Horton The Quandary Dog's Plaque

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Horton The Quandary Dog's Plaque

Post by MtHurd »

Why not a post in the Climber Memorial section at 14ers.com? It's a piece of 14er history even though he was just a dog.
The_Godfather
14ers: 18 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by The_Godfather »

I love dogs, but this is a terrible idea. Regardless how popular this dog was, you put this in and every animal lover will put stuff like this in as well. Bad enough everyone wants to put one in when someone dies, but now a pet? Yes pets are like family, but as a pet owner, I would not allow this. As LNT, I would never allow this. As popular as this hike is....one can only image what would be placed next. Don't get me wrong, I admire the intention, but think the idea is completely off base and I'd hate to see it happen.
hotrod
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hotrod »

I, personally, like the idea. Horton was a legend of sorts, and his story told briefly on a plaque would, I believe, be of interest to new climbers or those unfamiliar with Horton. Call it historical, if you like. Just my 2¢.
Growing older is inevitable, but getting old is not.
USAKeller
14ers: 58  24  24 
13ers: 169 3 7
Trip Reports (46)

Post by USAKeller »

Barry Raven wrote:Why not a post in the Climber Memorial section at 14ers.com? It's a piece of 14er history even though he was just a dog.
I agree! Just moved it...
MtHurd
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

Just to archive his articles. Horton died on April 25, 2011.

http://climbing.about.com/b/2011/04/29/ ... g-life.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://climbing.about.com/b/2008/09/12/ ... ry-dog.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
schumi248
14ers: 17 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by schumi248 »

Just out of curiosity, how did Quandary Peak get it's name?? I'll admit i dont know much about this particular mountain. Does Horton hold the record for number of ascents?? If so, could the mountain be renamed Mt. Horton??
Fisching
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 144 1
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Fisching »

schumi248 wrote:Just out of curiosity, how did Quandary Peak get it's name?? I'll admit i dont know much about this particular mountain.
http://www.themoens.com/Photos/Hike/Hik ... uandry.htm

"The mountain got its name from early miners who were confused by the strange ore they found on the mountain -- they were 'in a quandary.'"
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."
"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."
"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."
14erFred
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14erFred »

schumi248 wrote:Just out of curiosity, how did Quandary Peak get it's name?? I'll admit i dont know much about this particular mountain. Does Horton hold the record for number of ascents?? If so, could the mountain be renamed Mt. Horton??
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/historyvi ... %20History
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius
MtHurd
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

Time flies. Today is the first anniversary of the death of Horton.