In Memoriam: Kevin Hayne

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Re: In Memoriam: Kevin Hayne

Post by globreal »

Thanks Terry for writing this up.

It's good to remember a fellow climbing partner and friend. While it's hard to not have Kevin with us any longer, the one positive thing I can share about him is, that he had put his faith in the God of the Bible, and God's son...Jesus Christ. So, I know that Kevin has made it to the top of the ultimate summit!

1st John Chapter 5:
verse 10 The one who believes in the Son of God has the testimony in himself ; the one who does not believe God has made Him a liar, because he has not believed in the testimony that God has given concerning His Son.
verse 11 And the testimony is this, that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son.
verse 12 He who has the Son has the life ; he who does not have the Son of God does not have the life.
Last edited by globreal on Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EatinHardtack
14ers: 42  20  3 
13ers: 79 32 2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by EatinHardtack »

Still think about you Kevin, miss having you up these mountains with us. Positive vibes all around for you my friend.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
JLOHARA
14ers: 58 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JLOHARA »

I am glad I was able to hike with and get to know Kevin. Such a loss to this world. He was an extraordinary young man! Way beyond his years.
"Onwards"
Jodi
globreal
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

This was an amazing evening to be out to remember a fellow 14er.com climbing friend.
Attachments
On THE BLUFFS Regional Park in Lone Tree, CO.
On THE BLUFFS Regional Park in Lone Tree, CO.
IMG_0221_edited.jpg (247.18 KiB) Viewed 3809 times
globreal
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

"We are not focusing on the number of days since we lost Kevin.....
but looking at it's that many days less, until we see him again."

Lynn Hayne (Kevin's father)
15 June, 2011
Attachments
IMG_0222_edited.jpg
IMG_0222_edited.jpg (328.03 KiB) Viewed 3809 times
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

It looks like it was a really nice evening, Britt. Thanks.
Winter8000m
14ers: 29  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (35)

Post by Winter8000m »

May it not be a time to be saddened but a time to rejoice for where Kevin is right now. I thought it was cool that the memorial hike yesterday was not a time of "mourning" but really a time of rejoicing of where Kevin is right now. Though there was still mourning for personal sake.

Personally, I won't forget the adventures we shared, inside jokes, and friendship we shared while we knew each other. From the video editing, him supporting my presentations. The impact of them. And most of all what he stood for. The experiences we went through were the most intense I've been through. Something that created an instant bond and trust like I've never experienced. Never would I thought he would lose his life a year after. But it was God's planning. May your rest in piece. You won't be forgotten. Ill see you soon.
Last edited by Winter8000m on Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.daring8000dreams.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Life is too short to waste away

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13)
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight" (Proverbs 3:5-6)
Top of the World
14ers: 16 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Top of the World »

A short message to those of you who remember Kevin this month. This is Kevin's dad and first climbing partner. Though I read through and deeply appreciated the posts from last year, I simply couldn't post at that time. Please know how much your words (even those of warning and questioning the decisions made that day) were very much appreciated. Echoing what many of you have said, this is an amazing yet very dangerous sport. Though I miss it terribly, it's too painful for me to climb anymore, so I have chosen to hang up the climbing poles and boots. My heart, though, will always remember the heights with fondness.

My wife, daughter, and I have had the pleasure of meeting some of you since Kevin's death, and we know how much this community meant to Kevin. Thank you(!) for your acceptance of Kevin among your ranks and for your support and prayers for us this past year. We face each new day knowing that Kevin died doing something he loved like crazy, that he trained for, and that made him who he was. He often told us he felt closer to God on the top of a mountain than almost anywhere else!

My advice to each of you is to heed the warnings shared here and never, NEVER lose sight of the danger. It's always just a step away. Kevin often turned around, and in those situations, our climbing motto was "the mountain's not going anywhere." With the 2011 summer season in full swing, I ask each of you to be particularly careful. And when you're fortunate enough to stand on the summit of a 14er, take a moment to enjoy it (and the Creator of it) for Kevin.

Our prayers will definitely be with you.
Onwards,
Lynn Hayne
Johnson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

Top of the World wrote:A short message to those of you who remember Kevin this month. This is Kevin's dad and first climbing partner. Though I read through and deeply appreciated the posts from last year, I simply couldn't post at that time. Please know how much your words (even those of warning and questioning the decisions made that day) were very much appreciated. Echoing what many of you have said, this is an amazing yet very dangerous sport. Though I miss it terribly, it's too painful for me to climb anymore, so I have chosen to hang up the climbing poles and boots. My heart, though, will always remember the heights with fondness.

My wife, daughter, and I have had the pleasure of meeting some of you since Kevin's death, and we know how much this community meant to Kevin. Thank you(!) for your acceptance of Kevin among your ranks and for your support and prayers for us this past year. We face each new day knowing that Kevin died doing something he loved like crazy, that he trained for, and that made him who he was. He often told us he felt closer to God on the top of a mountain than almost anywhere else!

My advice to each of you is to heed the warnings shared here and never, NEVER lose sight of the danger. It's always just a step away. Kevin often turned around, and in those situations, our climbing motto was "the mountain's not going anywhere." With the 2011 summer season in full swing, I ask each of you to be particularly careful. And when you're fortunate enough to stand on the summit of a 14er, take a moment to enjoy it (and the Creator of it) for Kevin.

Our prayers will definitely be with you.
Onwards,
Lynn Hayne

Lynn, Prayers on your families behalf as well as Kevin's friends that he left behind for a short time, Imagine his views now. No doubt he was blessed by the verse, "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain." His gain will be ours as well and then you can climb with him again. All the best.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene
globreal
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

Lynn,

Thank you for your post. Thank you for your advice and reminder....that we can be just one step away from eternity...whether that's in heaven or elsewhere.

To those of you on 14ers.com that were not at Kevin's memorial service, Kevin had a favorite Bible verse:

Philippians 3:13 (The Message translation)
Friends, don't get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I've got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward - to Jesus.

That's why so many of us here use the term "onwards" as a signature....as a memorandum to Kevin.
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

AMEN to all these memorials for Kevin.

We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be abesent from the body, and present with the Lord: II Corinthians 5:8.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
Skyview
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Skyview »

I'm posting an image taken on a trip of Lutheran High School - Parker students, teachers, and family, taken on June 15, 2011 at Eagles Nest in Austria. The students were on a 2 week trip to Europe (with an emphasis on WWII history) and they wanted to take the picture in remembrance of Kevin... note the "onward" on the sign they hold. Although not a 14er (believe 6017 feet) I thought the group would be interested in the remberance photo by Kevin's classmates.
2011-Kimberly-Europe Trip-558.jpg
2011-Kimberly-Europe Trip-558.jpg (249.26 KiB) Viewed 2808 times