Horton The Quandary Dog's Plaque

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
SuperiorTrailHiker
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Horton The Quandary Dog's Plaque

Post by SuperiorTrailHiker »

Buckshot Jake wrote:It's a dog, yes this is an absolute terrible idea.
Well, I will say that if that's the sole content of the objection, duly noted and onward. People have gone to far greater lengths to honor a dog. If there's something else that I'm not factoring in, totally ready to consider it.
gurlyclimber
14ers: 34 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gurlyclimber »

JB99 wrote:So am I the only one who thinks this is a terrible idea?
I completely agree!
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by kushrocks »

tmathews wrote:
I don't know that it's necessarily a "terrible" idea, but I do think there are better causes that we can donate to in his name that can actually make a difference in the lives of people and those of our furry friends -- specific breed dog rescues, no kill shelters, puppy mill rescues, Search & Rescue Dogs of Colorado -- just to name a few.
Agreed!!! Although as a dog lover I dont think its a terrible idea at all.
Last edited by kushrocks on Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
SuperiorTrailHiker
Trip Reports (0)

gurlyclimber wrote:
I completely agree!
You agree because [reason] [/reason]
Coucher73
14ers: 25 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Coucher73 »

I'm not going to lie -- my first inclination was to look to see if this thread was created on April 1st.

I was disappointed to see that it wasn't. No disrespect meant to anyone, but I clearly just don't get the point of spending money on a plaque for a dog. So many better things could be done with that kind of money (original poster said the quote was for "eight bills" which I assume meant $800).
ztop
14ers: 56 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ztop »

Buckshot Jake wrote:It's a dog, yes this is an absolute terrible idea.
How much time did anyone on this site actually spend with Horton? A few hours while you were hiking one day? Why do you need a plaque? If you've got great memories of someone else's dog, isn't that enough?
JB99
14ers: 41 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (21)

Post by JB99 »

Sorry my response was brief, I'm on my iPhone. I just don't think it's a good idea for several reasons, and I was fortunate enough to hike Quandary with Horton too. For one I think something like this should be decided by and the impotence of the owners (who live close enough that they could place a plaque in their front yard.) Two, I am generally predisposed to an LNT mentality, including plaques for fallen climbers. Three, Horton didn't die on Quandary. Four, several people have died on Quandary and I don't see or think there should be any plaque for them. Five... well, you probably get my point. I didn't mean to be insulting with my choice of the word terrible, so please accept my apologies if it came off that way. Tmathews makes a great point about better things (in my opinion) that could be done in Horton's honor. And just for the record, I do indeed love dogs very much and think Horton was awesome, just not one for the plaque idea... My two cents of course and it certainly wouldn't ruin my day if the plaque ends up getting put in.
JB99
14ers: 41 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (21)

Post by JB99 »

And just to add, I know this is a very good natured suggestion and I probably should have shown it more respect with my response, and for that I apologize
SuperiorTrailHiker
Trip Reports (0)

JB99 wrote:And just to add, I know this is a very good natured suggestion and I probably should have shown it more respect with my response, and for that I apologize

No worries - as promised, nothing personal, and reasons understood.

I was just thinking that, beyond the regular scope of memorializing fallen climbers, or people vs. dogs, or spending money to put a man on the moon when there's diseases to cure, this was one way to honor a very cool episode in the history of that area. Sometimes you put up a plaque because it's fun, in other words, and not because it's important.

I am, however, nowhere near local to the area, don't know the owners or the owners of the land, and have never raised any funds online before, so overall I'm not exactly sure where I thought I was going with this. Idea dropped on my end.
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

JB99 wrote:Sorry my response was brief, I'm on my iPhone. I just don't think it's a good idea for several reasons, and I was fortunate enough to hike Quandary with Horton too. For one I think something like this should be decided by and the impotence of the owners (who live close enough that they could place a plaque in their front yard.) Two, I am generally predisposed to an LNT mentality, including plaques for fallen climbers. Three, Horton didn't die on Quandary. Four, several people have died on Quandary and I don't see or think there should be any plaque for them. Five... well, you probably get my point. I didn't mean to be insulting with my choice of the word terrible, so please accept my apologies if it came off that way. Tmathews makes a great point about better things (in my opinion) that could be done in Horton's honor. And just for the record, I do indeed love dogs very much and think Horton was awesome, just not one for the plaque idea... My two cents of course and it certainly wouldn't ruin my day if the plaque ends up getting put in.
I would have to agree with that. I'm a big fan of leave no trace and keeping the landscape natural.
http://wanderingthemountains.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cheeseburglar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 79 2 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by cheeseburglar »

I think the plaque is a great idea.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes
crossfitter
Trip Reports (7)

Post by crossfitter »

If LNT is such a big deal, we should probably get rid of all trail signs, trails, and parking lots. Don't even get me started on the Keyhole bullseyes, let alone the Pikes and Evans summit structures. Horton is a piece of Quandary history and while I'm not planning on spending money on a plaque, I think it would be a cool addition to the TH. Seeing as how Quandary has a paved road and houses all the way up to the TH, you can't exactly call it a bastion of pristine wilderness anyway.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack