Horton The Quandary Dog's Plaque

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
SuperiorTrailHiker
Trip Reports (0)

Horton The Quandary Dog's Plaque

Post by SuperiorTrailHiker »

OK, read the thread about Horton, and although I never met him, a memorial plaque at the trailhead for this guy has got to happen.

I have never tried to organize any kind of fundraiser online, so I am not sure about the best way to approach this.

However, seems like the best place to start is to find out what one would cost.

So I went here:

http://www.thebronzeplaque.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And I entered information for a quote. Bronze plaque 24" square, with the inscription:

"In Memory of Horton The Quandary Dog

2001 - 2011

May His Spirit Find Peace in High Places"

(Not sure the dates are totally right, and the text is just sort of a placeholder, I'm sure someone who knew him could do better).

and lastly, a photo of Horton etched on the plaque.

Once I have the quote back from this place, I'll post it here for comment. Maybe others have actually done this before and can provide info on a better way to go, but that's what I got for the time being. Set up a PayPal account for folks to donate to, or something? Maybe Bill would let there be a sticky link to it on this site?

Horton's whole story is cool, and he sounds like a wonderful dog, but it was the picture of him running happily with the skier that got me where I live. This dog needs to be honored.
Cptkahuna
14ers: 12 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Horton The Quandary Dog's Plaque

Post by Cptkahuna »

My friend and I (from Iowa) climbed Quandary with Horton in August of 2004. I would be willing to chip in for a marker.
People sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men and women stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellom!
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

Don't you think that, out of respect, you should ask his owners if this is okay with them? If they adhere to LNT principles, they might not appreciate a permanent marker. Plus, depending on where you want the plaque, you will have to get permission from either whoever owns the land near there or the National Forest Service/BLM (whoever's responsible for the land).
SuperiorTrailHiker
Trip Reports (0)

tmathews wrote:Don't you think that, out of respect, you should ask his owners if this is okay with them?
Good point, and yes I should. I made an assumption based on the overall Horton mojo that it would be OK, but assuming is never good.

They of course have veto rights. I'm not local to CO, so wrangling the red tape, if this is OK to do, would be pretty difficult from my end. Just looking to get the ball rolling somehow.

As a comment, I try to go as LNT as I possibly can myself, but I'd put a posthole in the ground for this guy.
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

The current trailhead for Quandary Peak is very near some private land. It'd probably be easiest to find the land owner and see if you could place it on their land near the trailhead. The Forest Service will not allow you to place the plaque on their land.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
SuperiorTrailHiker
Trip Reports (0)

CO Native wrote:The current trailhead for Quandary Peak is very near some private land. It'd probably be easiest to find the land owner and see if you could place it on their land near the trailhead. The Forest Service will not allow you to place the plaque on their land.
Sweet, that bodes better than any government entanglement. I know a GIS dooder who's pretty astute, might put him on the trail of locating the owner if he's willing.

Just in case, right on.
Weegie5
14ers: 42  1 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Weegie5 »

I'd be willing to throw in a few bucks for this. I saw Horton when I did Quandry, but we already had canine company (my yellow lab), so he went along with a different group that day.
~James
Inky6900
14ers: 57 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Inky6900 »

I'd be willing to contribute as well...granted everything clears permissions.

Typically I think all of us strive for the Leave No Trace policy but in this case I do think something should be considered.

Having done research and collected information for the section in my book called The History of 14er Dogs, I can really appreciate what Horton did. Horton set a record that I believe will never be broken. But seems mostly appropriate to remember him because he loved the peak so much. His accomplishments reflect that love. I agree something at or very near the trailhead would be best. But this is all just my humble opinion.
With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.
JB99
14ers: 41 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (21)

Post by JB99 »

So am I the only one who thinks this is a terrible idea?
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

JB99 wrote:So am I the only one who thinks this is a terrible idea?
I don't know that it's necessarily a "terrible" idea, but I do think there are better causes that we can donate to in his name that can actually make a difference in the lives of people and those of our furry friends -- specific breed dog rescues, no kill shelters, puppy mill rescues, Search & Rescue Dogs of Colorado -- just to name a few.
SuperiorTrailHiker
Trip Reports (0)

JB99 - say why, dude - I won't take it personally. Admittedly I may be off base here and haven't spent dime one yet, so I could definitely be talked down. I get a little enthusiastic about dogs, and with a pre-existing personal predilection for tradition and paying honors where they're due, I threw this out. No blood no foul if it's a bad plan. I think this is a very cool part of the history and tradition of that area, and furthers the culture of appreciating those that love the high places.

Tmathews - yep, true. Speaking just for myself, I already do that, though - my family dogs come from rescue shelters and I contribute both time and dollars to bettering the lives and conditions of other living dogs already. This is separate, and not taking away from the other activity the way I see it.

Got the quote back, by the way. Eight bills, 12" square.
Buckshot Jake
14ers: 58 
13ers: 71
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Buckshot Jake »

It's a dog, yes this is an absolute terrible idea.
Buckshot

14er Finisher No. 1,580 ALL TIME