Horton the Quandary Dog Dies After a Full Climbing Life

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Horton the Quandary Dog Dies After a Full Climbing Life

Post by Jim Davies »

You could just get some stickers printed up from one of the Horton pictures, then paste them around everywhere. Not that I'm advocating that, just something you could do. :-"
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Inky6900
14ers: 57 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Inky6900 »

First of all, I never met Horton and really wished I had. I'm very saddened by hearing of his death. Reading this post really hits home for me. Many of you know I have climbed nearly all of the 14ers with my dog, Sawyer. Soy will be 11 years old this Thursday, June 9. He and Horton were virtually identical in age and both spent their entire lives climbing 14ers.

And I do agree with some of the comments here that it would be cool to see a bronze plaque or something to honor Horton. I also agree that it would be great to have Bill put this thread in the memorial section.

A few years ago I was hoping to meet Horton and the Pfau family and get a few photos for my book "Climbing Colorado's 14ers with Sawyer." Mostly I wanted to get photos of Sawyer and Horton together. As it turned out, the Pfau family and myself could never get times arranged that would accommodate both parties.

Horton is going to be recognized in my book in the section called "The History of 14er Dogs." He along with many other dogs will be honored for their amazing accomplishments on these peaks.

RIP Horton. Soy and I will climb a 14er with you in heaven.

Josh
With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.
PattyCakes
14ers: 42  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PattyCakes »

Horton was one of a kind Lab! I meet Horton just like many other people did, up on Quandary. He followed my dog Rocky and I all the way to the top and back. I had no idea who's dog it was at first, Horton just keeped hiking with us just like he was part of my pack. I couldn't belevie his dog was just following us, but it was one of the coolest experences on a 14ner iv ever had. Horton was defently the coolest dog iv ever seen, and I'm sure he will really be missed up on the mountain! Rest in peace Horton, ill be thinking of you everytime I'm in the area!
PattyCakes
14ers: 42  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PattyCakes »

Let's get a Bronze Plaque at the trial head!!! In the memory of Horton, he really deserves it!!!
SuperiorTrailHiker
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SuperiorTrailHiker »

I never met Horton and have never climbed Quandary, but I would donate to a memorial plaque fund in a heartbeat. There's gotta be a memorial for this good dog at the trailhead.
Cptkahuna
14ers: 12 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Cptkahuna »

My friend and I were lucky enought to be "selected" by Horton as his climbing partners for the day when we climbed Quandary in Aug 2004. Very memorable day with a memorable dog. I would be willing to help with a plaque.
People sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men and women stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellom!
Greg Helmerick
14ers: 47 
13ers: 37
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Greg Helmerick »

For all my years and all the times I climbed Quandary, I never had the opportunity to meet Horton, but man do I wish I had. Tales of your adventures will be missed buddy!
phillinley
14ers: 15  2 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by phillinley »

I just found this thread, and I had no idea that dog was so famous. I met Horton on a winter ascent and the dog was really freaking me out because it was February and I had this dog who wouldn't leave my side going up a fourteener with me in winter. I kept worrying about him being up so high and with it being so cold he might freeze to death, but he just kept tagging along like it was his job all nonchalant. Reading all the stories about him now, I would agree that a plaque for Horton at the trailhead would be really cool.
awillson
14ers: 34 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by awillson »

My wife and I met Horton a couple years ago on Quandary. He followed us all the way up and all the way down. It was June, and we glissaded for much of the descent. Horton was sliding right next to me the whole way down! I am not a dog person, and I generally don't like most dogs, but Horton was an exception. RIP.
canderna
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by canderna »

Horton's reputation was well known. We had met Horton in 2009 at the shop in Breckenridge. One of the few days he was not ascending Quandary. In June 2010, my wife and I made our 1st trek up Quandary. It was a beautiful day. When we arrived, there were already several cars at the trail head. To our surprise, there stood Horton. It was like he was just waiting for us to get started. After a photo op with Horton, my wife and I started up the trail with our 2 dogs. To our surprise, Horton picked us to travel with.

Fritz (Black and Tan, 9), Naya (Red, 12), Horton, my wife (not giving out her age :-# ), and I had a great day. We were so blessed to have Horton join us for the memorable hike.

We were blessed to spend a day with such a wonderful spirit!
Attachments
On top of Quandary June 2010
On top of Quandary June 2010
Horton_on_Quandray_June_2010.jpg (107.66 KiB) Viewed 4190 times
Horton June 2010
Horton June 2010
Horton_June_2010.jpg (129.18 KiB) Viewed 4190 times
Fritz, Horton, and Naya
Fritz, Horton, and Naya
Fritz_Horton_Naya_June_2010.jpg (164.9 KiB) Viewed 4190 times
Craig
Shawnee Bob
14ers: 22 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Shawnee Bob »

Quandary East Ridge=Horton Ridge. I mean, he hiked it more than anyone, right?
Because life's too short to be an indoor cat.

http://proactiveoutside.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

Shawnee Bob wrote:Quandary East Ridge=Horton Ridge. I mean, he hiked it more than anyone, right?
+1.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach