a biner from one of the D-rings on the TLZ and attach it to the shoulder strap or something similar to restrain it back out of your way. I should just write a blog post when I have time on this issue since I keep repeating myself.
That's the way I do it. I have a Denali camera bag that fits the camera and having it on the belt loop, I find I get a lot more shots. I don't usually carry the telephoto lens in the mountain, but could easily put it in my pack.

I found that if the camera is in my bag, it rarely gets used except for the summit shot

Derek
climbing_rob
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

centrifuge wrote:... I agree Bean, it does seem like this is a yearly thread.
Who cares? Lots of thread get repeated, that's the nature of online forums (fora?). Bean repeats the same complaint over and over.

I use a "zing" case when I (rarely) carry my DSLR climbing / backpacking. About 8 ounces or so. Silly to carry anything heavier, the Zing protects the camera and a single lens well (I've "tested" this many times), and the camera is still hanging from your neck and immediately available for use; I quickly strip off the Zing care, poke my left hand through the case-hole to hold it out of the way, take my shots, then slip the Zing case back on in seconds. No cumbersome case to deal with. Here's a link to the type of Zing case I'm talking about; it comes in various sizes depending on what lens you normally have mounted. When I (even more rarly) carry other lenses, they reside tucked away in clothing in the backpack.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... CGYQ8wIwAw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rking007
14ers: 13  1 
13ers: 19 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rking007 »

I can't speak for winter or technical climbing but so far for me I've found that having the strap on my 30d a little longer and wearing it like a bandolier works just fine for me. I can pull the strap around and keep the camera out of my way and when the shot presents itself, swing it back around and take the shot. For lenses, you could either get something that covers a wider zoom range or you could collect various lenses that target specific ranges. You could also rent lenses (cameron photo in Denver is a great place - Approx $26 a day) for a weekend or a few days so your not incurring thousands of dollars of cost for the sake of potential shots. At any rate, I'd say do what it takes to get the memory/shot! I would rather have a point and shoot if it helps me take more pics than spend a bunch of money on a camera that just adds weight and spends it's trip in the bag.
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.
centrifuge
14ers: 57  1  2 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (33)

Post by centrifuge »

climbing_rob wrote:
centrifuge wrote:... I agree Bean, it does seem like this is a yearly thread.
Who cares? Lots of thread get repeated, that's the nature of online forums (fora?). Bean repeats the same complaint over and over.
Wasn't complaining, just agreeing.
"i feel so extraordinary, somethings got a hold on me, I get this feeling I'm in motion, a sudden sence of liberty“ new order
spaceman
14ers: 19 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (5)

Post by spaceman »

The Zing case looks like it might be very useful. I may have to try that out.

Two things I have learned about carrying the camera in a case on the hip belt:
1. Make sure to use the biner to clip it to the pack. Before I figured that one out, I occasionally would take of the pack and have the camera go flying or it would stay on the ground when I picked up the pack, with the risk of losing it.

2. The case I have doesn't zip closed, just a clip, which is nice for easy access, but be careful if you are glissading. I have ended up with snow in the case.

Luckily neither of these lessons damaged the camera, but would hate to see a nice camera ruined.

Derek
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

Last edited by Bean on Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
thexcat
14ers: 6 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by thexcat »

centrifuge wrote:or be cheap and put it in a gallon size ziplock bag and stuff it inside your extra clothing in your pack.
Yeah, but then what happens if you need to use the extra clothes :D

I'm also trying to find a solution to carry a my dslr: rebel + 70-200 telephoto lens (f4). If anybody has solved this conundrum, do share please.
mattpayne11
14ers: 58 
13ers: 111
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

I also stuggle with this idea, since I just obtained a DSLR this season.

I went ahead and ordered a LowePro Toploader bag and a harness:

http://www.adorama.com/LPTLZ55AWBL.html?kbid=66322" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - bag
http://www.adorama.com/LPTLZCH.html?kbid=66322" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - harness

I hope they arrive today so I can test them out. The idea is that the harness keeps the camera on your chest and the bag is toploading, so you have immediate access to the camera. I am hopeful!

There's some video out there on how it works:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8XSESxZhiI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They sell different sizes based on the size of your camera and lenses, and sell optional lens pockets that attach to the size. Seems like a great system for skiers and hikers.. much better than the bulky bag I have been lugging around lately.
The_Godfather
14ers: 18 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by The_Godfather »

just toss it in your pack (carefully of course), bring a waterproof bag or have a water proof pack for the rain, and take it off or have a hiking partner to grab it for you. I find it makes me focus on the quality of the shot and not the quantity with spray and pray techniques. I also carry the p&s as it is light and quick access for candid shots. Neck straps suck with hikes, the top loaders from my experience fall into that same path as the neck straps as far a suckage goes with swinging around while hiking. But everyone has their own technique when it comes to carrying the bigger camera and lens.